Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re-Curved TV's

User Info Menu

Default Re: Re-Curved TV's

They really are slick. You can see a difference in everything that you watch, and the football games really jump out at you.

User Info Menu

I will be getting a 4k for the bedroom soon. No curved screen though.
    I see absolutely no point to a curved tv screen unless the tv is 15 to 20 feet wide and the curves actually "surround" to your sides like a movie theater screen.
    Total sales gimmick in my opinion, all you're doing is seeing the edges from a slight angle. What's the point?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    I will be getting a 4k for the bedroom soon. No curved screen though.
    I see absolutely no point to a curved tv screen unless the tv is 15 to 20 feet wide and the curves actually "surround" to your sides like a movie theater screen.
    Total sales gimmick in my opinion, all you're doing is seeing the edges from a slight angle. What's the point?

When you are looking at it straight on, you don't even notice the curve.

Where the difference is for me is when I'm having breakfast (or lunch, or dinner), I'll sit in the breakfast nook I made for my GF. I would have to turn my 46" flat screen a little to see the picture clearly. With the curved screen, I don't have to.

Depending on when you last bought a TV, the curved screen TV's have a clarity that (in my limited comparison) is better than the flat screen TV's. It also comes down to cost. The more you are willing to pay, the better the TV is.
    You can get a 55" flat screen for $599, and a 55" curved for $699. I paid $1,500 and change for mine and that was with a $900 discount for the Black Friday sales, so my picture is better than 1 that costs $699. You can pay more, but what you are getting is more bells and whistles than a better picture.

My point is, when you go looking for a new TV, don't rule out the curved screen TV's. Go to a store that has a good sized amount of TV's so you can really make a good comparison
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 02-06-2017 at 11:40 AM. Reason: ===

User Info Menu

Bad day for 2 QB's yesterday. They both suffered broken legs! RAIDERS are toast without Derek...

the other was Mariota from Tennessee
    Last edited by slinky; 12-25-2016 at 02:17 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Bad day for 2 QB's yesterday. They both suffered broken legs! RAIDERS are toast without Derek...

the other was Mariota from Tennessee
    While I am never happy when a player gets hurt, Carr going out makes it easier for the Chiefs to win the division. With a Raiders loss to Denver and A Chiefs win over the Chargers the two teams will swap seeds in the playoffs giving the Chiefs the Division win, the #2 seed and a week off.

All that said I'll be fine if the Chiefs remain a wildcard team and beat Houston then come up here to New England to play the boy wonder.

Sunday night we've got a great game for all the marbles between the Lions and the Packers, Go Lions!!! Playoff time is my favorite time of year.

User Info Menu

I couldn't believe he broke it. It looked like such a routine tackle. If the Raiders get knocked out I will be rooting for the Chiefs.

NFL Films had him mic'd up that game.

Last edited by slinky; 12-30-2016 at 06:35 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

If you had been watching a curved screen, you'd have clearly been able to see that it was a Fx fib.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    If you had been watching a curved screen, you'd have clearly been able to see that it was a Fx fib.

You would also be able to tell if he had a wedgie.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    You would also be able to tell if he had a wedgie.
    lol did anybody watch the Orange Bowl last night? that was nuts
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Curving a TV screen is not a "technical leap" in my opinion. It's a gimmick to make people think they need a new TV. If anything it should be curved the other way to improve side angle viewing rather than diminishing it.

User Info Menu

A few weeks back, I got a 65" LG 4K OLED TV. Flat screen, as they don't make a curved OLED TV. I'd never seen one in real life, and just got it based on reviews. The 2017 version is supposed to be 25% brighter than the 2016 version. All I know is that this TV has THE most spectacular picture I have ever seen. You can view this thing at an angle with NO loss of brightness and clarity, so, for this kind anyway, no curve needed. I'm already spoiled...can't watch anything that is not AT LEAST HD, preferably 4K. Amazing!!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I definitely want a 4K TV with HDR, but not a curved one. To me they were reaching a little too far, trying a little too hard, to come up with a reason to make people believe they needed "the latest innovation".

User Info Menu

I will stick to my old Plasma TV which I bought in 2005 for back then was a lot of money and top of the line. Will see what is available when I am ready to replace this one.