Thread: Putting a band together - The saga continues part 4 of 4

User Info Menu

Default Putting a band together - The saga continues part 4 of 4

Now I think I'm on the home stretch with the band topic.

Still working with the classic rock band even though we haven't rehearsed in 2 weeks and aren't scheduled to next week, either.

Let's throw another twist in the mix.

About a month ago I was invited to yet another band that was looking for a drummer and I decided to give it a go considering I'm not too sure the classic rock band is going to work out long term.

This band consisted of a female singer that really couldn't stay on key, a sax/rhythm guitarist/singer that was ok, a bassist that I knew from when I was playing guitar in church (small world, LOL) and a really good guitarist that I hadn't met before.

As a group they were less than good and I didn't feel they were up to my standards so I politely bowed out after one rehearsal. I did however keep in touch with the guitarist and talked about putting something together sometime.

Now for the twist. Back in March through May when I was working to put together a southern rock tribute band, after that fell through, I remained in contact with the bassist and singer but since I had all this other stuff going on, I kept putting them off and working through all the other things going on.

Since I now had an interested guitarist, I approached the bassist and singer about putting a project together and for the past 3 weeks I've been working with them. It really is going well. Everyone likes each other. We are putting together a really good nights worth of interesting material and this project has a lot of potential. I'm liking it a lot.

So what else could happen you might be asking?

Here it is.

Just this week I heard from a bassist I was working with 2 years ago trying to put a project together with that didn't work out due to not being able to find any good guitarists that were interested.

He's in a working band and was told by the drummer that he was leaving in 2 weeks and they have a bunch of gigs booked and need someone fast. So he calls me up and I agreed to meet with them this coming Monday to see if we have a compatible situation. They consist of a singer, bassist, guitarist whose wife sings, plays keys part time and runs the lights and sound. The husband and wife combo have their own light and sound company and support other bands when theirs isn't playing. I've known the guitarist since high school so we've been friends for a very long time but never crossed paths in the local music scene until now.

So in summary, I'm in two for sure bands and possibly a 3rd and in the past 2 years have learned or rehashed over 200+ songs. I've been busier than ever and not even gigged in 4 years.

So that is the band status as best I know it as of now. I'm not done yet. I have two more subjects to update everyone on.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Putting a band together - The saga continues part 4 of 4

With so many opportunities, something eventually has to stick.

Keep working it.........................

P.S. Glad to hear the husband/guitarist/own-mind-legend got some instant karma !
    Can't stand those guys.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    With so many opportunities, something eventually has to stick.

Keep working it.........................

P.S. Glad to hear the husband/guitarist/own-mind-legend got some instant karma !
    Can't stand those guys.
    I know, right?

When I was in my stand off with them, I knew the others would follow suit but didn't blurt that out so they would get a lesson the hard way.

To my knowledge they haven't done anything else and I know the singer claimed she was asked to audition for a different band over a month ago (according to her sister) and on their FB page it still shows they are looking for a singer. Guess it didn't pan out there, either.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have now read the equivalent of "War and Peace".

Bish, you have to treat this like the old Italian way of seeing if spaghetti was ready.

You take a guitar player, singer, keyboard player, or rhythm guitar player, throw them against the ceiling, the 1 that sticks for a couple of minutes is the 1 you want.

Thinking about it, I should have done that with my wives.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I have now read the equivalent of "War and Peace".

Bish, you have to treat this like the old Italian way of seeing if spaghetti was ready.

You take a guitar player, singer, keyboard player, or rhythm guitar player, throw them against the ceiling, the 1 that sticks for a couple of minutes is the 1 you want.

Thinking about it, I should have done that with my wives.
    Man, it's been feast of famine. 3 years of nothing and one year of crazy. Gotta love it!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I know, right?

When I was in my stand off with them, I knew the others would follow suit but didn't blurt that out so they would get a lesson the hard way.

To my knowledge they haven't done anything else and I know the singer claimed she was asked to audition for a different band over a month ago (according to her sister) and on their FB page it still shows they are looking for a singer. Guess it didn't pan out there, either.
    Glad to hear things are going good for you! I caught bits & pieces of the "drama" on FB and been following some of her posts. I think it was a dead end from the beginning. Not much more than trying to recapture dreams of lost youth through the illusion of being a Rock star. Suffice it to say, you're in a MUCH better place, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm kind of the opposite in I'm tired of cover bands and really just want to work on technique and being an amateur drummer professional guitarist. I like not being burden with having to try and learn a bunch of songs. I like not having to deal with the drama though playing the shows was always the fun part it's all the work that builds up to that point.
    It was always a big pain to find people that are as committed to a project as you are. That are willing to put hours everyday into practice. Around here if it's a paying gig people come out of the woodwork but if it's Christian metal start up project then they avoid it like the plague lol. So I say cut everybody out and do it all yourself! "Keep it small and own it all"......
    I had a lot of time to think it over lying in this hospital bed...
    I monkeyed with another monkey's monkey
    And her gorilla whupped upon my head!~Johnny Paycheck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Glad to hear things are going good for you! I caught bits & pieces of the "drama" on FB and been following some of her posts. I think it was a dead end from the beginning. Not much more than trying to recapture dreams of lost youth through the illusion of being a Rock star. Suffice it to say, you're in a MUCH better place, LOL.
    You know it, brother!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    I'm kind of the opposite in I'm tired of cover bands and really just want to work on technique and being an amateur drummer professional guitarist. I like not being burden with having to try and learn a bunch of songs. I like not having to deal with the drama though playing the shows was always the fun part it's all the work that builds up to that point.
    It was always a big pain to find people that are as committed to a project as you are. That are willing to put hours everyday into practice. Around here if it's a paying gig people come out of the woodwork but if it's Christian metal start up project then they avoid it like the plague lol. So I say cut everybody out and do it all yourself! "Keep it small and own it all"......

I was that way 4 years ago when my last band "retired" from live performing. I was in need of a break. But as it happens, the urge has resurfaced and after many months of patiently searching, I think I've landed on a good group of guys!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I was that way 4 years ago when my last band "retired" from live performing. I was in need of a break. But as it happens, the urge has resurfaced and after many months of patiently searching, I think I've landed on a good group of guys!
    Those of us that have played gigs most of our lives have all been through this multiple times................I think it is a natural cycle.
    All I did in the 12 year period from 1999 through 2011 was play on studio projects.
    After that a guitarist friend called wanting me to attend an audition...........been playing gigs ever since.

Enjoy whatever part of the cycle you are now in...................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Those of us that have played gigs most of our lives have all been through this multiple times................I think it is a natural cycle.
    All I did in the 12 year period from 1999 through 2011 was play on studio projects.
    After that a guitarist friend called wanting me to attend an audition...........been playing gigs ever since.

Enjoy whatever part of the cycle you are now in...................
    Glad to hear you are in a content place. I'm getting there...
    Signature here

User Info Menu

You know it, brother!!!

Good for you. That situation is difficult to find, much less keep going.