Thread: Bass drum heads

User Info Menu

Default Bass drum heads

So I busted my resonant head at a gig over the weekend and will be replacing it, obviously. I recently changed my snare and tom heads, but didn't mess with the kick drum. I have found a set of heads at a good price, and was curious is anyone is using this set up, and if so, what do you like/dislike about it?

https://www.amazon.com/Evans-EMAD-Sy...bass+drum+head
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass drum heads

I have used that reso and the EQ3 for years now. On my 22" kick the EMAD reso worked very well. I have a 20" kick on my current kit and found that the EQ3 provided a little more 'life' to the sound compared to the EMAD of the same size.

These are good quality heads so it will come down to your sound preferences.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

I'm looking for a deeper, driving kick sound, if that makes sense. I like my toms deep sounding as well.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

For 22" kicks, the EMAD should serve that purpose very well, It will be a dry sound but this helps to provide 'drive' also.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

I like the deeper tones for bass and toms myself.

I'm playing a 1-up, 2-down configuration of 13, 15, 18 with a 24.

I have really been liking the Aquarian SK10 on my bass drum batter and the Regulator series on the reso side.
    If you are not a heavy foot, the SK2 batter will probably do as well.

On the toms I'm currently using the Aquarian clear Super 2 with Studio X ring.

These heads don't need any extra muffle or dampening and I play them tuned deep............all toms sound good but my 18 FT is a monster.

I'm using these heads on an old set of USA Gretsch...............under the mic on a good PA these heads/drums sound very good.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I have a 22 bass drum and all I ever used is the PS3 with a un ported 2 ply aquarian with just a little pillow inside and it give me that loud boom sound that I want out of my drum. I have not experience with the EMAD. My kit is maple set 2 up 1 down 12-13-16 toms.