Thread: new maple pocket ddrum kit

User Info Menu

Default new maple pocket ddrum kit

i just got this kit a few days ago and its not bad sounds amazing for the price the only thing i have to camplain about is the build quality of the set i know i shouldnt expect much from an 800 dollor set but i expected a little more than this, the snare was the biggest dissapointment i had the thing sounds amazing like really really good i actually prefer it over my dads top of the line oak custom snare but i was going through the inside of the shell and tightening the screwes that hold the lug in place and i came to a screw that i could not get my screwe driver into turns out it was stripped so i came up with simple solution my dad is going to give me a quarter inch nut driver so i can tighten that baby up another dissapointent was there was a tiny pice of the shell missing thats one thing i want to ask you guys is this going to matter in the long run? everthing else was fine except some of the nickel plating came of the hardware but we called the music store and got that taken care so all around great sounding kit just wish it had a little bit better build quality

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear about the build problems. Congradulations on the kit though! Some of the little stuff can be fixed easily as you work through the kit. Is the little piece of shell that is missing that you refer to, is it a small piece of material missing between the shell plys? Sometimes you can just take a little bit of carpenters putty and fill and sand it smooth. If they are maple shells just purchase mapel color putty, no big deal really, but it is a shame that you have a brand new kit and are having to fix minor problems like this. just take each drum and work through the issues and you'll have a good kit to play that will last you a good long while. I believe those drums are made over seas and shipped and distributed in the states so quality control would be something that is hard to control and a constant issue to be followed up on.

User Info Menu

it is a small piece missing by one of the lugs on the inside its probaly half a plie and its not very big but its still screwing with my head

User Info Menu

It can still be fixed the same way. If you are careful getting the right color of putty, it will never be noticeable.

User Info Menu

i dont know its on the inside of the shell so you dont notice it anyway the drum sounds fine so i might just leave it alone

User Info Menu

If you are like me an overly anal about things then it will bug you until you fix it. Maybe the store where you bought it will trade you out. Tell them to order you a new one and trade it out when it comes in.

User Info Menu

i might but i think i will just try to ignore it its sounds good and thats all that really matters right

User Info Menu

That sucks to hear about these problems. If the drum sounds good, I wouldn't worry about the little missing piece of wood (considering the price you paid). The Nickel plating coming off is more of a problem IMHO. That's can cost quite some money to fix, with it not being a standard hardware color. I was actually thinking of buying a Dominion Ash or Maple snare that has the same hardware......now I have second thoughts. Tell me what happens ok? Blessings.....

User Info Menu

Default snares great

sounds great looks great theres really no problem with mine im just totally anal the really only thing is wrong with mines is one of the screws is stripped i just cant tighten it with a screw driver but like i said i got a nut driver so its fine i shouldnt even say its striped out they just didnt mold im the exact, everbody screws, but by all means buy the snares it is a great little snare mine just wasnt perfect when i got it, o and btw if you do decide to get the snare make sure its the maple version sounds 100 times better then the ash version also the plating coming off the was on the floor tom not the snare and the onlt reason it was coming off was because it was shipped from ohio to missouri
    Last edited by roachmon; 11-21-2007 at 04:55 PM.

User Info Menu

If you have a warranty, or just purchased them, I suggest you take them back, because in my eyes they are defective, I would exchange them for either a different ddrum kit or another kit all together.

You should not have all those problems, those are manufactures defects, I have had three ddrum kits, ALL with lots of issues, I STRONGLY suggest you take them back, and at the very least exchange them out.

You should not have to fix or repair your brand new drumset, thats absolutely ridiculous.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pdplayer View Post
    You should not have to fix or repair your brand new drumset, thats absolutely ridiculous.
    agreed.

User Info Menu

well if im going to ship it back what kind of set should i get i would love for it to be maple and i want to keep it around 800

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by roachmon View Post
    well if im going to ship it back what kind of set should i get i would love for it to be maple and i want to keep it around 800
    Email Kevin Packard at Ddrum, his email is on there site, he is the devision mgr, at least for me he shipped me a new replacement kit at no cost and they paid for the return shipping, I used to have his # and will see if I can find it, but email him for sure.

User Info Menu

should i get another ddrum though i do not want to go through this again i just want to smack my drums and i will be serius with you my crappy pdp ez set had better build quality than this

User Info Menu

should i get another ddrum though i do not want to go through this again i just want to smack my drums and i will be serius with you my crappy pdp ez set had better build quality than this
    Well being very honest, I would not even consider another ddrum kit, because like I said I went thru 3 kits, two diatribe kits and a Dominion Ash kit, all with several serious issues, I hate ddrum, I think there drums are total crap, and I would be willing to bet money that your replacement kit will have issues as well, but it is up to you man, but I suggestion is return it and get something else like a nice PDP kit, or gretsch, or Pearl, or Sonor or mapex, any of these kits will stomp all over ddrum.

I am sorry to be a downer on your kit man, I just want you to be able to play and enjoy them, and I don't think that is possible with ddrum.

User Info Menu

did you end up keeping any of your ddrum kits i think they sound perfect the build quality sucks @$$ though

User Info Menu

kev is tha man on this matter. Do what he says and ull end up as good as him ! :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

did you end up keeping any of your ddrum kits i think they sound perfect the build quality sucks @$$ though
    NOPE, I got rid of them, and got my pdp kit.

User Info Menu

I agree with sending back the kit. Not only because you shouldn't have to fix a brand new product, but because the company that makes money off of defective products isn't likely to spontaneously improve. They have to be aware that poor quality is costing them money.

So returning the drums may in the long run Improve the quality of future ddrums (I would hope so anyways ).
    O Bailan Todos, O No Baila Nadie

Pictures Of my Drums -- My Last.fm page

User Info Menu

Cool

A new kit should never be defective,unless you know it and its priced accordingly,,,,
    maybe thats why GOD created ebay,,,,
    PLAY IT FORWARD BROTHERS AND SISTERS