Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Default Re: Classical Music

Love Classical music, especially Beethoven. I try to listen to some every day. I am an appreciator of the genre but not a player of it.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I voted Like

Last edited by Olimpass; 10-28-2016 at 08:11 PM.

User Info Menu

It isn't something I listen to a lot, and if I do it's usually passive listening. But there are some pieces I really like. One of my favourites:

Last edited by xweasel; 10-27-2016 at 04:40 AM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

my second instrument is Piano.
    I actually teach piano also so I'm a big fan of classical piano and classical music

User Info Menu

In college we had to learn all the percussion instruments:
    Mallet keyboards, tymps, hand-held, and everything else in addition to the drum set...............and as Spaz mentioned, everyone took piano, as well as theory and ear-training.............loved it all.

We also had to take part in orchestra, jazz band, percussion ensemble or some other group each semester..............In the symphony orchestra I would usually play marimba and/or bass drum.

I love all types of music and was actually listening to Mendelssohn when I read the question in this thread.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I like it. I listen to it in the car quite often.

User Info Menu

Like but rarely listen to classical music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Like but rarely listen to classical music.
    You should. It helps to tame the savage beast that lurks within.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I don't mind it, and if there's nothing else on I'd rather listen to it than turn the radio off, but I avoid playing it.
    SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-GIGGA-TISH!

User Info Menu

I like it. 2cellos is one of my favorite duos
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    What's your opinion:
    I listened to some classical growing up,but when I started getting into drum and bugle corps,it was enlightening.

Prokofiev-Scythian Suite,Stravinsky-Fanfare from Firebird Suite, Moussorgsky- Coronation of Boris

These were the pieces they were playing in competition.

Then prog rock just re enforced the classical themes and structures.

ELP,Yes ,Jethro Tull,Manfred Mann all did classically structured stuff.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I kinda figured all the ones who played in school orchestra would have an appreciation, it's a bit harder for those who didn't since there's not a lot of drum set in it

User Info Menu

I kinda figured all the ones who played in school orchestra would have an appreciation, it's a bit harder for those who didn't since there's not a lot of drum set in it
    I'm perfectly fine with drum set less music. I listen to folk music as well that has little or no drums. My love affair with music transcends mere drums!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Being surrounded by piano players.....a few relatives taught it, my grandmother and great grandmother both played as it was the sort of home entertainment in their days, and Mum was classically trained but had to give it up when she went into nursing training in the UK, so I was always hearing stuff that was outside of rock and roll. So when I kept learning as a drummer I diversified into a whole range of percussion, which has helped whenever I've picked up work teaching at schools, because you never know when a school's music director will throw you the percussion scores for school versions of classical pieces and say "Here, teach the kids this if you can".....without being familiar with at least a number of classical pieces, you won't find it so easy. And practicing those scores are sometimes real good for your control of dynamics and finesse.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I am the principal percussionist and timpanist in a community orchestra. My wife and I have played in it for over 30 years. I lovse classical music.

User Info Menu

Timpani is so awesome, this week a local cinema had a kubrick festival, Zarathustra is so epic, all cause of the timps!

@kaygee, my point is just people have a tendency to listen, like and relate to music which they play to more, and since there are also a lot of metal drummers here, i was curious

User Info Menu

Timpani is so awesome, this week a local cinema had a kubrick festival, Zarathustra is so epic, all cause of the timps!

@kaygee, my point is just people have a tendency to listen, like and relate to music which they play to more, and since there are also a lot of metal drummers here, i was curious
    Good point. For instance: A pedal steel guitar player is more apt to listen only to Country music. I was nuts about music even before I selected an instrument. Not sure why I even chose drums exactly. Probably because of Ringo. He made drumming look so fun. I probably should have gone with guitar as it covers just about every known genre including classical.

all the best...

User Info Menu

If you want a fun one to listen to or play, try "The Bacchanal scene from Sampson and Delilah"