Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking at the Ludwig breakbeat.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking at the Ludwig breakbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I'm a dedicated minimalist and small drum guy, but I don't really get the 16 bass thing. An 18 is only 2 inches larger in diameter, takes up no more space ( see the gap between the top of bass and the bottom of the rack tom in the breakbeat picture above), but gives a fuller bass sound. My Gretsch boppy set up takes up not a cubic inch more space than the above drums. They tune up easily and sound like real drums. My sizes are 18, 14 floor, 10 or 12 up tom, with 14 Ludwig Supra.

all the best...
    I cannot agree more!

I'm also very much a minimalist and here's my thoughts:

-The Ludwig Breakbeats are, at first glance, not that different from Yamaha Hipgig kits or Sonor Safaris. Rarer but related are the Taye GoKits.

-I personally do not find the drums in the video above to sound... desirable. We all have our opinions.

-There's 3-4 things that get constant play- hihats, snare, bass, and ride. I try not to mess with them too much.

-I play a Whitney kit, which I think manages to achieve what these smaller kits are trying to accomplish with the greatest success.

First, the bass drum is 18". However, it sounds closer to a 20" because the shells are like inside-out Peavy Radials- the tension rods go directly into a wooden collar inside the shell. Further, there aren't any lugs or spurs, so all that metal is thrown out the window. The shell resonates freely. The kick is also mounted to a stand which has two pieces of rack pipe which serve as your typical ride and crash cymbal stands. On my kit I use it to mount everything but the hihats.

I'm still messing with things trying to trim down the hardware. One serious advantage the Whitney has over the Breakbeats besides sound is transport- the toms nest inside the bass drum without having to undo each of the drumheads. The Breakbeats do not appear to do this, so unless you're willing to beat them up, they're going to need to be bagged separately.

I waited over 10 years to find a used Whitney kit to purchase and frankly I'm more satisfied with them than I was with my Ludwig Classic Maple or Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Kits- I wish I just bought these to begin with.

Outside of buying a new kit, what are you bringing to small gigs now? There must be some way to streamline what you're already using.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Seriously digging those Whitney's. Never have seen a set in person. Doubt I ever will around here.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Earlier this year, I was able to purchase just a standalone 13" Breakbeats FT.

It is suiting my musical purposes quite well, but I suspect that my situation is a little different than most of yours.

(I put a Fiberskyn head onto it, sounds good with brushes. While I had the head and rim off, I drilled holes in the upper part of shell, and installed a spare leg-clamp, which I use to support auxiliary percussion rod.)
    Last edited by JoePasko; 01-06-2017 at 04:54 AM.