Thread: Making it in the music industry.

User Info Menu

Default Making it in the music industry.

Ok I'm back. I just saw a video of making it in the music industry. The drummer that was talking said the music industry was very hard to get into. Not only do you have to be a good drummer but you have to have thousands of hours of practice and know how to read music. Also you have to have a passion for you music craft along with other good tips. I thought the video was interesting and informative and thought I would share this with you. Maybe it is time for me to get serious about my music and drumming.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Making it in the music industry.

Talent and luck are big factors as well .

User Info Menu

Right place at the right time and talent.

User Info Menu

yeah it's an extremely tough profession.

There are sooo many amazing no name hidden talent drummers doing studio work.
    I did some studio work in college and a short time afterwards and getting the gig was a tough gig. lol

User Info Menu

Good luck with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy79 View Post
    Ok I'm back. I just saw a video of making it in the music industry. The drummer that was talking said the music industry was very hard to get into. Not only do you have to be a good drummer but you have to have thousands of hours of practice and know how to read music. Also you have to have a passion for you music craft along with other good tips. I thought the video was interesting and informative and thought I would share this with you. Maybe it is time for me to get serious about my music and drumming.

Keep drumming
    Gregg
    The most important thing is loving it. Because even if you don't 'make it' you'll have an amazing time doing something you love.

User Info Menu

The truth is and its the ugly truth is this... A lady once told me that "showbusiness is an ugly business". People are judged not just by their talent and personality but by their looks and age.

Go to Craigslist and you will see very many bands that are very image conscious and only want players in their early 20s. When the add says "Must have stage presence" what they really mean is physically unattractive people need not apply....

Take a place like Nashville and heck Radio for that matter are constantly taking older singers and cutting them out in favor of younger talent. That's why guys like George Strait start their own label~Production company and books his own gigs because I think he saw how plastic people in the music business were and before they cut him out he did it to them! That's why a lot of old country singers had to move to Branson Missouri because radio and Nashville has cut them out! It's an ugly business.
    I have a friend that lives in Los Angeles and he's always complaining to me about the "Age Nazis" but I'm sure it's just like Nashville probably is.
    I don't like it one bit that people are that way but the truth is that they are. It's like highschool how popular are you <--question mark on my keyboard not working But yeah how many fake facebook friends do you have. Are you like me do you have like 20 folks or do you have thousand. Maybe I have a negative view of the industry but that's just how I see it. I've always respected guys like Frank Marino of Mahogany rush for shunning the suits and doing everything himself. He paid for his albums out of his own pocket, Does all his own promoting and booking. Gotta respect that even if he does sound like Hendrix wanna be clone.
    Last edited by wired; 10-11-2016 at 03:07 AM.

User Info Menu

I think it depends a lot on what you mean by 'making it'.

It's a lot easier to make 100k per year in a normal job than in music, if money is your motivating factor. But then again, if it's money you care about, quit music because music is about artistic expression, not something as base as money.

If you're ok with making 30-50k a year, you can do music full time: give lessons, gig a few nights per week, youtube vids, maybe get some studio work. Or you can work a 'normal job' and not worry about making money in music. I personally think once things like family come into play, this second option is a better one.

In terms of getting famous, well that's more about luck imo, plus marketing yourself and all that other stuff. Personally, focus on the music and don't worry about the rest. The band I quit, they tried to make it big, which led to an expensive UK tour and nothing from it. In the 7 months i've been gone, they have ZERO new songs, nor covers. So their concerts are no different than 1 year ago (except they have a better drummer now).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    The truth is and its the ugly truth is this... A lady once told me that "showbusiness is an ugly business". People are judged not just by their talent and personality but by their looks and age.
    Yes ! I know because I've been there .
    When I was younger and on the road there were a few "cattle call" auditions I went to in L.A. . On three occasions someone walked down the line and pulled people out and sent them off because "you don't fit the look" . I was one of them . There was the time I was flown into LA to gig with a Mexican band . I was recommended by the agency . The guy who was there to pick me up said "you're the guy !? Aw no ... no, no . I'm sorry but you're not going to work out...you don't fit in with the look" ! All before they even heard me play or even talked to me !
    Twice I made it in and everyone in the band was more than satisfied with how I played and felt good about me being in the band but then was turned down by the personal agent because "he doesn't fit with the overall look we're trying to cultivate" .
    Look .. that is the game that's played . I had my feelings hurt but I understood .
    However I did get to record the rhythm tracks for some of these bands and many others . So I didn't get to be in the band.... but I got to hear myself on the radio playing on their recordings !
    Success has many meanings . And there are so many ways you can be successful in the music industry without having to be in a band or on stage .

