Thread: closed extra hi-hats

User Info Menu

Default closed extra hi-hats

hey everyone, just wondering what to do with my extra hi-hats, I've seen a boom arm for closed hi-hats, do any of you use them and are they really useful?

User Info Menu

Default Re: closed extra hi-hats

Quote Originally Posted by fred1diver View Post
    hey everyone, just wondering what to do with my extra hi-hats, I've seen a boom arm for closed hi-hats, do any of you use them and are they really useful?
    I would set them up on the right as closed hats like ringo uses.... eventually i will do that setup myself..

User Info Menu

It was killing me to have an extra set of hats and not hang them on my kit. I put them on as aux closed hats but in the end, took them back off.Found I didn't use them enough to justify taking up the space in my setup. It would have bothered me though if I never tried it.
    Gretsch Renown
    Ludwig Supraphonic
    Zildjian
    15”, 16”, 18” K Dark Thin
    16”, 18” K Sweet
    16" A Custom EFX
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    22” 60’s A Ride
    14" 50's Thin hats
    14” K Sweet hats

User Info Menu

I love having double hi-hats.

3 of my kits have another set on the right side and it's great.

User Info Menu

I also like a set of right side hi hats. First I had the remote closed hi hat from DW, (the old one with a full sized tube/ hi-hat seat) I liked it, but I always wanted a pedal to open them, eventually I got the 9000 series remote hat. I still play it every time. My right side hats are the Zildjian K/Z special 13" hats. The primary hats vary between the 14" K Constantinople and the 13" K Custom Hybrid, all are great hats.
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CollinCo.Drummer View Post
    I also like a set of right side hi hats. First I had the remote closed hi hat from DW, (the old one with a full sized tube/ hi-hat seat) I liked it, but I always wanted a pedal to open them, eventually I got the 9000 series remote hat. I still play it every time. My right side hats are the Zildjian K/Z special 13" hats. The primary hats vary between the 14" K Constantinople and the 13" K Custom Hybrid, all are great hats.
    I too use a remote hi-hat but I use all drop clutches so I keep it closed primarily but open it all the time. I love a good remote hi-hat

User Info Menu

I've used extra hi hats on my right side. I left them slightly loose for a little thicker sound, good for 'riding' on. Personally, I don't like remote hi hat pedals, they always seem to lag and feel weird to me. The only one I liked was the DW one, but its expensive. They usually work better when the hi hats are lighter/smaller.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

It really depends on what music you play.
    You can do some awesome things with 2 hi-hats...
    I've tried the closed hi-hat arms and a remote (Yamaha) and all worked fine. The Billdidit XChanger is really cool, it's a hi-hat arm that lets you adjust tension by just moving a lever, so you can even do it while you play if you need to go from closed to open in the middle of a song...just hit the top piece and the cymbals open up.

User Info Menu

I like having them. I started using them for Dbl. kick reasons. As I got use to them I realized they useful in other ways too. Sometimes I hit both hats with the kick, to make a bigger sound, like at the beginning of a song with the kick and hats just accenting a couple of notes. Also while you are riding on the aux hats, you can play the other hats with you foot, like you do when using your ride cym. I'm sure there are more creative ways to use them too.

User Info Menu

I have a set of what I call Trash-Hats on the right side of my kit. It's a 12" Meinl Nickel Splash on bottom and a 12" Wuhan China on top. Sounds cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I have a set of what I call Trash-Hats on the right side of my kit. It's a 12" Meinl Nickel Splash on bottom and a 12" Wuhan China on top. Sounds cool.
    Now that sounds creative and interesting. I bet that is fun to play.
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

thanks guys, so far I love my closed hats, I installed them close to the regular hats, I'm still learning and it gives me one less pedal to press lol

User Info Menu

I have both,closed hi hats and remote hi hats. Great to have for whatever!

User Info Menu

I always got the feeling that second hats are kinda more for advanced drummers, mostly because before that, it just doesn't seem to pay a lot of dividends, except for as lefty pointed out (ride one, open close the other) or maybe in the case of NPYYZ having an effect set (btw, I've also tried something like this, it's pretty interesting...

User Info Menu

i use the second hihat closed boom setup. I like it because I can quickly adjust them for a tight or loose setting. They work well when playing doubles on both hats, even helpful to hear how my doubles actually sound