Thread: Strange Gig

User Info Menu

Default Strange Gig

This past Saturday we had a gig at a carnival in a nearby town. We try hard to get these types of gigs, because the money is generally better and we don't have to draw our own crowd. They are also difficult to get because there are hundreds of local bands competing for them. We were originally scheduled for 2-4 PM, but later got offered the headliner slot, 7-9:30. The Friday night headline slot was booked with a country band that is extremely popular and plays about 150 gigs a year, so we felt very fortunate.
    The weather around here has been unbearable, hot and extremely humid for 2 weeks now. Luckily we were able to get our vehicles right next to the bandshell trailer, so load in was easy.
    On the second to last song of the first set, the power suddenly went out. Apparently the generator rented for the bands and DJ was underpowered. We found out that it happened 3 times to the band the night before. After considerable time, they got that sorted out and we were eventually able to finish our set, although we ended up playing way fewer songs. The power outage really stopped the momentum that was building as more people were gathering to hear us. By the time we finished, a few hundred people were actually watching us and not just walking by on their way to rides or food stands, and they applauded and wanted an encore. We were pleased that we went over well.
    The lady who booked us thought we were great, but she mistakenly shorted us $100 when she paid the band leader. He didn't count it in front of her and thought it might be too late to say something once he realized the mistake. We convinced him to confront her about it and she was really cool about it and happily gave us the balance.
    Today we received an email apologizing again for the error and she said she hopes we'll be back next year. So a very strange night, but in the end a very good gig all things considered.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Default Re: Strange Gig

Too bad about the power outage, but it sure isn't the bands' fault! Glad you got your $ too, and that you didn't have to get uptight about it!

User Info Menu

Another rock & roll adventure!

User Info Menu

Doesn't sound too bad. You got to play. You were liked. You got paid. Good night IMHO.

User Info Menu

Gotta love when they cheap out on power!

We had a gig where the place didn't have enough power in their breakers and we kept tripping them... what a horrible show. lol

User Info Menu

Why not have an "unplugged" set as a back up?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Why not have an "unplugged" set as a back up?

all the best...
    Actually, because we have several weeks off until our next run of gigs, we are completely changing up our sets, grouping songs together by artist/genre, as well as adding an acoustic mini set. I've been looking at cajons as well. I've never played one, and there's so many out there I'm finding it hard to choose. So far I'm leaning toward the Meinl Subwoofer Jumbo Bass model. I tried it out at GC and liked the sound.

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    Too bad about the power outage, but it sure isn't the bands' fault!
    Been in that situation on more than a few occasions. No, not the band's fault .. but you can still feel pretty stupid just standing around up there.

I played bass in a band in the early 90's. We were playing on the stage at the Empire State Regatta, a big annual event they used to run in Albany, on the Hudson River. Power went out.. our singer (the pro that she is), didn't miss a beat. She unplugged her acoustic guitar, jumped off the stage, and continued singing and playing ... serenading the audience in their lawn chairs, close-up. I put down my bass, jumped down to join her, playing rhythm with my spoons (which I used on a few songs while the guitarist would cover on bass).

The rest of the group stayed on stage feeling stupid, until the techs got the power back.

---

Anyway .. everything turned our good for you, and you get another band story to tell for years to come.

User Info Menu

As far as the inadequate generator goes, whenever we play a gig that requires a generator, we ask for the generator specs. We know what is required. If whatever they're providing isn't up to par, we tell them that what they are providing won't get 'er done and they need to upgrade. If they balk.......we walk.

User Info Menu

For future shows, when we know we will be relying on generator power, we will be sure to find out upfront if it will be sufficient.

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones: