Thread: Heads for 10" Snares

User Info Menu

Default Heads for 10" Snares

I have a 10"x5.5" Tama Hammered Steel Popcorn snare drum and wanted some opinions on heads (any brand is fine.) Currently it has an Aquarian Jac Dejohnette head on it, which is a single-ply with a thicker coating. However this head has a very thin sound and a lot of the metallic-sounding overtones are very noticeable.
    I just want a really tight dry sound, very little ring (if any.) Would prefer not to use external muffling. Since this drum is hammered, it is much warmer and less bright than a regular steel shell, so I figure this should be fairly easy. Any ideas?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Heads for 10" Snares

Nature of the beast. You're talking a very small drum made of steel. I seriously doubt any kind of head is going to completely dry it out without some sort of dampening help.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Coated Remo emperor x. A thick double ply head. I use it on my snare. Not many overtones. I don't think there would be too many overtones with a 10" because it's so small.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

A lot of choices out there.
    As mentioned above, the Remo Emperor X has two 10 mil plies of film.

There's the Remo Vintage Emperor that has two 7.5 mil layers.

The regular Remo Emperor has two 7 mil plies.

There's the Evans EC reverse dot with a 7 over a 10 mil ply.

or...a small folded piece of paper towel and painters tape works great for me.

Last edited by Olimpass; 08-25-2016 at 09:40 PM.