Thread: Need help with drums.

User Info Menu

Default Need help with drums.

https://youtu.be/S0arlRqbtQw I need help with drums. I posted some video's of me playing some solo's. Made a jungle kit out of my gretsch catalina maple and to me they just didn't come out as good. Wondering if I need to go back to the 22" bass drum setup where I can add more drums. I will post some more video's of the small kit. I am open to advice or suggestion's on how to improve.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need help with drums.

Gregg,

It's really hard to judge how the drums sound from a video.
    What exactly (and specifically) is it that you don't like about the new set-up? If you can give specifics, we may be able to help.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Actually I believe that I figured it out. After reviewing the video's I noticed that my 10" tom sounded horrible. So I went to my drum room and removed the tom and re-tuned it and put it back on with a dead ringer and it sounds a lot better. I just loosened the heads on both sides alittle and with the dead ringer on it makes it sound a lot better. I also tighten up my snare that way I don't have any rattling sound. Now I need to do another video to check out the sound. If I like it I will post it. I see now its all in the tuning.

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

Well, it's not ALL in the tuning....but I'd say 85% of it is! That leaves 10% for the heads and 5% for the drums themselves! I've been watching a lot of Kenny Sharrett's YouTube videos on drum tuning lately. Using the same technique he uses on his Ludwig Breakbeats, I managed to get my cheap Sound Percussion Bop kit sounding killer. My 13" floor Tom is tuned with the reso head a perfect 4th higher than the batter and my 10" Tom has the reso head a minor 3rd higher than the batter. The pitch interval between the 10" and 13" is a perfect 5th. It took some time for me to get my ear reasonably proficient at tuning to pitch, but it definitely produced the results I was after.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Great playing. I noticed your snare is really tight. Some guys like it, but I found the best sound is to find that perfect spot where you can start to hear the tone of the snare. If you loosen the wires you'll see what I mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike