Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orlich Glass Drum Kit

User Info Menu

Default Re: Orlich Glass Drum Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Hey Rich...............long time, no see !

That glass kit is ridiculous............would love to play that.
    That stuff has to weigh a ton.
    Cool story about meeting that guy; I've never read any Ludwig book -- just all the Gretsch stuff.

We have a gig tonight in a new rock club; I have no idea what to expect.
    But the stage + PA + lights look great.................we'll see.

Played one of their snare drums a few years ago at California Percussion in San Fran.
    OK sounding ,but as expected ,very heavy.
    Easily 15 or 20 pounds.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Very cool you meeting Mr. Schmidt late8! You had to sell the Zicko's?
    I've seen the glass kit a few times at the drum show before unless there's another one out there other than that Orlich.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Hate to see you get rid of the Zikos, but if you had to, you couldn't ask for a better buyer. Literally. I'm with you...NO WAY I would have sat behind a kit & attempted to play anything in front of him. Reminds me of when I ran into Dennis St.John (long time drummer and musical director for Neil Diamond) in a local bar. I had no clue who he was at first. The bar owner introduced us and said "he used to be a professional drummer". Had a fantastic conversation about drumming over a few drinks. Just goes to show you, everyone is the same at heart.
    Absolutely Brian. I was very skeptical at first about his credentials but upon reading the forward and the preface in his book, I was stunned and a bit bewildered on the 1.5 hour drive back home. I actually asked him "...so drumming is your "thing" huh?" as we were wrapping up the transaction. He had that furrowed brow look on his face as if I were kidding but he replied in earnest and said "I play a little guitar once in a while".

His motive for buying Zickos? First and foremost, this was a kit he dreamed about as a teenager. "Oh the Zickos 400?" he said as I brought out each shell from the cases.

Second reason which I find the most intriguing was that he could study the hand and feet movements of his students as they played by looking directly through the shells. Ingenious!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Those Premier stands are sick! Looks like they're right out of the 50s.
    I didn't even know Premier made such elegant hardware. Schmidt said the stands would blend well with the Zickos kit. He had a grin "ear to ear".
    Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    That is awesome! Thanks for sharing such a cool experience with us! Those drums are incredible and it sounds like Mr. Schmidt is a very interesting guy.
    You're welcome. I wish I could of had a chance to talk to him more about his life but he was rather focused on the Zickos kit and I could tell that the "wheels" were "spinning" in his head on what or how to move that glass kit. He said he needed a new motivation or something to ignite him and his students and the Zickos came at the right time for both of us!
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Wow, that is way too cool!

I wonder if Jennifer Lawrence has a chance of replying to one of my ads...

Tex
    lol! Randy, you never fail to make me laugh! Ha! What ad exactly huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    now that is absolutely AMAZING!
    Zack, I'm so glad I had a chance encounter with Schmidt. The ultimate "gearhead" in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    That is one unique drum kit. I would be afraid to hit it in case all the glass shatters lol. Still she must be heavy to lug around. Nice to hear from you Rich it has been too long man. Congrats on meeting this man and getting a autographed copy of his book. I hardly recongized you in the pic but you do look good man.
    Gilles, I've been away trying to sell and thin the "herd". Got three sold. Zickos and recently the Pork Pie Little Squealer 24" kick in dark cherry lacquer went to a college aged guy who was trying to form his own metal band. Funny how the older drummers hated or despised the "Pig" logo when I mentioned what I had for sale but the millennial aged drummers simply love the "Pork Pie" logo and the company. I had one older guy tell me "He'd never be caught behind that kit". hahaha!

Speaking of my appearance, I lost 25 pounds and now sport a old fashioned "flat top". I was thinning in the weirdest spots on my head so I said "the heck with it" and started getting flat top hair cuts, which by the way is so much more than my usual $8.00 deal!

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I wonder how they put the bearing edge on? Sanding, I would assume.
    Good question. I should of asked Schmidt but my intimidation factor was at +10 when I thumbed through his book as I was about to leave and found the "background" paragraph on the author (Schmidt). His grandfather (a Pastor) performed the marriage ceremony for William Ludwig Sr., and his grandmother talked Ludwig Sr., into giving Schmidt and his grandmother a tour of the Ludwig factory in Chicago during the peak of their production. His book describes what he saw and who he met during the tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Wow, Rich! What a story. And what a unique kit.
    Dude, I was blown away at the detail of the kit but this man must be a perfectionist. Every object in his teaching studio was lined up exactly in order. Every framed picture hung perfectly straight on his walls. No dust or clutter anywhere. Perfecto!
    Hey Rich...............long time, no see !

That glass kit is ridiculous............would love to play that.
    That stuff has to weigh a ton.
    Cool story about meeting that guy; I've never read any Ludwig book -- just all the Gretsch stuff.

We have a gig tonight in a new rock club; I have no idea what to expect.
    But the stage + PA + lights look great.................we'll see.
    Awesome! You still gigging with the band with the female lead singer? If so, how's that going?

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Nice comeback post.

Sheesh!!
    Thanks Mark! I saw your Tama kit and you on your FB page. Looks like you had to con Zack to film a :30 second video on his fabulous new Pork Pie Zebra kit too eh?
    Is he back for sure or just a tease lol
    Working on a project that I started here nearly 5 years ago...stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamastar View Post
    Man, what an interesting post. Thanks Rich
    Your welcome! My pleasure!

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Thanks for sharing, Sounds like a great guy and that kit is really great looking. Would love to hear it
    Me too. I wish I had a chance to hear it too but both of us were pretty pre-occupied with the task at hand. He had to break down a kit which I assume hasn't moved in ages. I had a 1.5 hour drive back home through one of the most congested freeway corridors in the San Francisco Bay area, the I-680, I-580/I-205 north bound freeway system back to my rural town of Lodi. Looks like I'm stuck here for a while (sorry).
    Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    They'd be nice drums until you got a gig with Ella Fitzgerald and she hit one of those "Is it Live or is it Memorex?" notes!

all the best...
    Hey kay-gee. I actually thought about you (scary I know) when I was down at Schmidt's studio. You being the consummate Ludwig snare fanatic and knowing how loyal you are to vintage gear, I thought to myself, "I bet that kay-gee would be going nuts right about now".

If you ever have a chance to pick up Schmidt's book, do it! The quotes from Ludwig Jr., are very interesting. He spoke very little about Buddy Rich and it wasn't very flattering either.

Quote Originally Posted by carbohydrate kid View Post
    Those are beautiful!
    A first for me. When Schmidt called me to set up the meeting he mentioned he had an Orlich glass kit. I said to myself, "Ok a fiberglass kit; no biggie" but when I showed up and found out it's real glass not the nick name for fiberglass which many refer to kits made from that material as simply "a glass kit". Boy was I pleasantly surprised!

User Info Menu

This is the thing I like about Rich, he always finds time to answer everyone's comments this is how much of a caring guy he is. Thanks Rich we appreciate you as a friend.

User Info Menu

This is the thing I like about Rich, he always finds time to answer everyone's comments this is how much of a caring guy he is. Thanks Rich we appreciate you as a friend.
    I was just looking at that in amazement!

I appreciate you taking the time out to do so indeed Rich!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    Played one of their snare drums a few years ago at California Percussion in San Fran.
    OK sounding ,but as expected ,very heavy.
    Easily 15 or 20 pounds.
    wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Very cool you meeting Mr. Schmidt late8! You had to sell the Zicko's?
    I've seen the glass kit a few times at the drum show before unless there's another one out there other than that Orlich.
    Schimdt lived in Chicago for quite some time. I believe he may of taught music at one of the universities in the area if I'm not mistaken so you may of seen this kit at the Chicago drum show?

User Info Menu

Likewise Gilles! If I ever miss responding, it's because I didn't scroll down the page far enough! By the way, still using my grounding sheet!

User Info Menu

Man, that Orlich kit is cool, cool, cool, and will likely give you a hernia, hernia, hernia if you ever have to move it. Still, to see it in person is a once in a lifetime moment.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Man, that Orlich kit is cool, cool, cool, and will likely give you a hernia, hernia, hernia if you ever have to move it. Still, to see it in person is a once in a lifetime moment.
    lol! Knowing my luck, I'd probably shatter the kit by merely moving it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I was just looking at that in amazement!

I appreciate you taking the time out to do so indeed Rich!
    You're welcome Zack!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Awesome! You still gigging with the band with the female lead singer? If so, how's that going?
    Yes.............the band is strong and, for me, remains enjoyable.

We recently got cheated by one of the venues we had been playing and decided we will no longer play that club; that is just fine with me because 1) I have to play a cheap house kit when we play there and 2) we have been playing too often anyway, IMO.

However, we still have gigs lined up through May of next year and we will be working on some new material directly after the new year begins.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Yes.............the band is strong and, for me, remains enjoyable.

We recently got cheated by one of the venues we had been playing and decided we will no longer play that club; that is just fine with me because 1) I have to play a cheap house kit when we play there and 2) we have been playing too often anyway, IMO.

However, we still have gigs lined up through May of next year and we will be working on some new material directly after the new year begins.
    That's great to hear! Man, I'd love to come out to catch you guys someday but you're so far away!!

User Info Menu

That is cool from all sorts of perspective. Meeting someone with such interesting history, and seeing in person a rare kit like that. I doubt it could ever be a live gig kit, would be too heartbreaking seeing a hairline crack due to a bump during load out.

I guess you didn't invite him to join us here in Drumchat?
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

I agree a very nice story, very cool, but I'm in the minority here as I think that glass kit is just plain ugly. No offense to anyone just not my thing I guess.

User Info Menu

I have to agree, it's sort of ugly you'd need a lot of Windex and time to clean it

in response to kay-gee... this commercial is so ridiculous... did anyone ever buy into the claim?

Last edited by slinky; 12-30-2016 at 06:42 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I have to agree, it's sort of ugly you'd need a lot of Windex and time to clean it

in response to kay-gee... this commercial is so ridiculous... did anyone ever buy into the claim?

I did buy into it, and I still have and use alot of those free ones I got when I bought 2.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    That is cool from all sorts of perspective. Meeting someone with such interesting history, and seeing in person a rare kit like that. I doubt it could ever be a live gig kit, would be too heartbreaking seeing a hairline crack due to a bump during load out.

I guess you didn't invite him to join us here in Drumchat?
    lol! The one tag I created for this thread will sure to get hits.
    Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I agree a very nice story, very cool, but I'm in the minority here as I think that glass kit is just plain ugly. No offense to anyone just not my thing I guess.
    The look of all of the brass made me do a double take, Yes it's ugly but the work and skill involved to produce an all glass kit was interesting to say the least. The etchings below all of the brass work was intricate but hidden from plain view which is kind of a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post

lol! I remember this ad.

User Info Menu

Bumping this up...looks like Schmidt's kit is up for sale? Wow! $9,995... anybody???

Last edited by late8; 01-12-2017 at 08:36 AM.