Thread: Year Forty Begins

User Info Menu

Default Year Forty Begins

In the Spring semester of my sophomore year of music school, I walked into my local (Dallas, Texas) drum shop in March of 1977 and ordered a set of Gretsch USA Custom shells (in Ebony Maple Gloss).................at that time, big drums were in fashion and I ordered a configuration of three-up, one down: rack toms of 13, 14 & 15 with the 18 inch FT and the conventional 14X24 bass drum.

On August 16th of 1977 we were all shocked to learn of the death of Elvis.................only 42 years old...............10 days later, on August 26th, I got a phone call............"Your drums are here -- bring a truck -- these boxes are big".

Next Friday on August 26th, I will have owned these shells 39 years.
    I was planning on posting this message on that day but last Tuesday I found out that I have a vertical fracture of tooth number 13 and the oral surgery is scheduled on the morning of Friday the 26th..............so I decided to post this early.
    Next Friday, I will begin year number 40 to own and play these wonderful drums............it's all been good...........I have no intention of gigging with anything else.

During the last few years, I have changed the configuration to 1-up, 2-down with the 13 up and the 15 used as a small FT along with the big Mama 18.............the 14 is not currently being used.

An act of pure luck............I had no idea at that young age that I was buying a classic set of drums that would last my lifetime -- I just knew they looked and sounded fantastic -- and they only get better with age.

Take this as my wish that each of you (if you have not already) eventually find the drum set that you need to make your dreams come true.

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Year Forty Begins

I don't want to turn this into a contest, but I bought the Ludwigs that I play in my videos, in either '71 or '72 at Sam Ash in NYC.

I was playing a Black Diamond Pearl set that I bought when I was in the service in '66 before I went overseas.

I called Sam Ash and told them what I wanted and the guy said to come on over and he would have them out on the floor.

It was a virgin BD (24x14) because I hated the up tom mount Ludwig used in those days. I put a Slingerland Set-O-Matic mount on that has held a 14x10 up tom for all these years.

The actual set as bought was a 13x9 and 14x10 up toms. The 13x9 I rarely used when I was gigging but use it now on a snare stand. The floor toms were 16x16 and 18x16. I got them for $525, with the Set-O-Matic thrown in.

I used that set for 90% of all the gigs I played and they are still going strong. The only difference is the re-wrap I did last year.

There were no "entry level or mid-level" sets in those days. If you ordered any major companies drums, you got their top of the line sets.

User Info Menu

Ricardo,
    That is outstanding. Man, I bet that kit could tell some stories. Congrats on 40 and here's to the next 40.

Tex

User Info Menu

I'm about seven years behind Ricardo. I took delivery of mine Feb 1983.

All I can say is this...Gretsch were making some killer drums then. Even though I can afford it, I've never seriously contemplated buying anything else. I get the same satisfaction playing them today as I did then.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Awesome story, awesome kit. It's true that wood (and whiskey) get better with age. I can't wait to complete my early 70's Ludwig kit. Like being the original owner of a vintage kit, taking old orphan shells and bringing them back to the glory of the stage gives them a special place in your heart. Their unknown history and nostalgia mix with your own modern creativity and labor. Really give you a sense of accomplishment mixed with tradition.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Rock Candy, hm...Montrose-tribute I presume?
    System of Power

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I don't want to turn this into a contest, but I bought the Ludwigs that I play in my videos, in either '71 or '72 at Sam Ash in NYC.
    Don't worry Rick -- Gretsch -v- Ludwig is not a contest.....................lol !
    Just kidding...............actually, at the time I saw the Gretsch drums, I was playing 1973 vintage Ludwigs, so I know well of the drums you play.............they were outstanding shells and I hated to part with them............but I traded them in because it was the only way I could afford to buy the Gretsch.............a student in music school with very little money.

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Ricardo,
    That is outstanding. Man, I bet that kit could tell some stories. Congrats on 40 and here's to the next 40. Tex
    Thank you Tex................most of those 39 years I have played part-time but I'm sure we are talking well over 300 gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I'm about seven years behind Ricardo. I took delivery of mine Feb 1983. All I can say is this...Gretsch were making some killer drums then. Even though I can afford it, I've never seriously contemplated buying anything else. I get the same satisfaction playing them today as I did then.
    all the best...
    Good for you KG -- you may have one of the last sets to come out of the Arkansas assembly plant.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Awesome story, awesome kit. It's true that wood (and whiskey) get better with age. I can't wait to complete my early 70's Ludwig kit.
    Thank you Bluz.
    Best of luck with the vintage kit -- you will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by hellride View Post
    Rock Candy, hm...Montrose-tribute I presume?
    I love the old Montrose stuff.................after reading the Hagar autobiography, I was disappointed to learn Montrose was so difficult with which to work.................but that is not why the band carries that name.
    The photos below spell it out...................we have an attractive (and talented) lead vocalist...............my guitar player says it best..............."We are the Rock; she is the Candy !"

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I was playing a Black Diamond Pearl set that I bought when I was in the service in '66 before I went overseas.
    Rick: do you mean Pearl as the brand "Pearl" or do you mean Ludwigs wrapped in BDP? The terms for various wraps were used before there was a Pearl drum company.

There were no "entry level or mid-level" sets in those days. If you ordered any major companies drums, you got their top of the line sets.
    True. When I bought Gretsch I was rather naive and never expected them to be anything other than the Gretsch drums made in USA, and played by Elvin, Mickey (Monkees) and Charlie (Stones)

all the best...

User Info Menu

10,12,14,16 and 20
    Bought them new in 1983
    The smell was so amazing coming out of those boxes, it is something that has lived with me forever.

click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

got me beat by a long shot.

Sonor in 1988

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    10,12,14,16 and 20
    Bought them new in 1983
    The smell was so amazing coming out of those boxes, it is something that has lived with me forever.

Wow!!

Are those the natural maple finish! Look a lot like mine.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Rick: do you mean Pearl as the brand "Pearl" or do you mean Ludwigs wrapped in BDP? The terms for various wraps were used before there was a Pearl drum company.

True. When I bought Gretsch I was rather naive and never expected them to be anything other than the Gretsch drums made in USA, and played by Elvin, Mickey (Monkees) and Charlie (Stones)

all the best...

They were Ludwigs.