Thread: Stripped screws on snare throw off

User Info Menu

Default Stripped screws on snare throw off

This has happened to me twice now and I'm about to throw my snare out the window. The screws that hold the snare cord or plastic strips keep stripping on mine. When I unscrewed it to change the snares, it became really hard to turn the screw. Wouldn't go in, wouldn't go out. then I bought a Gibraltar throw off and guess what? Same thing. So now I need another throw off. Very frustrating!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Stripped screws on snare throw off

Take the throw off and butt plate to a Home Depot and find a small nut and bolt that will fit and still have clearance. You will be able to tighten it more without stripping anything.

I've also found that cord is better than plastic strips.

User Info Menu

Surprised that happened on a Gibraltar throw off. Pretty sure they're the same ones Gretsch uses. I guess I would drill the holes out and re-tap them if there's enough material there.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Amen to that !

I have always thought that the screws used for throws are too weenie..........too fragile.
    Need to be a bit beefier...............
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Amen to that !

I have always thought that the screws used for throws are too weenie..........too fragile.
    Need to be a bit beefier...............
    I've tried snare cord but for some reason it seems like the snares don't touch the bottom of the head. Even at full tension. I'll try it again though when I fix the throw off.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I've tried snare cord but for some reason it seems like the snares don't touch the bottom of the head. Even at full tension. I'll try it again though when I fix the throw off.
    You have to buy the snare wires that are channeled so it lays flatter.

User Info Menu

Take the throw off and butt plate to a Home Depot and find a small nut and bolt that will fit and still have clearance. You will be able to tighten it more without stripping anything.

I had some bolts laying around in the garage and it worked perfectly. I had to drill the holes a tiny bit so the new bolts would slide in.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I have been running my straps and strings up and over the throw off clamp and down through. It takes a little more manouevering, but gives it a little more grip because the straps are not being pulled straight down.

Like this:
    Last edited by signia fan; 12-28-2016 at 04:49 PM.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    You have to buy the snare wires that are channeled so it lays flatter.
    +1

Also, if you convert over to cord, consider using the Ludwig P4078A snare cord. It's the orange stuff ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 12-28-2016 at 06:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    I have been running my straps and strings up and over the throw off clamp and down through. It takes a little more manouevering, but gives it a little more grip because the straps are not being pulled straight down.

Like this:
    That is just plain clever. I'm borrowing this idea.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Not to hijack this but along the same lines...the cheap Sonor throws(since re-designed!) are of plastic and metal with recessed nuts for the tightening bolts which, when loosened in frustration, fall out and you wind up practically rebuilding the throw!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I had some bolts laying around in the garage and it worked perfectly. I had to drill the holes a tiny bit so the new bolts would slide in.

My bill is in the mail.

User Info Menu

Do the pure sound quick release. Never worry again.

User Info Menu

That sounds like a great idea Zack.

User Info Menu

What Spaz said. The Puresound is a great product. The strap is nylon and grips better.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

I use grosgaine ribbon available in different color rolls from fabric stores on my gigging snares. Same thing as the Puresound straps but cheaper and available locally in many colors ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 12-30-2016 at 10:48 PM.

User Info Menu

So the Gibraltar wires I'm using are channeled so I tried the snare cord instead of the plastic strips. Way better. Signia fan, I used your method to attaching the cord and it works great.

With the strips, you have to worry about getting them perfectly straight so there's even tension, but with the cord, the snares will align perfectly when you switch the throw off on.

-Mike

User Info Menu

yeah i also swapped out most all my snares that came with the crap plastic for chord...

User Info Menu

P85 + 40 years = no issue...ever!

all the best...