Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cracked my first cymbal

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cracked my first cymbal

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I bought the cymbal because I liked the sound. That's what matters. I shouldn't have to worry about getting bashed for that here.
    You're right, you shouldn't. This has all gotten out of hand. I've heard drilling can help, or at least delay the inevitable. It's worth a try. I hope it works for you.

[Quote= Ricardo] Artisans..................I should have guessed and stand corrected. Way to much money do Sabians..........and you break them?"

Too much money? Yeah they're pricey, but they are ridiculously good, and no I haven't broken a cymbal in five or six years. It was an 18" HH thin crash so not quite as expensive as an Artisan (I still cried), but it was my favorite cymbal for 15 years and I never found another that sounded just like it. I "settled" for an 18" HHX Manhattan, which is close, but not the same. I just started playing the Artisans this year, and hopefully many more years to come. Cymbals are unique and difficult to get two that sound identical. It's hard to replace a favorite.
    Last edited by SunDog; 10-02-2016 at 09:13 PM.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

SunDog;691750]You're right, you shouldn't. This has all gotten out of hand. I've heard drilling can help, or at least delay the inevitable. It's worth a try. I hope it works for you.
    Thank you for that. I'm going to drill it out at the base tomorrow. Maybe cut it out and file the edge. BTW I also have a 21" HH rbdr and it's a fantastic cymbal.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Even if they are cracked,they are not necessarily trash. Like I said I buy cracked cymbals and I'm always on the lookout for them. You find a hi end cymbal that you can't afford new but you know it's well made and cut it down you still can get a pretty darn good small crash,splash ought of it I bet!

And I've seen people cut the bells out and get a collection of those & make a rack just for them.
    I have a friend that just started drumming and I'll trade stuff off to him as well. We took some cracked 16" crashes and cut them down to 13" hi hats and that works good for my friend. better than nothing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    Even if they are cracked,they are not necessarily trash. Like I said I buy cracked cymbals and I'm always on the lookout for them. You find a hi end cymbal that you can't afford new but you know it's well made and cut it down you still can get a pretty darn good small crash,splash ought of it I bet!

And I've seen people cut the bells out and get a collection of those & make a rack just for them.
    I have a friend that just started drumming and I'll trade stuff off to him as well. We took some cracked 16" crashes and cut them down to 13" hi hats and that works good for my friend. better than nothing

I've watched a lot of cymbal repair channels. Lance campeau, rdavidr. I'm going to try using an air powered die grinder tomorrow.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I still can't figure out how it cracked. I mean obviously I hit the edge too hard but I have it at the same height as my ride on the right of my kit. I'm using 5a sticks, and have never had issues with any thinner cymbals that are higher up. I'm almost certain it's not my technique, but maybe it is. I only break sticks on rimshots. One awkward hit I guess.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I happen to love the sound of China cymbals too, and usually have a 16" and a 20" set up. I use cymbal springs on my China's and haven't broken one since. That's over 20 years. I hate them on rides or crashes, but they will help your China last.
    Bash on!
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EyePea View Post
    Was that that horrendous cymbal in your video recently? I hope you get a new one soon.
    It is the one 😁😁😁!!
    I have drilled, cut curves others and apart from my re shaped upper hat they all carried on cracking so decided to leave this o s!
    And it's lasted FOR EVER!!

User Info Menu

I tried but failed. The crack continued after the repair. Just happy it was a cheap Wuhan and not hundreds of dollars. I'm going to cut it down and see what I can make out of it.

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg
    IMG_2121.jpg

-Mike

User Info Menu

Ha! I LOVE the sound (and feel) of my Wuhan crash cymbals. BUT, I really love the fact that I can replace ALL of them for the cost of one "pro" level cymbal. Ive abused them for several years now, but have yet to break one. It's bound to happen eventually, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

You have to make sure you cut a little past the very top of the crack because it may continue a little inside not visible on the surface.
    That V cut looks kind of narrow near the top too which it should have been a little more U shaped with everything rounded off.
    Also you need to avoid hitting the cymbal in that area the way it was cut. Usually that cut area ends up leaning up because of the weight being heavier on the uncut end.
    Now it looks cracked halfway into it...ughhh.
    Maybe cut down or a stacker cymbal now.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 03-31-2017 at 12:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    You have to make sure you cut a little past the very top of the crack because it may continue a little inside not visible on the surface.
    That V cut looks kind of narrow near the top too which it should have been a little more U shaped with everything rounded off.
    Also you need to avoid hitting the cymbal in that area the way it was cut. Usually that cut area ends up leaning up because of the weight being heavier on the uncut end.
    Now it looks cracked halfway into it...ughhh.
    Maybe cut down or a stacker cymbal now.
    Yeah she's cracked good now.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Yeah she's cracked good now.
    Believe me, I've learned the hard way many times through trial and error and still always learning.
    Like you've mentioned, it's a good thing it was not a very expensive cymbal.
    Best of luck with whatever becomes of it.

User Info Menu

Yeah that sucks, I Just repaired a crack on my K hybrid crash but mine was luckily just on the edge and only about 1/4". I am interested to see what you end up doing with it now.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

That place for a China must be next to a gong.
    Oh boy, I'm in trouble lol

User Info Menu

The only experience I have with Wuhan cymbals is when I used my buddy's 16" Wuhan fast crash at his home recording studio. It sounded great but I was really careful about hitting it too hard. It was set up next to my Sabian 17" Xtreme Chinese. Great combo for the sound I was chasing. I haven't crack a cymbal yet but dented the edge of one once and sent it in to Sabian and they trimmed off the dented edge. No charge for the trimming since I was having it re-freshed for $40.00.

User Info Menu

that's funny Tex.
    Conrad