Thread: Kidz drum sets?

User Info Menu

Default Kidz drum sets?

Had a great Christmas eve, and while visiting my grand kids my Grand daughter (6) who was doing a lot of entertaining with singing songs and dancing all day tells me she plays beats and would I like to hear them? I am pleasantly surprised and excited, I follow her to her bedroom and she flips a little toy suitcase upside down and puts a cardboard box next to it and starts tapping away.

It all about brought a tear to my eye and after playing along with her I said I know what I am getting you for your birthday. ( End of January )

So now I am looking at kids drum sets and while I do not want to spend a fortune I also want her to enjoy it and possibly stick with it but I do realize she may not.

Do you guys have any experience with buying these little kits? I am looking at the spl on GC for cheap money and seems to come with everything to get started but then I am thinking what about trying a small little e-kit? Parents may let her play longer and she may enjoy them a little more.. thinking about $300 tops.

Also was going to look around for someone that gives lessons to little kids but not sure about that yet. I have to talk to my son and daughter in-law to see how they feel about that.

Any tips, lessons learned, and or suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Kidz drum sets?

I went through the same thing with my ten year old grand nephew Josh . I would say get her an acoustic drum set . I too went and looked at the same drums you mentioned at GC . Josh is small for his age so these kits were perfect for him . But I decided to give him my 72 Ludwigs instead . He has adapted them to his playing where he uses the kick ,snare and floor tom with the 12 on a chair to his left . They are much too tall for him set up on the tom mount on the kick .
    When given the choice between these and the Yamaha electronic kit he went for the Ludwig's hands down ! For kids there is something about that acoustic sound . The fact that you don't have to plug in and they love making noise . And as they mature they start to take things more serious about their playing .
    My vote would be to get her an acoustic kit . It's amazing to me that she put her own kit together from things she found around the house . That alone would have brought tears to my eyes too .

User Info Menu

My Daughter was going to buy one of those toy kits for my grandson a couple of years ago, and asked for my advice---I gave him real drums instead

User Info Menu

If you live near a sam ash, get their groove percussion brand 5pc kids set, i think its like $230? It's better than the ludwig one @ $300. Reason being the hardware is better.. the hi hat stand is a chain rather than the flimsy thing ludwig uses... also the kick pedal is chain driven instead of strap. I've seen COUNTLESS ludwig pedals/stands come back because that strap has broken on the kick and hi hat stand.
    Last edited by SpatzST; 12-26-2016 at 10:58 AM.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    If you live near a sam ash, get their groove percussion brand 5pc kids set, i think its like $230?
    This for sure!
    But it's like $299..including cymbals and hardware
    I saw a 4pc. for $220

being she's only 6, maybe just look for a used first act kit or something first
    Last edited by Olimpass; 12-27-2016 at 09:07 PM.

User Info Menu

I have one of the Ludwig Jr. sets and it's great.
    I actually play it myself now!

I'm looking into the PDP for my daughter.

User Info Menu

Ludwig makes a Questlove "pocket kit" now, designed for kids. Comes with everything. $249 with free shipping.
    I'm not a fan of black hardware, but it looks OK with silver sparkle.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 12-27-2016 at 01:47 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    She's like 4 months old, right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I have one of the Ludwig Jr. sets and it's great.
    I actually play it myself now!

I'd like to see some pics of those ludwigs! Just for messing around or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Check C-List under "Free"

Saw a posted "curb alert" where someone tossed a kit.

Last edited by Olimpass; 12-27-2016 at 09:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    She's like 4 months old, right?
    She's 6 months now... and she held her first drum stick the other day. She'll be ready in no time flat! hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I'd like to see some pics of those ludwigs! Just for messing around or what?
    Honestly.. and this is hilarious. I teach on it. I play on it myself at my music studio

User Info Menu

Brand names are completely lost on young children IMO. Likely just as excited to play the Wal Mart ones as a Ludwig one. Let them beat the crap out of that and then decide from there if it passing fancy or serious thing. No $$ lost. Why buy some big brand drums and then wind up up selling them for a fraction when and if interest wanes?

all the best...