Thread: Wuhan Linear mod

User Info Menu

Default Wuhan Linear mod

I think this deserves its own thread.

I went and ordered a black Linear cymbal because I thought it might be a nifty blend of china and crash.

It sucked big time so I started sanding off the paint (which I am convinced really is spray paint, not "porcelain coating" as they market it). Then I remembered there's a sandblasting facility where I work and this is what came of it:

LOLOL!

Well I was after an original look.... You know some people argue over "natural" vs. "brilliant" but nobody seems to talk about 100% matte. It will be interesting to hear how this sounds. I could polish it out but the high surface area should give me maximum volume in theory.

Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wuhan Linear mod

that looks awesome sandblasted.

Do you know what material they used?

User Info Menu

I guess it's too late, but would have been awesome to hear a before and after recording of this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    that looks awesome sandblasted.

Do you know what material they used?
    Allegedly they use cast B20 for their cymbals, not that you can trust Chinese marketing!
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    I guess it's too late, but would have been awesome to hear a before and after recording of this.
    I was *this close* to doing some recording but so disgusted by the painted sound that I just wanted it off. When I started to see enough bronze, I tried it & knew this was the way to go.

User Info Menu

I like the look - let us know how it sounds.

User Info Menu

Hey, that's pretty creative man. Yea, how does it sound now?

User Info Menu

That cymbal doesn't happen to be off a Chrysler does it?

LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

I've seen these on the internet/you tube and was curious how they sound. Being I own a Wuhan splash and China I thought it would make a nice addition. I like the matte look as well, keep us posted.

User Info Menu

Well the sound is much like the clips of the regular model I've heard. It's a cool sound that I dig, not going to fit in to every song but it's fun. The trashiness comes out when hit harder, fairly china-like. It's deeper in pitch than my 15" china, nice contrast. It's mostly an odd-sounding effect. Not really a crash, definitely has some gong quality, also a slight thunder sheet effect. Sustain is still not very long even with all the paint off. Playing the bell is weak but more-or-less like any crash. It's impossible to stop it from spinning if playing it repeatedly. Some reviewer on amazon said it might benefit from rivets. I think that would be interesting but not going to drill this yet!
    Last edited by Natman; 08-29-2016 at 07:06 AM.