Thread: bass pedals, chain vs belt

User Info Menu

Default bass pedals, chain vs belt

hey everyone, I'm in the market for a new bass pedal, what are the advantages of both system and the disadvantages ???
    when is one better than the other?

User Info Menu

Default Re: bass pedals, chain vs belt

I prefer the chain drive over the strap. Depends on what you are looking for. Most pedals come with both I know Pearl does. The reason why I prefer chain is stronger and longer lasting.

User Info Menu

Both systems work well, as does direct drive.
    And as with everything else, you can tell the good ones by looking at the price.
    Not trying to be the smarta$$.................just the truth.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

My favorite bass pedal is a early 80's Yamaha long board with a strap. It has countless amounts of use with the original strap.

It's really tough to say which what pedal is better, it's all personal opinion. My beloved Yamaha can often be found used for under $50 and I wouldn't trade it for whatever top dollar DW/Pearl/Tama etc that is offered today.

User Info Menu

I paid $30 for a belt driven Tama pedal recently. I did it solely because the price was ridiculous and I thought it could be something I store in my hardware crate as a back up. But I wanted to try it out first so I put it on my practice kit at the house. I freaking love the thing and it rivals anything else I have at higher prices. The belt looks like it's made from some time of Kevlar or something, and is incredibly smooth and responsive.

Tex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fred1diver View Post
    hey everyone, I'm in the market for a new bass pedal, what are the advantages of both system and the disadvantages ???
    when is one better than the other?
    Belt, chain or direct drive...it's all good. You just have to try them. On a personal note; I've never paid more than $60 for a pedal in my life. Never needed to because I mostly play basic bass drum patterns anyway.

Right now I've no chain drives as they aren't compatible with the salty air environment I live in. You should see the chains on my bicycles and motorbike. Rust city. LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    My favorite bass pedal is a early 80's Yamaha long board with a strap.
    I have two of those. I bought them to use on an e-kit that had double bass triggers. I'm certain they have over 100 gigs on them and all the practice sessions it took to play those gigs.
    They are still in great shape today with the original straps.

One is in storage and the other is my back-up pedal at gigs.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I don't mind belt driven pedals as I have a couple.
    But when I was a heavy hitter I had a belt or two break on me.
    They stretch out where the hole is that holds them on.

If I choose I choose chain now.
    Even if I don't play heavy just because I've seen the failure happen.