Thread: playing slump

User Info Menu

Default playing slump

no groove, uncoordinated, thinking too much, trying too hard and whatever else that can totally screw you up mentally and physically is what I am going through right now.

I know there's been lots of chatter about this in the past but just need to get it off my mind if that's okay. The last few practices and gigs I just flat out suck! like I forgot my left from right. No coordination between hands and feet and difficulty getting what's in my brain to my limbs.

Sorry to bend your ears with this just wanted to talk to the brotherhood here and maybe get some tips. Thanks. We got a show at a nice club Friday night and I want to go in confident.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: playing slump

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    no groove, uncoordinated, thinking too much, trying too hard and whatever else that can totally screw you up mentally and physically is what I am going through right now.

I know there's been lots of chatter about this in the past but just need to get it off my mind if that's okay. The last few practices and gigs I just flat out suck! like I forgot my left from right. No coordination between hands and feet and difficulty getting what's in my brain to my limbs.

Sorry to bend your ears with this just wanted to talk to the brotherhood here and maybe get some tips. Thanks. We got a show at a nice club Friday night and I want to go in confident.

No groove and no coordination really doesn't happen to experienced drummers, they just think it does.

Thinking too much and trying too hard is where your problem probably is. I've said a few times over the years that 1 shouldn't overthink this. It isn't rocket science but it appears that some people want to make it rocket science.

User Info Menu

It happens. Relax. Trying too hard might be the culprit.

User Info Menu

thanks Rick n ITPP
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I completely know what you are talking about. There are times I'm playing a song that is super simple and one I've played a million times...yet it feels like I've never held drum sticks before.

It'll pass. Keep driving forward.

Tex

User Info Menu

Definitely know how this feels. I think I feel it the most when I start comparing myself to other drummers. What usually helps is just reminding myself that I've practiced well, I've prepared well, and all I need to do is just relax and enjoy the music and the people I'm playing it with. Once I stop focusing on how well or not well I THINK I'm playing, that's when I start relaxing and sitting in the groove. One pint at the gig often helps as well
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

I was in a "fills" slump
    I felt like I just kept using the same old fills over and over
    Ended up rearranging my kit and that helped a lot.

I know it's not the same but maybe try changing something up.

User Info Menu

thank you for the feedback everybody it helps!
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I've been there....and return to visit every now and then, LOL. I agree with Rick. When I think about it, I lose it. It's like a golf swing. Don't think, just play. Also, I too find that just one beer before playing helps. I don't think it's the effect of the alcohol. One beer is not enough to have any significant physical effect on a 220Lb guy that drinks. I think it's the mental effect or ritual of cracking that first beer. It puts my mind in "relax & have fun" mode. It could be anything that triggers stress relief; walking around the block, sitting at the table and drinking a soda...whatever works for you and can be done in public. (Reminds me of the movie "Something About Mary", LOL).

Coincidentally, nothing puts me on my game faster & better than listening to another band perform right before we play. It make me want to get up there and show what we can do.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Going through this myself.
    Gig tomorrow night.
    A bit concerned, but great advice here.
    Ludwig 8 piece
    Paiste Sigs
    Mapex Mars Pro 5 piece