Thread: Buying Used from Sam Ash..Anyone Experience this?

BackStreetDrums Guest

Default Buying Used from Sam Ash..Anyone Experience this?

I recently came across a Paiste flat ride, no longer made, up for sale on the Sam Ash used site.

Like ALL products on the site, there is no 'cart' or 'buy' button. You have to contact the store selling that item and arrange through them. I have only attempted to purchase from them this way twice.

The first time, another cymbal, I emailed the store which listed the item, asked for a PayPal invoice so I can order/pay for item.
    I then received an email reply from that store manager, apologizing the "cymbal has been sold". No problem, it happens.

A few days ago I came across the vintage Paiste flat. I emailed the particular store to inquire purchasing it, to send an invoice.
    I received a reply back indicating,
    "there is a sale pending on this item, and not available for sale".

So, I started thinking, this must be a marketing ploy, as false and wrong as I believe it is, to attract buyers. And if the item is sale pending, why is it still listed for sale on the site, 72 hours after I was told?
    Not a very good way to do business.
    And I know I will get replies saying, 'never buy cymbals on line'. But they do offer a 45 day return policy, so, why not? Especially if a good deal can be found...if not 'sale pending'

User Info Menu

Default Re: Buying Used from Sam Ash..Anyone Experience this?

I'll tell you most stores don't have a set internet sales person.
    A lot of music stores are NOT good at keeping up with their inventory online.

BackStreetDrums Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    I worked at sam ash when they started doing used sales online so I can tell you exactly how it works.

1. employee in each department takes pics of an item, uploads to website, writes short description and posts it.

2. thats it, no one ever touches it after that.

In theory they wanted us to mark items that were online with a special tag so we'd know to take it down if it was sold, but I can tell you that almost never happened. The system is slow and poorly designed, no one wants to use it. Selling used gear through the website was and is a huge hassle. I mean for christ sake you have to call the store and get issued a paypal bill. Thats after talking to the sales associate who has no idea what item you are referring to, or if it still exists. Then they have to figure out a shipping cost, which I can tell you now is mostly arbitrary and guesswork.
    I would have expected better. Their competitor, GC, does it right. I had purchased a Bosphorus Master Vintage ride...they had a 'cart' and 'Buy' tag, it worked flawlessly..4 days latter had my cymbal.
    So, someone like Sam Ash not able to, is a bit disappointing.
    Thanks for the info.
    I no longer will go there.

User Info Menu

I have never bought anything from them, new or used, but I can agree with GC getting their used system right. I did order 1 or 2 things in the past that had already been sold and weren't off the site, however this seems to have been fixed. Before, when someone placed an order, the used item wasn't removed until the next day or 2. Now it's marked sold once the order is finished. Much better!

User Info Menu

I have friends that swear Ash is the best thing since sliced bread. I never had that experience. I've been dealing with GC for 30 years mainly in my area Sam Ash's started appearing about the late 90s. I have shopped there but does nothing for me.

BackStreetDrums Guest

It must be a problem when stores expand.

As a teenager in NYC, a drummer enthusiast, I'd visit what was Drummers Row. Several blocks near Times Square that housed the one and only Sam Ash, which catered to drummers, Manny's, another local drum store near by, as well as Max's/Maxwell...I recall several floors of drums stacked to the ceiling. Slingerlands, Ludwigs, Rogers, Camco..some names etched in memory. You could walk down the street, look up to the 2nd floor windows and see 'drums'..many of them. These were stores where you could bump into local rock drummer like Carmine Appice, Dino Danelli, Gene Krupa who ran a drum school/studio on the same street. Jimi Hendrix could be seen as well with Mitch Mitchell when in town. Memories and good service.
    No more.
    Last edited by BackStreetDrums; 11-18-2016 at 04:28 AM.