Thread: Jamming with Acoustic Guitars.

User Info Menu

Default Jamming with Acoustic Guitars.

Hey everyone! here is my question... I live in a college dorm, so I cannot really have my drumset from back home. What could I use to jam with my friends who play guitar? Would a cajon work well? Thank you all!
    Tomas!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Jamming with Acoustic Guitars.

Yes. A cajon would be a natural choice. They even make small ones and bongo type cajons.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

If youre in a dorm, size and volume are both considerations. A cajon is perfect. If you've never played one, it's a pretty fun instrument.

User Info Menu

Cajon as others have mentioned. I'd also consider a djembe.

User Info Menu

Or you could just use your snare and a pair of brush sticks?

User Info Menu

I am involved in three different acoustic projects using a cajon or conga. A cajon allows you to play things more like a drum kit using the snare and bass drum sounds which may make it more comfortable for you. Using a conga or djembe tends to take music in a different direction and also develops a different set of skills in my experience.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Cajon, djembe, etc, all would be great for this. Or, grab a guitar and join the fun too.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
    I am involved in three different acoustic projects using a cajon or conga. A cajon allows you to play things more like a drum kit using the snare and bass drum sounds which may make it more comfortable for you. Using a conga or djembe tends to take music in a different direction and also develops a different set of skills in my experience.
    I agree. I LOVE my home-built 2-chamber cajon because I can get bass & snare sounds, as well as several different tom sounds (depending where I slap it). I can also put my LP foot tambourine on my left shoe and play almost any type of music.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I agree. I LOVE my home-built 2-chamber cajon because I can get bass & snare sounds, as well as several different tom sounds (depending where I slap it). I can also put my LP foot tambourine on my left shoe and play almost any type of music.
    And cymbals strapped to my knees and a kazoo. Sorry, my brain just threw that crazy picture at me when I read your tambourine comment. Please don't tell me I'm the only nut that pictured that.��
    Last edited by G-man; 11-22-2016 at 10:32 PM.