Thread: I hate promo photo sessions...

User Info Menu

Default I hate promo photo sessions...

Tomorrow, actually today since it is after midnight here, our band is getting promotional photos done. It is one of those things that you have to do for promotional reasons, but I rarely enjoy it.

So often these things turn out so hokey. Here's hoping that somehow all of us old rockers don't look ridiculous.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Default Re: I hate promo photo sessions...

Bikini chicks never hurt.

Now I'm going to make a attempt at being really serious........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....................................Nope, can't do it.

They will never notice that you are all old. Might not notice you at all, but that's not what you are going for. I'll have to re-think this, but in the meantime:

BIKINI CHICKS NEVER HURT!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

I'm with you. Anything staged like that drives me crazy. Give me a random candid shot anyday over the 'stand like this, no not like that, don't smile, left hand on the fence post, blah, blah'.

The bikinis do help, Rick.

Tex

User Info Menu

I just had a FB memory pop up from 11 years ago... it was a photo taken during a band shoot... oh man! Fake brick background trying to look like the cool guy.

User Info Menu

I remember seeing 1 about 20+ years ago. The bands name was "It's Alive", and the picture had 5 tombstones with their names on them.

User Info Menu

I've been threw a few where they actually put makeup on me ! Oh man...I hated every minute of it . The pictures did look good tho . And the makeup girls were pretty .
    Well pretty psycho when I tried to get them to leave me alone a week later! But the pictures came out good !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Not true. It hurts looking at that old picture of Cheryl Ladd. About gave me a heart attack.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Not true. It hurts looking at that old picture of Cheryl Ladd. About gave me a heart attack.

Nobody watched Charlie's Angels because of the great stories.

You could turn the sound off and still figure out who did it, why they did it, and when they did it.

The only thing you had to figure out was who was going to be in a bikini when they caught him/her.

Hard to believe she's 65.

User Info Menu

Today our rock and soul cover band had a photo shoot, we needed some professional shots for promotional materials.

Full disclosure, I hate doing these. In forty years of gigging I have more been involved in too many of these that despite good intentions did not go well. They can end up looking hokey. I admit to starting the day with low expectations, happily I was wrong.

We drove out to the middle of nowhere to meet the photographer and her assistant. She was very professional and had a few ideas of places to take the shots. We piled back into our vehicles and followed her to the first location, a covered bridge. That's when it got interesting.

Just as we were getting into position a car came around the bend. We started to get out of the way as soon as we heard it coming, but when we saw it we flagged down the driver. It was an exceptionally cool 1947 flat black Ford coupe. No, we didn't know him. No, she didn't know him. It was just dumb luck. We explained that we are a band taking some promotional photos and asked if we could pose with his car, he happily agreed.

These are not the actual professional photos of course, but candid shots that her assistant took with her phone. I think that the real photos will be pretty cool. We ended up taking photos at four different locations and I'm actually looking forward to them.

-Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."