Thread: Cymbal Weight

User Info Menu

Default Cymbal Weight

Having starting over after a very long layoff a few years ago, I was wondering about the use and purpose of cymbal weights in grams. I never really never even considered the weight of the cymbal in grams before, but have seen it alot since coming back.

Is it that important to know? I have always just used the manufacturer description (thin, heavy, ect), then just went on way trying them out and getting what I like.

Any thought?
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbal Weight

Thin medium and heavy are just a much easier way of understanding since most of us have never memorized the standard weights of cymbals. lol

If you asked me off the bat what the weight of any of my cymbals in grams are id' have no clue. But I can tell you most are medium except one crash and my super heavy ride.

User Info Menu

I don't know them or write them down, but I do use them when buying cymbals online. I generally like the lightest ones, so I check those first and listen to the audio demo. With hand-made cymbals, the weight differences can be a lot more than with the machine-made models, and that can change the sound.

User Info Menu

Cymbal weights may help determine if a cymbal is thin to heavy without a stamp indicating so. You can't always go by the stamp or what a cymbal is called either.
    I had a Zildjian "Edge" cymbal that was called a razor thin crash that was heavy.
    Here is a handy weight chart for 18-22" cymbals...

Last edited by Olimpass; 08-27-2016 at 10:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Good info Olimpass thanks. I saved that for future use.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Cymbal weights may help determine if a cymbal is thin to heavy without a stamp indicating so. You can't always go by the stamp or what a cymbal is called either.
    I had a Zildjian "Edge" cymbal that was called a razor thin crash that was heavy.
    Here is a handy weight chart for 18-22" cymbals...

Where did this chart come from? My medium HH Sabian 20" weighs 2480. It's also entirely possible that I didn't weigh it accurately too. I like this chart as I'm always comparing weights when checking out cymbals on line. Thanks for posting it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Good info Olimpass thanks. I saved that for future use.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Where did this chart come from? My medium HH Sabian 20" weighs 2480. It's also entirely possible that I didn't weigh it accurately too. I like this chart as I'm always comparing weights when checking out cymbals on line. Thanks for posting it.
    I believe the chart came from a different drum forum but that's not how I found it. I Googled "cymbal weight chart" and then clicked images...

User Info Menu

I'm not sure why some manufactures point out the grams. Maybe so you don't buy the wrong cymbal?

I like my very heavy 22" Zildjian Z Light Power Ride then after that it goes to a couple of heavies and a medium and heavy hats.

I 've heard that recording with lighter weights even for hard rock gets good results
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Is it heavier=higher pitch, lighter=deeper pitch?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Is it heavier=higher pitch, lighter=deeper pitch?
    That would be one of the ingredients in the formula, yes,

User Info Menu

I shopped online for a new ride cymbal and ended up with the Zildjan Hybrid 20." The sites list them with their weights, and the thing I discovered is that I preferred the lighter weight versions over the heavier. Mind you we're talking about fewer than 100 grams difference.

I really wanted to buy from my local drum shop so I emailed Zildjan to see if my dealer could order a specific weight range and they said they don't do that except for two lines--Contantanople and one other, I forget.

So I just took my chances and had my shop order whatever. I love it. I never weighed it and I never want to.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

Just to be curious, I took my cymbals to the Post Office, on a slow day and had them weighed. The weight is in pound and ounces, then you can convert to grams , by using 28 grams equals 28 grams. Then you can do the math. Peace Out, michaelanson