Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide on a 16" Sabian crash

User Info Menu

Default Help me decide on a 16" Sabian crash

I'm looking at spending up to around $220 CAD for a crash above the hats. I play all types of rock. Prog, classic rock, anything like that. I was looking at maybe the AA raw bell crash. Maybe an aax xplosion. The only thing I want it to go well with right now is my HH rbdr. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 12-26-2016 at 01:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help me decide on a 16" Sabian crash

My main crash has always been an 18". So I'm thinking you should look at a larger crash. The 16" is kind of small, but that's a personal preference. I've seen a few drummers with very small cymbals, and that's ok. If at all possible go to stores and try a few different crashes, and see what you like.

User Info Menu

+1 with lefty, 16" is a bit small for a main crash, especially in the rock genre...on top of which, your ride doesn't seem very crashable. I imagine you have other cymbals, so what else do you have in the arsenal?

But based on the two options you mentioned and your requirements, I'd take the AA. It's got a bit more universal sound, and from what I hear, the Xplosion has a nice initial crash, but then starts to sound kinda icky.
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    +1 with lefty, 16" is a bit small for a main crash, especially in the rock genre...on top of which, your ride doesn't seem very crashable. I imagine you have other cymbals, so what else do you have in the arsenal?

But based on the two options you mentioned and your requirements, I'd take the AA. It's got a bit more universal sound, and from what I hear, the Xplosion has a nice initial crash, but then starts to sound kinda icky.
    This cymbal is going to replace a b8 crash. Other than that I have Wuhan 8 and 10 splashes, 16 china, and b8 hihats. A huge difference from my ride. So I'm replacing them all slowly.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I've always felt that anything bigger than a 18" crash is a waste of money.

Now that my drums are never going to be moved again, I've added drums and cymbals.

They run from 16" on my far left, 17", (4) 18's, all different, and a 20" ride with 14" hats. My 10" splash is Paiste.

I would never use a 16" as a main crash.

User Info Menu

When you guys say main crash, are you talking about above the hats or the one to the right above the ride? Anyway, I'm looking for one above the hats.
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 12-25-2016 at 11:25 PM.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Your main crash is above the ride.

If that crash is 18", I wouldn't have a 16" on the other side. A 17" if I absolutely had to, but I would prefer a 18".

User Info Menu

".
    Is it? I play a 4 piece, i put my 2nd crash above my ride, but maybe im wrong. what's the advantage?
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride

User Info Menu

@fly, would this be possible?

Buy an 18", if you need to sell something, decide between the china or crash...in the end, it comes down to how much you like the sound.

User Info Menu

usually 16 and 18. Never heard of a main crash before

all the best...

User Info Menu

Is it? I play a 4 piece, i put my 2nd crash above my ride, but maybe im wrong. what's the advantage?

There is no real advantage past the point that, if you are a right handed drummer and your ride is on the right side of the BD, I would guess that the crash over the ride is the 1 you use more often.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    usually 16 and 18. Never heard of a main crash before

all the best...

kay-gee, there is always 1 crash cymbal that gets hit more often. That is the main crash.

User Info Menu

I have a friend using an AAX 17" Studio Crash as his only crash and it works fine. 16" cymbals will generally have a higher pitch than an 18", but not always. You should definitely go try some out if you can.

User Info Menu

@fly, would this be possible?

Buy an 18", if you need to sell something, decide between the china or crash...in the end, it comes down to how much you like the sound.
    Thanks for the suggestion. An 18" is a little big for me above the hi hats. I'm going to L&M tomorrow. I'll spend a couple hours there trying all the cymbals.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    I have a friend using an AAX 17" Studio Crash as his only crash and it works fine. 16" cymbals will generally have a higher pitch than an 18", but not always. You should definitely go try some out if you can.
    I was looking at studio crashes but I don't play in a studio. They're a little lighter and they blend well with the music in the studio. I'm liking the AA medium thin crash right now.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Wow. The 16" AAX recording crash is on for $109 at L&M this week. Will definitely be trying that out. I might have to come home with an 18" too!
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 12-26-2016 at 12:25 PM.

-Mike

User Info Menu

The Studio crashes do have a bit of volume despite their name. Obviously not as loud as some others, but they're not quiet either, and also not overly thin. At least not the ones I've played (16" and 17".)
    No experience with the AA Raw Bell or Medium-thin, but I did play a 16" AAXPlosion and it sounded good.

User Info Menu

There is no real advantage past the point that, if you are a right handed drummer and your ride is on the right side of the BD, I would guess that the crash over the ride is the 1 you use more often.
    this is has been helpful for me, i guess cause i like to do some small crashes from the HH I prefer mine in that position, and also cause i will just crash my ride, also, I think it forces me to hit other crashes than just mine beloved A so if I'm at the ride end of the kit, I will hit something else.

Never really thought too much about this, and I always like to reevaluate my valuations, or as my buddy nietzsche said, "Not to question, not to tremble with the joy and craving of questioning...that is what I find to be contemptible"
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Wow. The 16" AAX recording crash is on for $109 at L&M this week. Will definitely be trying that out. I might have to come home with an 18" too!
    Good choice! I have the exact same cymbal over my hat's and is great. And for that price!! I paid $180 for mine at Ash and I play rock as well. My other band the house kit has AA 17" fast crash over the ride and sounds good also.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Goro View Post
    Good choice! I have the exact same cymbal over my hat's and is great. And for that price!! I paid $180 for mine at Ash and I play rock as well. My other band the house kit has AA 17" fast crash over the ride and sounds good also.
    Good to hear someone has experience with it. What other crash do you use with it?

-Mike

User Info Menu

I have a 16" Zildjian thin crash that's been a great cymbal for over 20 years which is still awesome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Good to hear someone has experience with it. What other crash do you use with it?
    I have a 16" A medium over the ride. I want to upgrade to 18"s as well and when I do probably AAXs.

User Info Menu

I just got my new pies! Pics to come. 16" AAX recording crash and 18" AAX Xplosion crash. They sound just beautiful together.
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 12-27-2016 at 01:28 PM.

-Mike

User Info Menu

A few fingerprints as they were the last ones on the rack. Bought some sabian cymbal cleaner too.

-Mike

User Info Menu

It might be.
    Or it might be where I most want it.
    It might even be a 16".
    Cymbals have no rules; that's why they are so cool.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)