Thread: in the market..... kind of

User Info Menu

Default in the market..... kind of

Well I recently started considering what I thought I'd never consider and that is to get myself a nice e-kit. I'm not sure which brand to go with but I know what I want in front of me and that is this....

A kit that has 2 crashes preferably choke able (don't think chokeable or chokable are real words ) 3 zone ride, hi hat that will work partially open not just open and closed, 4 tom pads, 3 zone snare pad, kick pad large enough for 2 beaters, I will say mesh heads but not totally opposed to rubber, solid rack, easy to use module.

I first narrowed down choices of 4 kits which were the Alesis DM10X, the Ddrum DD5X, the KAT KT3, and the Simmons SD1500.

After hours of research, comparing and reading reviews I'm about to save another grand at least and get into the upper crust of one of these e-kits by way of Roland or Yamaha. Reason being of course, don't want to waste money on something that will start having issues, I want to get it right the first time because I want it to last for a very long time. It doesn't matter that I may never gig out with them I just want something good and reliable. But after reading reviews on these four it's hard to commit to any of them. There's some real horror stories out on all of them.

So with all that said can any of you experts here chime in and tell me your feeling about it? In a ballpark figure how much should I expect to spend? 2 grand? more?

I don't want a toy and I don't need to spend 8 grand either. Just a good reliable time tested e-kit. I should mention that it doesn't need to be a 6 piece right out of the box as long as the module has expansion abilities.

Thanks all for reading I know it was pretty lengthy.
    Last edited by slinky; 09-22-2016 at 04:11 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: in the market..... kind of

My suggestion is to go straight to a conversion kit. It is a very simple project.

That way you are playing a "real" sized kit, set up the same as your A kit.

If you convert your existing kit, it is easily and quickly reversible and only $40 per drum. The only damage is the 1/4 jack hole and there are ways to avoid that.

Spend your money on a good module.

User Info Menu

The only damage is the 1/4 jack hole and there are ways to avoid that.

Why not use an existing vent hole on the drum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    The only damage is the 1/4 jack hole and there are ways to avoid that.

Why not use an existing vent hole on the drum.
    Because you can't fit a 1/4' plug through your typical vent hole, and if you feed the bare ended wire through then solder the plug, you have a semi permanent cable attached to your drum...

User Info Menu

thanks for the replies. I'd like to stay away from the conversion stuff. A friend over here has it and likes it and says it works good though. The Alesis kit is tempting. Has everything I want and it got a good review from EDrummer or something like that.

Will continue the research and might wait until I can get into the Roland V Drums price range. Their stuff is probably the best along with Yamaha
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    thanks for the replies. I'd like to stay away from the conversion stuff. A friend over here has it and likes it and says it works good though. The Alesis kit is tempting. Has everything I want and it got a good review from EDrummer or something like that.

Will continue the research and might wait until I can get into the Roland V Drums price range. Their stuff is probably the best along with Yamaha
    don't get an Alesis.

I may be biased and all from working in a music store for 5 years, but Alesis kits ALWAYS came back. They had the most RMAs and failing triggers. Oftentimes people would return them and get a Roland/Yamaha instead.

That's just my 2 cents.
    Too Much Stuff.