Thread: Ludwig Black Magic

User Info Menu

Default Ludwig Black Magic

OK, so i am really interested in this drum, but have never seen or heard one in person. If anyone has had any experience with one, i would like to know about the sound, and if the build quality is good, also if you have any other snare recommendations in a similar price range. Thnaks in advance,
    Henry
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Black Magic

What size are you interested in? I LOVE my Taye Metalworks 14x5 brass which I've seen recently for around $200. Pearl Sensitone Brass is similarly priced if I'm not mistaken.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

I own a 7X13 Black Magic and it is a superior drum.

Cast hoops, tube lugs, P85 throw (good, not great) BNOB.

Get one - you won't regret it.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I have a Black Magic. Go to my vids for the last 6 weeks or so and listen to what they "can" sound like.

The snare is the 1st drum I hit so you don't have to listen to the whole thing.

BTW, it's 14x6 (1/2) with the stock reso and a Diplomat batter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I have a Black Magic. Go to my vids for the last 6 weeks or so and listen to what they "can" sound like.

The snare is the 1st drum I hit so you don't have to listen to the whole thing.

BTW, it's 14x6 (1/2) with the stock reso and a Diplomat batter.
    Thanks, I will have a look.
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    What size are you interested in? I LOVE my Taye Metalworks 14x5 brass which I've seen recently for around $200. Pearl Sensitone Brass is similarly priced if I'm not mistaken.
    Possibly 14-5.5 or 14-6.5, not sure at the moment

User Info Menu

we had two black magic snares at my store.
    One was a 14x8 and OMG I regret not buying it.
    But the throw off killed it for me. . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    But the throw off killed it for me. . .
    Hmm...
    I don't see why people are so concerned with throw offs, unless it's completely useless, i don't see why it would change my opinion of a snare.
    Anyway, i shouldn't be debating with someone with as many snares a you!
    I am thinking of getting the 14-6.5 at the moment, because my existing snare is 14-5.5 and i don't want a huge 14-8. Thanks for the advice!

User Info Menu

I said the throw is "good, not great".
    Which means good enough that it does the job.

Yes -- I have other snares with better throws; when I was shopping for my Black Magic, I was told the throw was crap................not the case at all with my drum.............it does just fine.

It is a P85 type.................not my favorite..............but not a problem.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I said the throw is "good, not great".
    Which means good enough that it does the job.

Yes -- I have other snares with better throws; when I was shopping for my Black Magic, I was told the throw was crap................not the case at all with my drum.............it does just fine.

It is a P85 type.................not my favorite..............but not a problem.
    Agreed with Ricardo.Not a big fan of the P85's. I stuck a P 86 replacement on my 1980 maple snare (ludwig) and I love it! If I ever get a Black Magic snare I'll most likely put a Dunnett/gibraltar throw replacement on it anyway. It will bolt right on w/adapter.

User Info Menu

there seems to be 2 BM's of different sizes in the market. One is good and one is okay.

I have the okay one (6 1/2 x 14 stainless steel shell, 2.3 tf hoops, with imo a junk throwoff, made in Taiwan drum.

or you spend more and get the good one, BNOB with die cast hoops. Don't know if the throw off is the same on this one... probably not. Made in Taiwan.

Black Magics are welded while Black Beautys the superior drums are spun (seamless).
    Last edited by slinky; 11-28-2016 at 08:20 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I have the okay one (6 1/2 x 14 stainless steel shell, 2.3 tf hoops, with imo a junk throwoff,
    or you spend more and get the good one, BNOB with die cast hoops.
    SS shell w/ flange hoops ?
    Why would that be considered a Black Magic ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Wait....what? Something you don't have already? I think I just felt the ground shake.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

SS shell w/ flange hoops ?
    Why would that be considered a Black Magic ?
    IDK but they do. The one i got had a good price tag so thought i'd try it out. Never even use it. It rings too much and only good for about 2 songs before the throw off and lugs start to loosening.

Used it at practice for awhile and at one point the tension screw for the throw off was on the floor. The throw off lever also jammed and would not move. I just left it like that
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    IDK but they do. The one i got had a good price tag so thought i'd try it out. Never even use it. It rings too much and only good for about 2 songs before the throw off and lugs start to loosening.

Used it at practice for awhile and at one point the tension screw for the throw off was on the floor. The throw off lever also jammed and would not move. I just left it like that
    Hey Slink.................
    Is that drum some kind of knock-off ?
    Ludwig makes good snare drums; what you just described doesn't sound like a good snare drum................something doesn't add up.
    My 7X13 BNOB Black Magic is very well-built, looks gorgeous and sounds gorgeous...............stock photo below:

Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Hey Slink.................
    Is that drum some kind of knock-off ?
    Ludwig makes good snare drums; what you just described doesn't sound like a good snare drum................something doesn't add up.
    My 7X13 BNOB Black Magic is very well-built, looks gorgeous and sounds gorgeous...............stock photo below:

My BM looked just like that, but I have seen advertisements with the SS snare listed as a "Black Magic"....................

I can only speak for the one I had for 3+ years.............it was a great snare and I regret selling it..................it was 95% of my BB..............at less than half the price.

User Info Menu

I don't think it's a knockoff, It came in a Ludwig box and had a Ludwig head on it. The ads clearly mention the shell being ss but i was thinking Ludalloy. I wish i had waited and got one of the ones you guys have. I know they're pretty awesome drums.

I Just chalked it up to a reminder that you get what you pay for.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Yes slinky, it's a genuine Ludwig stainless steel Black Magic snare. Ludwig made them about 5 or 6 years ago in addition to the brass shelled drums. I believe they were the prototypes to the current Supra-Lite line of snare drums.

User Info Menu

I have just ordered my snare, very excited! it's the 14.5 model with chrome 2.3mm hoops and chrome lugs. Now i just have to wait..