Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me decide on a 16" Sabian crash

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help me decide on a 16" Sabian crash

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    A few fingerprints as they were the last ones on the rack. Bought some sabian cymbal cleaner too.

Excellent!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    It might be.
    Or it might be where I most want it.
    It might even be a 16".
    Cymbals have no rules; that's why they are so cool.

Growing up in the '50's and '60's, most drummers, even the pros, seldom had more than 4 cymbals, not counting the hats and a splash.

Going by what I saw back in the day, most, certainly not all, had a ride over the BD and 1 crash over, or close to over the ride, and a 2nd crash on the left side not quite over the hats. It's not the rule, but it was what I saw most drummers playing.

As for cymbal size. I had the good fortune back in the mid '70's of getting to know Buddy a little bit at his clubs. When he had time, we would talk about cars, being in the service, and martial arts, rarely about drums.

If drums did come up, and if the conversation went to cymbals, he said that 18" was the optimum size for a crash. Belson said the same thing, and so did Mel Lewis, even though he played a smaller set and would, on occasion use a 16" or 17" crash.

Now, in this age of having 25 cymbals, who knows what the hell sizes they use. The same goes for the amount of drums I've seen in some sets and I'm not even counting Bozzio.

So, yes, you can put rides and crashes anywhere you want with whatever sizes you want because there are no rules, but there is practicality.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I have a 16" Zildjian thin crash that's been a great cymbal for over 20 years which is still awesome.
    I have one of these also, one of the few things that I still have from my first pro-level kit purchased in '77.

Sweet sounding cymbal for sure ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I just got my new pies! Pics to come. 16" AAX recording crash and 18" AAX Xplosion crash. They sound just beautiful together.
    Nice! I have the 18" Xplosion crash and it's a fantastic cymbal ...

User Info Menu

I have a 18" Alejian crash that I bought used in Emporia, Va in 1966 for $10, it sounded great then and it sounds great now.

User Info Menu

Great choice Mike! I had a AAX 16" studio crash and it was one of my favorites!