Thread: What Kit to Get?

User Info Menu

Default What Kit to Get?

I'm looking for a kit. I'm saving up and the budget's about £1.5k for snare, kick, rack and floor. I like quite a punchy tom sound, and I play a few different styles as I'm in a brass band but like to play rock, also. Any suggestions?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: What Kit to Get?

I will give you the advise I got (very good in my opinion), go used from a major brand (Yamaha/Tama/Ludwig/etc.) on a mid level kit that you will be able to play for years. THis will save you money to spend on cymbals (also find used), gear, etc. I ended up with a like new set of Yamaha Stage Customs with hi hat, ride/crash, throne, bags, and all hardware for 1/3rd the price I would have paid new. Couldn't be happier.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

£1.5k will buy you a very nice 4 piece shell pack. I do, however, agree with OldeEnglishD on this one though. You will find a used DW Collectors Series, Pearl Reference, Yamaha Recording Custom/Absolute Hybrid, Mapex Saturn V for that money or less just to list a few examples.

A couple of years ago, I bought a new shell pack (to replace my old Mapex V series) as I already owned the cymbals and hardware I needed. I opted to buy new and went with a 5 piece (one up, two down) PDP Concept Maple as I found a great deal but I almost went down the used route (less than a 3rd of your budget). The benefit with new is that the drums will come with some sort of warranty (which I needed to replace the very dodgy tom mounts mine came with!) but these issues should not present themselves on a good quality used kit that has been well looked after.

You'd then have cash spare to purchase good quality cymbals, heads, hardware, etc. as needed or simply not spend as much.

However, if you are after punch, much will come down to heads and tuning but a good starting point will be Mapex Saturn.
    Last edited by BigFatDrummer; 10-28-2016 at 09:19 AM.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

1500 can get you something nice thats for sure. did you have any size or material preference?
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    I ended up with a like new set of Yamaha Stage Customs with hi hat, ride/crash, throne, bags, and all hardware for 1/3rd the price I would have paid new. Couldn't be happier.
    Birch goodness. Great choice!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    1500 can get you something nice thats for sure. did you have any size or material preference?
    Not really.

Actually, now I think of it, my current kit is £1500 new (Sonor Force 3003) but I got it for £400 used. So something around the £1500 mark that's already been used will surely sound great. I'm in the UK, so some kits aren't as easy to get hold of, but I really love the DW collectors series.

Thanks everyone

User Info Menu

I've looked at the same place I got my last kit from, they have a Gretsch USA Custom, natural finish for £400 over budget... or a Tama Starclassic Performer B/B, red sparkle lacquer for £895. Both kits have been on display for a while, but they're a reliable shop and wouldn't put something up if it was faulty.

User Info Menu

Gretsch USA Customs are 6-ply maple/gum................no birch.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

TAMA Starclassic Performer B/B red sparkle lacquer for the win...

20160801_232728 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Wow, that Tama looks nice.

Anyone got any thoughts on the Pearl Decade Maple kit?
    SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-GIGGA-TISH!

User Info Menu

Gretsch USA...Play it for 30 years and then sell it for more than you paid for it!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I just realised Pork Pie Zebrawood kits are up for grabs, 5 piece including snare for £2100... I think I'm gonna be saving for quite a while longer, haha!
    SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-GIGGA-TISH!