Thread: Ludwig snare lugs

User Info Menu

Default Ludwig snare lugs

New snare drum:

Anyone know where I can find Ludwig lugs? I'm looking for new lugs, even if they're knock offs. I'm trying to get the thing to look brand new (no worries - I'm not getting rid of a single piece of the hardware that came with it) for gigs. The hardware is already decent, but once I cleaned and buffed the shell, the lugs really stick out as old and dirty (even after being thoroughly cleaned).
    Last edited by cg2112; 08-27-2016 at 08:39 AM.
    DW Performance
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig snare lugs

Those look cool, they are not chrome plated they are nickel plated. Nickel is softer and duller looking then chrome. Chrome came years later. Enjoy your Ludwig.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

The lugs have issues - they're not just duller, they've got wear and oxidation, which is my primary issue.
    DW Performance
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

You could have them re plated. May be way easier than finding the exact lugs or replacing them with something else that doesn't suit the vintage of the drum. Should be no problem to have them chrome plated.

all the best...

User Info Menu

ypu can buy new ones, search on Lugwig Bowtie lugs. Or used on eBay.
    Last edited by rmandelbaum; 08-27-2016 at 09:45 AM.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

If it were me, I would find the Ludwig replacement lugs for that snare. It's a classic vintage drum. Ya want to sell it???????????
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

It's a Ludwig Pioneer, I have a few of them. They were the drum student drum back in the day. Worth about 125 or so. They are very cool but not worth a ton.

I have one I refinished and turned into a 10 lug. It records like a dream, perfect balance of crack, warmth and dryness
    Last edited by rmandelbaum; 08-27-2016 at 09:59 AM.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

the bow tie lug isn't that what they called it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    It's a Ludwig Pioneer, I have a few of them. They were the drum student drum back in the day. Worth about 125 or so. They are very cool but not worth a ton.

I have one I refinished and turned into a 10 lug. It records like a dream, perfect balance of crack, warmth and dryness

If you can find a Ludwig Pioneer in great condition with everything original (including snares) for $125, sign me up, I'll buy them all day long!
    DW Performance
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

That's gorgeous!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cg2112 View Post
    New snare drum:

Anyone know where I can find Ludwig lugs? I'm looking for new lugs, even if they're knock offs. I'm trying to get the thing to look brand new (no worries - I'm not getting rid of a single piece of the hardware that came with it) for gigs. The hardware is already decent, but once I cleaned and buffed the shell, the lugs really stick out as old and dirty (even after being thoroughly cleaned).
    I think it looks fine the way it is and no one will ever notice the issues you've mentioned but if you must replace them, rmandelbaum had it covered mentioning eBay...etc. That would probably be your best bet. Search Ludwig snare drum or Ludwig lugs too. Someone may have put them under Ludwig lugs instead of calling them Bow-tie lugs which is what they are or were nick-named.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 08-28-2016 at 04:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Don't change the original look of it to much, looks great the way it is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjig View Post
    Don't change the original look of it to much, looks great the way it is.
    Yeah, judging by the strainer and the nickel hardware, that drum must be from the '50s, maybe earlier. I'm sure it sounds great the way it is. Keep in mind, while the snare drum is arguably the most important in the kit, from the audience's perspective, it's the least visible.

User Info Menu

eBay will be your best bet. A lot of marching snares had the same bow tie lug. I see them listed frequently. Just make sure they have a flat base for wood shells and not a center rib relief for the Acrolite shells.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    eBay will be your best bet. A lot of marching snares had the same bow tie lug. I see them listed frequently. Just make sure they have a flat base for wood shells and not a center rib relief for the Acrolite shells.
    oooo-important point and good call N2bluz.

Yep flat base, for wood or Vistalite.

Not a hump in the middle to accommodate a rib / center bead.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 08-30-2016 at 03:49 PM.

User Info Menu

It sounds fundamental, but easy to overlook in the heat of buying passion. I know how it is; you find some "bow tie" lugs on eBay, the price is good, so you "buy it now". The show up a few days later, and you stare at the open box thinking, "I can't believe I did that..."!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I have an older steel Ludwig snare I could sell cheap

User Info Menu

So you find some pristine lugs, install them, and then you notice, ahhhh, the throw off looks so dull next to the shiny new lugs, and then the hoops, oh and the wrap just doesn't have that same lustre, and soon you are $500 invested in a drum even with all the upgrades would be hard pressed to fetch $350. Sometimes just like in classic cars, the barn find look is the best option.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168