Thread: Holding the drum sticks

User Info Menu

Default Holding the drum sticks

This is a subject that has be talked about before. But lately I have noticed drummers on some video's who are holding their drum sticks the traditional way but further up on the sticks. And it seems like they are more relaxed and play better. I am using 5A vic firth Jojo Mayer sticks because they are shorter than the normal vic firth 5A. Noticed my drumming isn't getting any faster or better. Maybe I should go back to the normal size vic firth 5A and work on holding my sticks more in the center. I am serious about improving on my drumming. Also it might help me to relax and play better around the kit. Please feel free to comment.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Holding the drum sticks

Gregg, it's more about the practice and less about the type of sticks you use. There are no less than about half a million amazing drummers in this world and they all play with different grips and different drum sticks.

User Info Menu

Another drummer once told me there's no correct way to hold a drumstick. It's good your experimenting with different sticks and types of grips. Eventually something going to work for you.

User Info Menu

I've seen what you are talking about. There's a guy's video I forget who and where but he explained that when he started holding the sticks further up the shaft then at the butt end that he is using the balance point to get more rebound and play with less effort.

I tried it but it's unnatural to me. Holding the sticks at the butt end feels better to me,but he made a real good argument for it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Gregg, it's more about the practice and less about the type of sticks you use. There are no less than about half a million amazing drummers in this world and they all play with different grips and different drum sticks.
    /\ This. If you want to improve, stop worrying about the inconsequential things and just go to the woodshed and put in the time.

User Info Menu

on another note ...drum stick diameter is dependent on the size of your hand

also if you want to play fast it's just a matter of leaving less space between notes rather than playing more notes

User Info Menu

I'm in the camp of "if it works for you, do it."

....however I am also a very big proponent of a great/proper stick grip and what it will enable you to do down the road as your hands get better. Holding in the middle of the stick is definitely not going to permit you to play any faster, it'll just force you to use more arm which isn't going to speed you up. The simplest, no-nonsense "tip" I was told from the beginning and still use for all of my students today is if you're using a Vic Firth stick, thumb on the flag is a great ballpark for where to put your fulcrum. A well-placed fulcrum will take you a long way.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by isaacvining View Post
    I'm in the camp of "if it works for you, do it."

....however I am also a very big proponent of a great/proper stick grip and what it will enable you to do down the road as your hands get better. Holding in the middle of the stick is definitely not going to permit you to play any faster, it'll just force you to use more arm which isn't going to speed you up. The simplest, no-nonsense "tip" I was told from the beginning and still use for all of my students today is if you're using a Vic Firth stick, thumb on the flag is a great ballpark for where to put your fulcrum. A well-placed fulcrum will take you a long way.
    I took this approach once I heard it in a Jojo vid (he makes great vids). I was playing the Steve Gadd sticks as I liked the thickness yet light weight. Two things happened: upon a recommendation from a rather disgruntled drum stop assistant, I took some slightly heavier sticks, and I started playing lower down on the sticks as I had noticed that's what a lot (ie all) the top drummers were doing.

I started playing lower first, and I immediately noticed improvement. I think the 1/3rd location is a good place to start, eventually we all need to find what works for us. As my buddy Nietzsche would say, "Reevaluate your valuations"!