Thread: Marching Snare Heads

User Info Menu

Question Marching Snare Heads

I've been checking out alot of Evans heads to replace my Remo Weatherking on my snare and came across marching heads. This may be a dumb question, but could I get a good focused sound out of a marching snare batter and snare side head?
    I figure it could all be thrown off since marching snares have very different sizes from a set, but it never hurts to ask lol
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    I've been checking out alot of Evans heads to replace my Remo Weatherking on my snare and came across marching heads. This may be a dumb question, but could I get a good focused sound out of a marching snare batter and snare side head?
    I figure it could all be thrown off since marching snares have very different sizes from a set, but it never hurts to ask lol
    I think that you can find better alternatives other than marching snare heads to achieve the sound you are looking for. I have little experience with marching heads other than what I have read about them. I think they are much to thick and would choke the drum unneccesarily. There are other heads available like the Aquarian Studio X head that really dries a drum out or focuses it without choking it. I think that would probably serve you better IMHO

User Info Menu

After further researching into it, I'd have to agree. I knew there was some difference in the sickness, just not the extent lol.

User Info Menu

also
    in tryint to use that head you might warp your snare
    they are called high tension heads for a reason
    they are made out of aramid fiber
    and while they almost never wear out
    they are tuned about as tight as a table hahaha
    i agree
    there are other heads out there that will help you out

can you describe your sound a little further?

User Info Menu

Well the sound that I try to achieve from a birch 5"x14" shell is a warm, mildly ringy, focused tone with multiple dynamic possibilities, almost what you would get out of a brass snare or whatever. I know it's impossible to completely make one thing sound like another, but I'm short on cash so I have to work with hardware. I'm pretty partial to Evans products... I was considering the Hydraulic snare head to go with my Hydraulic tom batters, but I don't know if that's the sound I want from it. I think that I may be going with the HD Genera Dry with a Glass 500 snare side.

User Info Menu

Any of those heads your are mentioning well be pretty dry. (no Ring at all)They are pretty focused. I think the Evans dry will sound okay though. The dry head does just what it is advertised to do, dry a snare out which I take to mean no overtones. (ring) I would nix the idea of a hydraulic on your snare, I don't think that you would be happy at all with it. I think that it is just to dead and your snare will choke and sound similar to the marching head discussed earlier.

User Info Menu

i know your an evans guy
    but i know exactly the sounds your going for
    its my sound as well
    however i use a remo coated emperor and a remo ambassador snare side
    if you want a little more focused then go with the ambassador batter
    (i was really against remo at the start.......but i bought one head and i have been slowly changing all my heads over to remo hahaha)
    dont rule it out man

User Info Menu

Remo rules!!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Any of those heads your are mentioning well be pretty dry. (no Ring at all)They are pretty focused. I think the Evans dry will sound okay though. The dry head does just what it is advertised to do, dry a snare out which I take to mean no overtones. (ring) I would nix the idea of a hydraulic on your snare, I don't think that you would be happy at all with it. I think that it is just to dead and your snare will choke and sound similar to the marching head discussed earlier.
    Yea, I ruled out the Hydraulic snare after seeing videos of it in use. Sounds more like a practice mute than an actual batter. Do you think the HD Genera will leave somewhat of a ring at all? I like the dry sound, but I also like that hint of overtone. I tune my snare from near completely to completely tight with the batter and change around the snare side depending on what I'm playing.

User Info Menu

Although I am not overly familiar with Evans heads, I know that head is coated thin 2 ply head with a control ring around the parimeter. My thoughts are that it will be similar to the aquarian studioX that I am familiar with. When i strike it in the middle it is controlled and dry, when I strike it off center there is mild to moderate ring. my suspicions are that the HD Genera would do the same because they are similar in design.

User Info Menu

So it's basically just like the dots on Remo snare heads? The Remo Weatherking that I own has a power dot in the center and is very open and throaty, but still remains with little overtone. Then off the center the sound becomes very ringy and washy.

User Info Menu

you might like the evans st genera
    the thing is a beast
    and yes it has ring =]

User Info Menu

32nd throwing a marching head on your concert snare is not a good idea at all, those heads are engineered for A LOT of tension and so they dont split the put A LOT of pressure and eggsert it all on the shell, plus if you tune it to much, your head wont get tighter sometimes, youll just keep tightening and suddenly your shell collapses