Thread: drum mutes

User Info Menu

Default drum mutes

has anyone used vic firth's drum mutes? I'm looking for a way to practice in the late hours and early mornings, do they mute the drums a lot?

User Info Menu

Default Re: drum mutes

found the old thread, just wondering if any other people had used them and what they thought

User Info Menu

they work pretty well. I wouldn't worry about anyone hearing you play if you're in a separate room. There will be some 'dead thud' noise from hitting the pads but other than that its pretty good.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

The best way to practice quietly, is to put mesh heads on the kit...they are quieter than the rubber pads on top of regular heads, but if you're then gonna have to put regulare heads to go gigging, then this is not an option, unless you like swapping heads a lot...

User Info Menu

I don't have them myself, but a couple of friends use them so they don't wake up their kids, and they do a good job. Put them on when you need them, and take them off when you are not playing or they will damage your heads, and turn your cymbals black

User Info Menu

Never really liked them. The snare is still pretty loud with one on. I used them when I was taking lessons a few years back.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

thanks everyone, all good info, some pros and some cons
    I'll have to make up my mind and decide if they will be worth it

BackStreetDrums Guest

Truly recommend. I play at 4am every day. They never bother anyone asleep.

User Info Menu

can they be easily be cut down to size?
    I found a used set but I'd need to trim 2 of them, but at 60$ instead of 115$ I don't mind doing some trimming

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fred1diver View Post
    can they be easily be cut down to size?
    I found a used set but I'd need to trim 2 of them, but at 60$ instead of 115$ I don't mind doing some trimming
    yes. they are like mushy foam, I have cut mine before with a regular scissor
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

cool thanks spatzST

User Info Menu

If you're looking for cymbal mutes, try cutting up a couple of old t-shirts and drape them over the cymbal.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

BackStreetDrums Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    If you're looking for cymbal mutes, try cutting up a couple of old t-shirts and drape them over the cymbal.
    DITTO!

Was going to add that as well...(or rags/old towel etc)

User Info Menu

The kick noise will travel the most. Even with a sound off pad it still acts like a sub woofer so depending on how thick your walls are, others will hear the equivalent of someone outside pounding a rubber mallet and it may also be felt a bit which fools people into thinking they hear it.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

I use Sound Off and Sound Percussion in my studio myself. They seem to work pretty well. Be sure and throw off the snare.

User Info Menu

thanks everyone, I'll try the T-shirt trick, so far I like them, just the cymbals are still loud, yeah I noticed right off the bat for the snares lol

User Info Menu

I bought some Silent Stroke Drum Heads.....they deaden the noise about 90% they do exactly what they are meant to do. You still get some feel from them but i find them decent just to practice and you are not annoying anyone