Thread: Band Gear Purchases - chip in or individual buys?

User Info Menu

Default Band Gear Purchases - chip in or individual buys?

I was wondering what most bands do when it comes to making major purchases for gear that will be used by the whole band (not instruments). If your band decides it needs something like a mixer or a sub woofer, do you split the cost among the band members or does one member buy it and own it? We have had these discussions but it always ends up that one of us buys it(usually the one who first proposed the purchase). The "leader" of the band is against pooling resources to buy equipment because of the issue of what to do when a member who has contributed to buying gear decides to leave the band. I don't think it's all that complicated: you just come up with a current value of the gear based on a review of used gear sites and buy the member out. The funny thing is the "leader" has actually benefited from a group purchase in the past. The PA we use was purchased by the original members of the band who have all since left and were never compensated, so he ended up owning a PA and only paying 20% of the original cost!

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Default Re: Band Gear Purchases - chip in or individual buys?

We split it evenly amongst the band members.

If you leave the band.....oh well. But if the band breaks up evenly - equipment will be sold off and paid out evenly to members.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I was once in a band that was renting a U-Haul trailer each time we had a gig out of town (when in town we would use multiple vehicles and just get it done).

The lead singer (who didn't own anything -- not even a microphone) went out one day, without asking or any discussion, and bought a really great trailer for the use of the band.

I was really impressed until he told us that, instead of paying for U-Haul trailers, we could just pay him.

I told him that would be fine and that he had to pay me to bring any drums or cymbals.................and he had to pay everybody else to bring guitars & amps.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I was once in a band that was renting a U-Haul trailer each time we had a gig out of town (when in town we would use multiple vehicles and just get it done).

The lead singer (who didn't own anything -- not even a microphone) went out one day, without asking or any discussion, and bought a really great trailer for the use of the band.

I was really impressed until he told us that, instead of paying for U-Haul trailers, we could just pay him.

I told him that would be fine and that he had to pay me to bring any drums or cymbals.................and he had to pay everybody else to bring guitars & amps.
    CNN Reporting: Singers are idiots.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

We buy the stuff individually and own it. On big stuff like the PA system, we split it between the 3 "permanent" members; me, my brother and our lead singer who has been like a 3rd brother to us and played music with us for over 25yrs. Between us 3, we own all the equipment we use including guitar amps. If it wasn't for being family and life long friendship, I wouldn't split ownership with anyone.

My opinion it's the best way. Community property usually creates issues sooner or later.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Roxtar had a band fund.
    A certain percentage of every show went into the fund.
    Covered things like... well almost nothing that I learned.
    Sounded like a scam.
    But misc things like our van, gas money, fixing things,
    merchandise etc.

Only thing I hated is our band fund made more money than we did I felt.
    Drove me nuts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Roxtar had a band fund.
    A certain percentage of every show went into the fund.
    Covered things like... well almost nothing that I learned.
    Sounded like a scam.
    But misc things like our van, gas money, fixing things,
    merchandise etc.

Only thing I hated is our band fund made more money than we did I felt.
    Drove me nuts.
    We have a band fund(one of the bands I'm in). We put in whatever odd amount is leftover after we split the gig pay 6 ways, usually $20 - $40 at a time. We've used it for small things like cables. It never accrues to more than about $100.

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I'd be happier with that. We took a percentage off the top of everything before we split for ourselves. Drove me nuts.

User Info Menu

I try to split it up evenly and pay everyone their full cut as soon as possible. I know a band that used to put ALL the money in an account and keep track of "who gets how much" at the end of every year. What a nightmare. As you can imagine, the guy in charge never gave anyone details or a straight answer when asked about producing "the book work". Sometimes they were never even sure how much he had booked the gig for, LOL.

True story;

I was in a band once that had a "manager". He didn't play anything or help in any way. His job was to book the gigs and manage the money...for a fee off the top. He was a CPA and was supposedly helping the lead guitar player "run the band as a tax write-off". He would show up to practice with his ex-wife (who he was living with and had been married to twice before) and sit around smoking dope. At practice one night I told them In advance I couldn't play a specific weekend due to our annual inventory at work. The guy's wife started yelling at me, saying "you need to start thinking about other people besides yourself! Welfare barely pays us enough to live on! We have 3 kids to feed and we need you to play as much as possible so we can make some money!". I instantly unloaded on her with both barrels (so to speak). The words "redneck, lazy & trash" were just a few of the adjectives I used....this is a family friendly forum. She never showed up at practice again and I quit the band a few weeks later. Believe it or not, I remained friends with her husband until he passed away several years later and I'm still friends with her to this day. Go figure...
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

In my band, we are playing purely for pleasure and not trying to make any kind of living from it. We all work full time. Now that we have been gigging regularly for a few years we understand what the going rates are for bands in our area. Even though we are not a top-tier band, we are not making much less than they are, surprisingly. To me, the amount of money we can get for a gig is more useful as an indicator of our level of success more than anything. It is nice though to go home with a little something in your pocket to pay for gas or put towards gear.

