Thread: Latest CL score; SPL Velocity Street Bop

User Info Menu

Default Latest CL score; SPL Velocity Street Bop

So, tonight I picked up what I think is a great score on CL. I nabbed a Sound Percussion 4pc "velocity series" "street bop" kit. 18x16 bass, 10x7 mounted tom, 13x13 FT and a 13x5 wood snare. This kit is less than a year old and looks like brand new out of the box....except for the heads, which the gentleman replaced with brand new Pinstripes on the batters and Ambassadors on the resos.
    The only original head is the bass reso. But wait....there's MORE! He also threw in a like new 16" Wuhan China and a 12" Wuhan splash. ALL for the low, low price of $100 ! Typical new price on these kits is $299. Add in the cymbals and new heads and I think it qualifies as a "steal".

The ironic part is I've been eyeballing these SLP kits for about 9 months....as well as a Wuhan China, LOL. The gentleman I got it from was extremely nice. We talked drums for about half an hour. He said he bought the kit last winter and used it as a practice kit until buying a new PDP Concept Maple kit a few weeks ago. I'll post a review later, but for now I'll say this; I am EXTREMELY impressed with the quality of the kit. Easily on par with my PDP in terms of hardware, chrome and build quality. 2.3mm hoops, die-cast claws, tom suspension mount, gaskets under all the lugs, perfect bearing edges and Birch/Basswood blended shells.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Latest CL score; SPL Velocity Street Bop

Wow, what a steal. That seller must have really needed the money.
    Congrats!

User Info Menu

He was really cool and nice. We had a great time talking drums. He told me what he paid for everything new and said he just didn't have room for it. He was excited to have it go to someone who would use it on stage for gigs.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Nice find!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Sound Percussion Labs?

all the best...

User Info Menu

that's awesome! Nice find!

User Info Menu

Awesome score. Congrats.

User Info Menu

Schweet deal, Bluz
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Thumbs up

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

No way you could go wrong for $100.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Man, you guys in the U.S.A are always getting great deals. You would never, never find something like that for 100 here in Canada unless it is all beaten, pitted and flaking lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Man, you guys in the U.S.A are always getting great deals. You would never, never find something like that for 100 here in Canada unless it is all beaten, pitted and flaking lol.
    I've bought several $100 kits off CL. Most are old stencil kits that are pretty tired and beat up. I expected this one to have something wrong with it and figured I'd need to change out heads and maybe re-wrap it. I was excited to see it had aftermarket heads already and looked like new. I was going to offer another $50 for the cymbals, but he said "here, these are part of the deal as well". I almost felt bad, but then he said he bought everything new less than a year ago. I decided he should know what he paid and be able to determine its value less than a year later.

Also, this same kit is available new for only $249....so it's not like it's a big ticket item. I must say, these kits are a steal at full retail. They could slap Tama or Sonor badges on them and ask $400-$500. I'll post details later tonight.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

As a beginner line of kits, I've always felt that sp was the superior Beginner. They have decent cymbal stands too.

-Mike

User Info Menu

A Musicians Friend brand?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    A Musicians Friend brand?

all the best...
    Yes, I believe exclusive to GC, MF and Woodwind & Brass.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    As a beginner line of kits, I've always felt that sp was the superior Beginner. They have decent cymbal stands too.
    Agreed. I have a couple SP boom stands that I bought new a couple years ago. They were dirt cheap, like $59 per pair, but surprisingly well made...although a little heavy. Still working flawlessly after 2 years of moderate gigging. I'd buy more in a heartbeat, but they don't sell them any more. Probably got heat from PDP, Pearl, Mapex and others about competing with their budget lines, LOL.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

That's a good looking kit, and a hell of a deal! I'm looking forward to a review, and more pics after you get it set up.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

really nice drum-kit!

User Info Menu

Absolutely a steal! Congrats

User Info Menu

Changed out the reso head on the 13"FT today. Decided to snap some pics in the process. The bearing edges are impressive. Very even with zero flaws and no voids or holes in the plies. Looks like the inner & outer plies are Birch, with the center fill plies being the Basswood. The early Tama Starclassic Performers had the same Birch/Basswood construction, as did many other mid-level kits. The Birch adds a nice attack and projection while the Basswood seems to help mellow out the harsher tones and ringy-ness associated with all-Birch shells. The shells are fairly thick (6 or 7 plies) and weigh about the same as my Concept Maples. The lugs and brackets are solid, well made and have nice chrome....AND gaskets under them. The fasteners are nice quality with thick washers and the vents are the nice threaded version. The sparkle wrap has a very tight pattern...more like metallic auto paint. It looks silver from most angles, but under direct light it really "pops". The only negative I've found thus far is a lack of sanding. I'd say the shell interiors and bearing edges are only finished to around 60-80 grit. I'm guessing this is one place where they held the cost down. Before I installed the new head, I gave the edge a quick & light pass with 150 grit sand paper. Then I applied bees wax to the edge and rubbed it in with a cotton towel. It tuned up nice and quick, without any "problem lugs" or issues. At some point, I'll probably sand the shell interiors and apply several coats of Tung oil.

Last edited by N2Bluz; 09-02-2016 at 10:24 PM.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Very clean

-Mike

User Info Menu

A lot of the SP hardware is made by Gibraltar. Not sure about the drum shells though. A friend had one of their older kits, but it was all basswood and the tom arms were the Pearl-type ones that went into the shells. This kit is probably a big upgrade from that one!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the review. I had been thinking about one of those kits, too. (Then I bought and re-wrapped the Tamas and that ended that idea.)
    I love the sizes. Especially the kick. That finish should look really nice under stage lights.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    Thanks for the review. I had been thinking about one of those kits, too. (Then I bought and re-wrapped the Tamas and that ended that idea.)
    I love the sizes. Especially the kick. That finish should look really nice under stage lights.
    Had it not been for the price, I never would have bought it. I really don't NEED another kit, and I have the jungle kit that I made and gig with....The problem is the 8" tom lacks projection and the 16" bass needs mic'd most of the time. I'm hoping the larger 18" bass and 10" tom will allow me to get by without mic'ing it the majority of the time in the small venues.
    -Brian