Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got the gig!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Got the gig!

F'in bass players, man.

User Info Menu

Yikes.

You sort of feel all by yourself don't you?

Give it some time...you'll see the trends continue or it will get better. You'll know what to do either way.

Good luck, my friend.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Ruh Roh

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Finally ready and he says ok I am good what is the 1st song?

Lead singer starts getting mad asking why he did not bring the set list she sent out 2 days ago, he then starts complaining about playing the 2nd set list 1st this time etc etc. Also a few intro's I am playing I do not hear any Bass? I look over and he is flipping pages in his sheet music book then finally comes in in the middle of 1st verse?

I am hoping it was just a bad night for him but I get the feeling I am going to lose patience with that pretty quickly. Lead singer is fantastic 2 guiatr players are decent but we did have some start stop problems which I chalk up to lack of familiarity but I seem much more concerned about them and fixing them than anyone else does, which is a bad sign.
    Sounds like every band I've played with! I call it normal....but not good.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    I have a hard time putting up with that for too long.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFortress View Post
    F'in bass players, man.
    LOL Does always seem like Bass players eh? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Yikes.

You sort of feel all by yourself don't you?

Give it some time...you'll see the trends continue or it will get better. You'll know what to do either way.

Good luck, my friend.
    Thanks Bud, Yeah I am trying to stay positive. I have not played with a band in 6 months or so because of this kind of thing but I am going to try to stick it out because I seem to get lazy with my own playing if I am not playing with anyone regardless of how good the situation is.

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Ruh Roh
    You read my mind

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Unfortunately me too, I know we are just weekend warriors and not going on tour but I just do not get how people seem to have no concern about looking like jackasses. Man atleast start and stop together.. Ughh

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I have a hard time putting up with that for too long.
    So do I, I have left the same band 3 times and now this band is going down the same road.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

MDK! Didn't you say in the OP that this was a well known band? I would talk to someone in the band that you feel like you can talk to and ask them what the hell happened.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Auditioned for a well known band in the area last night and got the gig which is surprising because out of the 30 or so songs we only played 6 of the 20 songs they sent me to work on. They have really good female singer and she loves Heart so some of those are tricky to say the least but I love all those songs.

After we played for 2+ hrs we chatted for awhile..they are playing a gig sat. And really do not want to hire another fill in. Not sure I'll be 100% ready but I should be able to get by so I accepted. After I accepted they said they also do the backing band for an Elvis impersonator on New Year's Eve three sets. All new material for me. We start rehearsing with him next week. Funny how you go from playing nothing just to to CDs in your basement to suddenly full out again. Time to get a 2nd kit now.. : )
    Congrats! That is very cool.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."