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

wyodrums Guest

We have a band fund for minor purchases (cables, router, etc.). The rest of the gear and trailer is individually owned, with the exception of instruments (duh!), IEM, etc. The band fund has also bought dinner or drinks a few times when we were in the studio.

User Info Menu

Amazes me how you contribute to a fund when only making pocket change as a musician.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I'll use the band that I play in that is busiest as an example.

The rhythm guitarist started the band about four years ago, he owns a Presonus digital board and set of QSC K series powered speakers.

I play drums in this act, and have for two and a half years. I own the exact same PA rig as he does. One of us brings a mixer Subs and two main K-12 speakers, usually him. I bring four more K-12s to use as monitors. If the stage is particularly large, he'll bring two more K-12s and I bring more subs. My mixer is always there as a backup. We each bring a case of microphones and tub of cables to every gig. I supply all instrument mics, he supplies all of the vocal mics, except for the Shure Super 55 that our singer uses. I carry a backup of that as well. We each have enough mics and cables to cover any gig, plenty of backups.

The lead guitarist (my brother) owns a full PA that he uses for other projects, but he doesn't need to bring anything to our gigs except his guitars and amps.

The bassist brings his basses and amps.

Our singer had owned most of our lights up to now, although I now own almost as much these days. And I recently bought a state of the art lighting console. We have a fairly involved light show for most gigs. For really big shows we hire a lighting guy who handles everything for us.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

I've never been a fan of "group" purchases. Someone ends up quitting and wants to be bought out or it turns into a huge hassle for a hundred other reasons. But I'm also lucky enough to have a guitarist and bassist with chronic G.A.S. so they can't stop buying lights, lasers, digital mixers and PAs.

User Info Menu

I buy all of my own gear. It's easier that way if th8bga go bad.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFortress View Post
    I've never been a fan of "group" purchases. Someone ends up quitting and wants to be bought out or it turns into a huge hassle for a hundred other reasons. But I'm also lucky enough to have a guitarist and bassist with chronic G.A.S. so they can't stop buying lights, lasers, digital mixers and PAs.
    My guitar player and I own several PA's, a bunch of powered subs, mains, monitors etc. Other than that I own it or he does. It's messy when five or six people own one speaker. The trouble then becomes, what is ethical regarding money and the use of said gear.
    Last edited by SunDog; 08-27-2016 at 05:13 PM.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Band equipment is owned individually. When we came together, between all of us we didn't need to buy anything. We have a band fund that pays for replacement items.

As a general rule, I like to stay away from "pooling assets" only because when band members come and go.......things can get messy. The flip side can be risky as well. What happens if one of the band members decides to leave and he/she owns the FOH? Now you're scrambling.

User Info Menu

Every musician should own a PA, in conjunction to their own stuff, so there's no scrambling if someone leaves and takes all the stuff.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Band equipment is owned individually. When we came together, between all of us we didn't need to buy anything. We have a band fund that pays for replacement items.

As a general rule, I like to stay away from "pooling assets" only because when band members come and go.......things can get messy. The flip side can be risky as well. What happens if one of the band members decides to leave and he/she owns the FOH? Now you're scrambling.
    Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Every musician should own a PA, in conjunction to their own stuff, so there's no scrambling if someone leaves and takes all the stuff.

all the best...
    Also, its not just someone quitting. We were in a position where we kicked out the one guy that owned the PA system.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...
    My thoughts as well. That's why I own my own PA (Behringer XAir XR18, 2 QSC K-12's and 2 QSC K-Subs and assorted monitors, cables, mic stands, lights, etc). I own my own destiny. I like it like that.

User Info Menu

Actually, in the time that I've been in this band (5 years) I've amassed almost a complete PA myself, though it's not top of the line. If anything were to happen, I'm prepared to gig with what I have.

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones: