Thread: Ouch!!!!

User Info Menu

Default Ouch!!!!

Last edited by inthpktplayer; 12-13-2016 at 11:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ouch!!!!

Yea that was nasty, then again, the rules in this situation are really dumb. you can hit anyone on the field but him and it's ok. You can hit him once he touches the ball and it's ok (if no fair catch signal is made). but you can't hit him before the ball gets to him even without a fair catch signal being made.

There are three reasons why a sport has rules. They can be establishing rules (e.g. crossing the goal line is a touchdown), game integrity rules (you can't go out of bounds and come back in) or player safety. I mean, if we are talking about player safety, then it is completely irrelevant if the ball is there or not. You could argue this is a game integrity rule, but i think given how bad football is for you, I think for this they need to make something like the infield fly rule or automatic fair catch.

User Info Menu

My favorite hit.

You have to click on u-tube at the bottom and it will take you there.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 12-13-2016 at 05:17 AM. Reason: ---

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    Yea that was nasty, then again, the rules in this situation are really dumb. you can hit anyone on the field but him and it's ok. You can hit him once he touches the ball and it's ok (if no fair catch signal is made). but you can't hit him before the ball gets to him even without a fair catch signal being made.

There are three reasons why a sport has rules. They can be establishing rules (e.g. crossing the goal line is a touchdown), game integrity rules (you can't go out of bounds and come back in) or player safety. I mean, if we are talking about player safety, then it is completely irrelevant if the ball is there or not. You could argue this is a game integrity rule, but i think given how bad football is for you, I think for this they need to make something like the infield fly rule or automatic fair catch.
    The problem is that you've got people saying that it was a malicious/cheap shot. I disagree. Sproles did not motion for a fair catch, making him a live target. Only mistake was that the tackler mis-timed his hit. It was a good football play, just not executed correctly. I'm tired of folks trying to turn football into a non-contact sport. The way the rules are evolving, how about we just put flags around their waists and call it what it is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    The problem is that you've got people saying that it was a malicious/cheap shot. I disagree. Sproles did not motion for a fair catch, making him a live target. Only mistake was that the tackler mis-timed his hit. It was a good football play, just not executed correctly. I'm tired of folks trying to turn football into a non-contact sport. The way the rules are evolving, how about we just put flags around their waists and call it what it is.

That's why i stopped watching hockey.. used to be a hockey nut now i haven't watched a single game in like 3 years.. Just making sure everything has a nice soft edge and no one gets hurts..

User Info Menu

When I played back in college these hits were legal. I played defense (strong safety/middle linebacker) and we practice the timing just right drop your shoulder and apply the hit. The worst hit I experienced was on a punt return and I took a helmet to the right kidney running the ball. Back then there was no padding around your midsection I remember hitting the ground and couldn't breathe. I thought the hit was illegal it was called" spearing " helmet to the back. Being he hit me on the right side no penalty.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    So then it is a game integrity rule...IDK guys, all these former players going crazy 20 years later for our entertainment...well, at least they've stopped call pass interference on any incompletion...

User Info Menu

NFL - No Fun League ... that's what it is now, almost every play watch this Sunday.When the QB airs it out long ball or in the slot, the receiver drops the ball or don't catch it he is turning around looking for a flag. Every play can't be pass interference just play ball.

I understand player safety and long term effects I get it, but also the majority of these guys been playing football since 5 or 6 years old full contact. They know the risks of the sport just like auto racing one bad accident it's over, ( to many to name) boxing Ali couldn't talk no more because of brain damage. I'm sure they knew the risk and a high probability that they could get seriously hurt or die.
    Last edited by Goro; 12-14-2016 at 11:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Got fined $48,000. I think that's BS.