Thread: Best Club Gig

User Info Menu

Default Best Club Gig

Many people here have read my posts on playing a certain club here in town that is the best facility and sound system (and sound man) in town.
    When the complete bar area is full at this place, the capacity crowd is 700................if you have half that number, it is still a great night.

This club has so many bands that want to play there, it is difficult to get booked there more than three times in a calendar year (I'm talking about the Friday and Saturday night slots -- weeknights are different)..........we got lucky this year with four nights booked.

We played February and June...............and next Saturday will be gig number three..............the last date booked is in early December.

Next Saturday will be a busy day; we play a one-hour set at a festival in the afternoon and then three more hours at our club gig beginning at 9PM.

For an old man like me, that will be a tough day.............I get to set up and break down twice, as well as play 4 hours of active rock covers.
    But if I'm going to have a tough day, I'm glad it will be playing gigs with my band...............life is good.
    Last edited by Ricardo; 10-15-2016 at 11:38 AM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best Club Gig

How did it go?

My only advice (for old men and young alike) would be to make sure you are hydrated and well fed for such a long day of drumming.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by No Me Metro View Post
    How did it go?
    The festival was packed and the afternoon set went well.

The club later that night was the worst night we have ever had there.
    The club manager told me that the night turned out to be "pretty good" but I don't agree................crowd was estimated @ 150.

We had originally booked in there for 10/29 (this coming Saturday).
    They called us two months ago and changed the date because they wanted to throw a Halloween costume party on the 29th.

We knew the 22nd had big conflicts like college football and the state fair in town.............turns out we were right.

All I did Sunday was sleep, drink mimosas, and sleep.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Sometimes the calendar works against you. Like getting a gig in a great spot only to learn there is an annual outdoor bash nearby that no one misses on the same night.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    Sometimes the calendar works against you. Like getting a gig in a great spot only to learn there is an annual outdoor bash nearby that no one misses on the same night.
    Yep....

Festivals, football games, local events...even harvest and planting season (around here). Even other bands at other venues. All the local bars have a Halloween costume party this Saturday, and they all have a costume contest with prize money. The bars stagger the prize announcement times...one at 10:00, one at 11:00, one at 12:00, etc.. The owners don't want to have their announcement at the same time as another bar, because then people will just go to the bar with the biggest prize. That means everyone dresses up and goes bar hopping trying to win the prize money at each place. Last year we played and had a packed house from 9:00 until 11:00. We announced the contest winners and within 5 minutes the bar was empty. Literally us and the bartender, LOL. The owner told us it would happen and not to worry...it was normal and he made good money while it lasted. He said the crowd loved us, drank a ton while they were there and if he DIDNT have a band, he wouldn't have had ANYONE. He paid us for the full night, gave us a free round, told us we could pack up whenever we felt like it and then he went home. We practiced new songs for an hour, partied with the bartender and went home.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham