Default Re: Spalted Birch

Outstanding!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Truly amazing! You do fabulous work!

User Info Menu

The patience required to see a project like this to completion is amazing. Two years just to let the wood dry?! I'd never make it.
    I love how you did the kick. Going to be a serious kit. Really glad you shared this process. Keep the updates coming.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

What a beautiful project! I love what you created. It's so stunning.
    Keep the updates coming
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    The patience required to see a project like this to completion is amazing. Two years just to let the wood dry?! I'd never make it.
    I love how you did the kick. Going to be a serious kit. Really glad you shared this process. Keep the updates coming.
    Thanks man, trick is to have multiple projects overlapping so while one is on the shelf another is on the bench. But doing a whole kit is certainly a long process, just doing a snare is relatively easy and painless. Getting 5-6 drums done so they match, are consistent with each other takes so many hours of labour, I will probably have 150 hours into these by the time I am done.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Amazing work and a dedicated craftsman. I'm blown away!

User Info Menu

Love your projects man! So keen to see the finished product!

User Info Menu

Amazing

User Info Menu

Keeping the thread from drifting away. Still plugging away, since last update I have cleaned up the shells via sanding, completed all the bearing edges and snare bed. I added a splash of colour to the wood using some orange wash. And pictured here is the shells after the initial fill in coat of clear urethane. I will add a few more coats and then sand it back and lightly polish, hopefully ending up with a semi gloss.
    Was hoping to have these ready for my next gig, but that is on the 25th of Feb. Doubt I will make that deadline.

User Info Menu

So impressed by you guys that build drums like this. Amazing!

User Info Menu

Beautiful!

User Info Menu

I could only wish I could figure out what you do!!! Those are gorgeous!

User Info Menu

tasty !

User Info Menu

Wet sanded and sprayed the last of my clear coat last night. Now installing my signature vents.

And I got this maple beauty ready for a special order. One of my hardware suppliers supplied me with some 100 year old maple flooring torn up from an old factory that was torn down. 6 1/2 X 14" with a 30 degree back cut to get his edges part way started. He wants to do the edges, bed, finish assembly. Should be an amazing snare.

User Info Menu

Awesome. Those Birch shells are ENTIRELY too beautiful for someone like me to even THINK of playing. I believe I would set them up, sit back in a chair....and drink beer while staring at them all day.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Finally put this 13X7 Walnut snare back together. Had chrome mixed with satin aluminum before, brushed up some die cast hoops and the DW throw to give all the hardware some uniformity. I will try to get up some video, this little snare has huge body, really meaty for such a little drum.

User Info Menu

Beautiful snare! Your air vent blends very nicely with the rest of the hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Oh man...that's just so beautiful. Who's the lucky drummer getting this work of "art"?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Oh man...that's just so beautiful. Who's the lucky drummer getting this work of "art"?
    So far, I am keeping it in the stable. We are doing a song at Phase One studios in a couple weeks and may use this or my Sunburst Radio King, see which one makes the cut. Hoping to debut this kit that day also.

User Info Menu

Not enough free time, the suspense is killing me. Got the 24" kick assembled. Everything is ready to go, one more full day to get whole kit together.

User Info Menu

And the 14x6.5" snare ready to go.

User Info Menu

Oh wow!! I'm drooling....

User Info Menu

All done with no time to spare. Zapped the heads on with a Dewalt screw gun and headed in to Phase One Studios in Toronto. Amazing facility responsible for countless top shelf albums, sadly, closing this fall.
    The kit performed beyond expectations, the producer made many comments how great they sounded, did not have to touch a thing, no long exercises with EQ and tape, gates etc.
    Our song is still getting mastered, will post up when we get back the final copy.

User Info Menu

Sig...................
    Again, you did an amazing job on this set....................what a great find in the wood resource.
    The finished product looks remarkable and anyone can quickly see you have a real passion and talent for the art of drum-making.
    Congratulations on another fine project.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Signia...amazing set of skills you have! I wish I could hear the kit that studio setting. I bet it sounds amazing but I beg to ask...why the sub-kick? Wasn't there enough bottom end coming out of that kick? Thanks!