Thread: Finding the Right Ride

User Info Menu

Default Finding the Right Ride

Hey guys,

I used to post here pretty often a number of years ago. Now I'm back with a few questions.

Right now I am using a Paiste 5 20" ride cymbal. The sound I'm going for now is more of a darker, crashable ride cymbal. Meinl seems to have a lot options for this route, but there are just so many it's overwhelming.

I've been looking at their Transition Ride but I would love to hear your opinions and thoughts.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Finding the Right Ride

Couple of suggestions from what I've played. The Zildjian Sweet rides are good all around crashable rides, 21" and 23" - mellow but not super dark. Meinl Sand Ride is dark and washy - almost bought one of those.

User Info Menu

I own 2 rides, both Meinl Byzance. One is a 20" Dark Raw Bell which is very dark but also pretty heavy so not very crashable. The other is a prototype, 20" Jazz / Extra Dry, and that crashes very well but you don't lose the stick sound.
    I would look into the Jazz and Extra Dry lines. Some of the jazz series may be too washy, but not all and you can crash just about all of them.

User Info Menu

Whats your style of music?

I base my rides off of music type

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gabbyborges View Post
    Hey guys,

I used to post here pretty often a number of years ago. Now I'm back with a few questions.

Right now I am using a Paiste 5 20" ride cymbal. The sound I'm going for now is more of a darker, crashable ride cymbal. Meinl seems to have a lot options for this route, but there are just so many it's overwhelming.

I've been looking at their Transition Ride but I would love to hear your opinions and thoughts.
    Welcome to DC! If you're using Paiste PST5, it's made from B8 bronze. Almost any ride made from B20 will be dark in comparison. In fact, Paiste in general is noted for brighter sounding cymbals. The main question is what's your price range.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Welcome to DC! If you're using Paiste PST5, it's made from B8 bronze. Almost any ride made from B20 will be dark in comparison. In fact, Paiste in general is noted for brighter sounding cymbals. The main question is what's your price range.

My price range is anywhere from 200 bucks- about 400.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Whats your style of music?

I base my rides off of music type
    I am mostly based around funk/alt rock, but I would like a cymbal that is very versatile.

User Info Menu

ZIldjian A 21" Sweet Ride is one of the best and most versatile rides I have used. It is crashable, if needed, great bell, has a bit of a wash while riding, but thats one thing I like about it. Gives it a nice fullness of sound if not played too hard.

If you have the option, try out several of them, because there can be differences in them.

I play classic rock and blues, and the the A series I use have been outstanding for that.
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.