User Info Menu

My opinion here...the professional music industry is the most screwed up there is. Let's take 'country' music, or more specifically the pop stuff coming out of Nashville the past few years. In most cases you have an incredibly talentless lead singer making millions of dollars, to sing the most horrendous crap you've ever heard. And usually this individual is backed by some of the finest musicians alive, making peanuts.

Tex

User Info Menu

Does everyone remember Milli Vanilli and their "Grammy" ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    My opinion here...the professional music industry is the most screwed up there is. Let's take 'country' music, or more specifically the pop stuff coming out of Nashville the past few years. In most cases you have an incredibly talentless lead singer making millions of dollars, to sing the most horrendous crap you've ever heard. And usually this individual is backed by some of the finest musicians alive, making peanuts.

Tex
    Totally agree. Other than a few people like Brad Paisley most of it is pure horse manure. I have been deeply impressed with a young guitarist named Guthrie Trapp. Go youtube him playing with The Don Kelly band playing things Ghost riders and you'll hear very soulful playing with some jazz mixed in. Class act... But yeah I wonder what will happen when guys like Marty Stuart call it a day. The industry is very plastic and fake.
    I had a lot of time to think it over lying in this hospital bed...
    I monkeyed with another monkey's monkey
    And her gorilla whupped upon my head!~Johnny Paycheck

User Info Menu

I've got a friend who "made it" as a country music singer. He found that it wasn't all that it was cracked up to be for him, and he has enjoyed himself more since he went back on the Indie scene than he did while he was under contract with one of the big record labels. I've always considered things he has shared when I think about "making it".
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    Totally agree. Other than a few people like Brad Paisley most of it is pure horse manure. I have been deeply impressed with a young guitarist named Guthrie Trapp. Go youtube him playing with The Don Kelly band playing things Ghost riders and you'll hear very soulful playing with some jazz mixed in. Class act... But yeah I wonder what will happen when guys like Marty Stuart call it a day. The industry is very plastic and fake.
    Yep, agree back.

Brad Paisley is one of the few (again my opinion) that deserves the success he has earned. Heckuva vocalist, song writer, and wicked guitar player.

Gary Allan is another.

Tex

User Info Menu

John Sebastian wrote a song about it: Nashville Cats.
    He understood the enormous amount of talent there was out there, way more than he would ever have.
    But he'd just had six consecutive top ten hits, despite not playing all that well.
    The point is, it's not talent, it's exposure and luck (and having a father who was connected in the music business, in Sebastian's case) – and yes, stage presence.
    Anything worth having takes a lot of work, but don't do what you love, do what you're best at.

User Info Menu

Gary Allan is awesome. Smoke rings in the dark lyrics are a masterpiece.

User Info Menu

My first band was trying to "make it" back in the early 90s. We had a solid demo and some decent exposure in the LA area. Unfortunately the "music scene" was changing death/speed/thrash metal bands were loosing popularity.Grunge was taking over and we didn't have flannels, live in Seattle, or have that sound or look. Gigs were drying up and reality was setting in. I had my taste of the music business and I'm good. My mom dated a light tech for for a couple of years and he would get me in to concerts, backstage, after parties, shaking hands, drinking under age and plenty of groupies. For those out there trying to "make it", make sure you read and understand everything before you sign anything. Don't be afraid to ask questions!

User Info Menu

Love music...Hate the music business

all the best...

User Info Menu

I have no idea how it works anymore. CD's are nearly extinct which brings up the question why we spend a lot of time and money to even make them anymore. Self gratification? maybe.

I still like making them for that reason. It's nice to have something to look at and listen to and the memories associated with it.

Who remembers tacking up flyers on every telephone pole you could find? haha there use to be so much more leg work involved
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Does everyone remember Milli Vanilli and their "Grammy" ?
    That was a good album too.....
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.