Thread: have you ever seen this?

User Info Menu

Default have you ever seen this?

Some guy is selling all of his cymbals, and you have to buy ALL OF THEM!

They are all Ks, 13" hats, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ride 20``,21``,22``,china 16``
    for about 6,000USD which over here is about 5months' average salary.

It kinda feelings like he stole someone's cymbal bag...I mean i get wanting to get it all over and done with at once, but still, that's a lot to ask. and of course the ad only has one pic, which isn't even a very good one. BTW this also seems like the price is as if they are new, and I have written him asking why all at once and that the price is not much different from new (about 500USD per cymbal).

you might be able to see it here if you combine some spaces:
    hudebnibazar.cz /cinely-zildjian-k/ID78933

So have any of you encountered this before? I seriously think either dude suddenly owes a lot of money or this is really a case of theft. Opinions?

User Info Menu

Default Re: have you ever seen this?

sounds like someone nabbed a cymbal bag and just looked up the prices online for new ones.

no drummer in their right mind would A. need all of those at once, B. like every one in the pack, C. make enough money from gigging to afford them.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Sometimes a person passes away leaving his surviving family members to dispose of his personal stuff . A lot of times the people in charge have no idea what to do or how to sell the stuff .
    It's getting harder to sell stolen stuff out here on Craigslist or Ebay . Most drummers will quickly post pictures of their stolen stuff on Facebook and it gets shared and the Police and all the Pawn shops are aware . I've seen this a few times and the stuff gets returned in short order .
    I'm thinking this might be an estate sale by someone who has no clue of it's real value .

User Info Menu

I see things like that on CL occasionally. Some guy wanting to sell his entire setup as a package and not piece it out. Usually it's a pickup load of cheap, beat up Exports and B8's. They always list what they cost them new and ask 20% less....proclaiming it to be an awesome deal. Those people don't live in the real world.

Anyone that can spend $6K in one shot for drums/cymbals is probably NOT going to be shopping on CL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

You lost me at $6,000 being the avg for 5 month's salary.

User Info Menu

short update, the guy wrote me back saying they are new and i should consider that in the pricing. I sent him a link to my drum store here in prague (his price is 20% higher than theirs) and said that according to the one pic he has, they aren't new...

This is a bit the Czech mentality here, which is to screw over people, because as they said during communism, "You are always stealing, because if you aren't stealing from the state, you are stealing from your family". Americans might not vote the right way, but at least we know about buying and selling drums! (sorry, I couldn't resist)

So it seems this guy is a drummer...but i posted something on the facebook used music equipment if anyone isn\t missing their equipment, but even here people tend to post this stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    You lost me at $6,000 being the avg for 5 month's salary.
    .5L of the best beer in the world is also 1.20

And we have free health care...and we don't have violent crime...and we have 5 weeks holiday (annual productivity is the same as the US)...and we have hot women...and...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

This is common on Craigslist. Selling a huge drum set with a bunch of cymbals, rack, mics, etc for $5000 or something. Sometimes the prices are reasonable but the fact is that almost no one is going to want your exact setup...unless the price really is worth it (sell off the parts you don't need.)
    I have seen this with cymbals too. You'd think they'd be willing to sell the cymbals separately if they needed the money bad enough, but nope.

User Info Menu

Then sometimes you got the other side of the coin where you've priced the stuff cheaply just to move it out and yet they EXPECT you to go even LOWER !
    I had put up a Mapex Raptor direct drive double pedal in slightly used condition with the bag and all the accessories for $100 . I got nothing so I dropped it to $80 . Well then I get all these messages offering me $60 . When I said I was holding out for the eighty they tore into me telling me that it was Craigslist and that I had to be willing to haggle and come down on the price ! Well I held out and I got the full price .

User Info Menu

If they were stolen, I can't imagine how sad that guy is.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

like with anything, it should be a reasonable price...sometimes I see people here keep prices high because something was recorded in a studio, and I get selling cymbal packs, but yea, who will buy ALL of your stuff?

Surprisingly, I haven't received any response to my second email to the seller

And because this world is full of jerks, the response to my posting if anyone has lost their cymbals has led to two posts making fun of my czech...ok off to imagine their faces and practice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Then sometimes you got the other side of the coin where you've priced the stuff cheaply just to move it out and yet they EXPECT you to go even LOWER !
    Yeah, I hear you ... this has happened to me also.

Seems like I'll first get that initial barrage of requests asking if I'll sell it for pennies on the dollar then ... silence. I'm thinking that the first wave is trolls looking to play around with you and/or resellers looking to flip the gear.

I have learned to be patient and hold out for those musicians who really want the gear, are willing to purchase it for a reasonable price, and plan to use it ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 12-23-2016 at 11:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    .5L of the best beer in the world is also 1.20

And we have free health care...and we don't have violent crime...and we have 5 weeks holiday (annual productivity is the same as the US)...and we have hot women...and...
    With all due respect, nothing in life is free my friend. BTW, I am digging your beer pricing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    This happens to me all the time. I sell a ton of gear on Craigslist constantly. I had a set of hats for sale on there for $120, new they are around $300 and some guy asked if I'd take $30. LOL! Now when I get emails like that I don't even respond. The people are obviously not serious buyers.

User Info Menu

The fact that they are perfectly sequential sizes is strange.

In my area I do notice full kits up for sale- shells, hardware, and cymbals. One was a daughter selling her recently passed father's inventory, but she was willing to divvy up the lot.

If it were me I'd be very suspect of the seller.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

@pocket, sure nothing's free, but somethings are more free than others...last night i was drinking perhaps the only drinkable IPA ever at the brewery across the street (yup), the expensive stuff, for 2.10

UPDATE: So the guy lowered his price by 2,000 USD, because that was the price he had intended to put all along he wrote me also, he priced out each individually to me, so looks like this is simply the case of temporary rectal-cranial inversion...
    Last edited by jgziegler; 12-24-2016 at 02:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    The fact that they are perfectly sequential sizes is strange.

In my area I do notice full kits up for sale- shells, hardware, and cymbals. One was a daughter selling her recently passed father's inventory, but she was willing to divvy up the lot.

If it were me I'd be very suspect of the seller.
    I've had a look at his user profile, he's selling another 30 or so cymbals (all for 10% discount off used) plus a 10 piece (double bass) pearl export kit for about 1700USD. He's selling basically my hats, but 12s instead of 14s for 30USD more than I bought mine used. He's written in one of the ads he is will to trade, so it seems he wants to sell his toys. I wouldn't be surprised if his wife yelled at him for having so much gear

Anyway, if you are curious here's a link, it's rather entertaining that he thinks used means 10-15% off.

http://hudebnibazar.cz /uzivatel/detail/?ID=18924

Quick guide: pův.cena means original price, and there are 25kc to 1 USD

User Info Menu

"So looks like this is simply the case of temporary rectal-cranial inversion".

How far up did his head go?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    "So looks like this is simply the case of temporary rectal-cranial inversion".

How far up did his head go?
    Pretty far considering he tried to say that the original price was some kinda of mistake not his own...but he managed to rectify the situation slightly

User Info Menu

If he was smart he'd be able to sell them all easier individually.. he just doesn't want the hassle probably.