Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: List the Drum Provisions/Marketing You Don't Like

User Info Menu

Default Re: List the Drum Provisions/Marketing You Don't Like

The only thing I've come across in my 40+ years messing around with drums that I don't really care for are electronic drum kits. I consider them more of a toy the a drum set.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    Here's one we've forgotten to add: entry level kits that come with these pieces of metal they call cymbals...they should be called "Meg Whites"
    oh man for sure... parents are suckers

User Info Menu

If Bonham did it, it's good and anything different is unnecessary and stupid.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    That's it! You have the all knowing divine knowledge of drumming!

John Bonham has been one of the strongest marketing tools ever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post

I don't think I would go that far, and what exactly did Bonham do?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    That's it! You have the all knowing divine knowledge of drumming!

John Bonham has been one of the strongest marketing tools ever.

Who has this all knowing divine knowledge of drumming?

I can't argue the fact that Bonham's name is a strong marketing tool. I see it on e-bay all the time. Someone selling a set of drums and saying " a Bonham style set", like that makes all the difference in the world.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I don't think I would go that far, and what exactly did Bonham do?
    Yeah, that's my point - that attitude irritates me.

User Info Menu

Who has this all knowing divine knowledge of drumming?

I can't argue the fact that Bonham's name is a strong marketing tool. I see it on e-bay all the time. Someone selling a set of drums and saying " a Bonham style set", like that makes all the difference in the world.
    Hi Rick, I was quoting G-man's post. Because this is about marketing you don't like, he was just I believe saying he doesn't like the fact when people use or say that.
    My post was sarcastic (mr green smiley) but stated about the strong Bonham marketing.

User Info Menu

drum shop sales people (some not all)
    Last edited by slinky; 12-29-2016 at 09:01 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Hi Rick, I was quoting G-man's post. Because this is about marketing you don't like, he was just I believe saying he doesn't like the fact when people use or say that.
    My post was sarcastic (mr green smiley) but stated about the strong Bonham marketing.

Olimpass, I really haven't paid attention to the marketing of drums in over 20 years.

I hear (read) about new things in the drumming world here on DC. I sold off 4 sets of drums when I retired and kept the 1's I have now because when I bought them around '71-'72, they were the top of the line because that's all they sold.

Now it seems that they take a set of drums that might be worth $1,200, slap some famous drummers name of them and sell them for $2,000.

2-3K for a snare drum is beyond the pale.

User Info Menu

2-3K for a snare drum is beyond the pale.
    Exactly
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

What really grinds my gears:

Sabian big and ugly cymbals.

The newest and greatest suspension mounts just to be paired with paired with coated two ply heads and moon gel.

Snare drums that cost more than a good shell pack.

Cheap hand drums. They just don't sound good.

Roland octopads.

Cymbal companies releasing new lines of mid level cymbals.

User Info Menu

@gman and the reactions.

My point was that a guy who smashed the hell out of his drums, John Bohnam, did not need double braced hardware. So why today do we need it? If anything, my point is about how the companies make us pay more for something we don't need, adding extra weight and cost. Go look at what hardware is for sale today, and how much of it is single braced. Look at your own set up, how many of your stands really need all of that stability?

Maybe instead of reacting, you should first actually READ what is written. Nothing in what I said has anything to do with marketing. NOTHING. Oh, and for that matter, here is a list of over amazing drummers who also didn't use double braced things: Mitch mitchell, buddy rich, ginger baker, gene krupa, kieth moon, tony williams....I use bohnam because he himself admitted to being a smasher.

Ekits are better practice tools than real kits, as they can measure your accuracy. I practice in my bedroom and I live in an apartment, there is no way I could play on a real kit. And you can do some interesting things with an Ekit, just not as interesting as real kits

User Info Menu

we can all dislike what we want but wouldn't it be boring if innovation stopped 40 years ago?

kick pads that don't stay on. I'm starting to wonder if some kind of time release glue is being used.

although I haven't had that problem lately. Buy Remo I guess .
    Last edited by slinky; 12-30-2016 at 05:21 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I hear (read) about new things in the drumming world here on DC. I sold off 4 sets of drums when I retired and kept the 1's I have now because when I bought them around '71-'72, they were the top of the line because that's all they sold.
    I also owned some '72 Ludwig 3-ply shells................and yes, they were top of the line because that's all they sold.
    The current Legacy line is (arguably) top of the line and still the 3-ply shell..............that hasn't changed.

But like everybody else these days, there are many other "levels" of shell provision offered.............that part has changed.
    The marketing, the claims of superiority, and all the other BS gets really old.

Your drums -- after 44 years -- are just as good as anything out there today.
    Yes.............there are others that are also excellent and might be preferred by drummers for some detailed, specific reason.............but considering the selection of wood, the shell construction, and the expert assembly, those drums can be labeled "just as good" but not "better".

This is true for my Gretsch shells as well as many other drums from that era or current top line offerings.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    The current Legacy line is (arguably) top of the line and still the 3-ply shell..............that hasn't changed.
    Actually, the Ludwig straight maple shells (Maple Classic 6-ply maple (70/80/90s), Super Classic 4-ply maple/poplar/maple (80/90s), and current Classic Maple 7-ply maple) have been Ludwig's top of the line drums since the early 70's when the 3-ply shells were phased out.

Ludwig reintroduced the 3-ply Maple/Poplar/Maple vintage shell as the Legacy Classic and the 3-ply Mahogany/Poplar/Mahogany vintage shell as the Legacy Mohagany to target the market of drummers wanting a vintage sound, but from drums built using modern construction methods.

So, all three lines share top of the line billing from Ludwig and all are made in the [same] Monroe facility. The higher cost of the 3-ply shells when compared to the 7-ply Classic Maple shells is likely due to higher material and manufacturing costs as well as a smaller, more specialized market for the vintage sounding shells.

Just my .02 cents ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    The marketing, the claims of superiority, and all the other BS gets really old.

Your drums -- after 44 years -- are just as good as anything out there today.
    Yes.............there are others that are also excellent and might be preferred by drummers for some detailed, specific reason.............but considering the selection of wood, the shell construction, and the expert assembly, those drums can be labeled "just as good" but not "better".

This is true for my Gretsch shells as well as many other drums from that era or current top line offerings.
    Well said and I agree. Over the last 40 years, I've owned and played the 6-ply maple classics, the 4-ply super classics, and now the 7-ply classic maples and all of them sounded great. Also, I haven't felt a need to play anything other than Ludwig for the last 40 years with one exception, my Slingerland Radio King snare drum. I'm hoping to acquire a Gretsch USA Custom maple/gum/maple snare in the future. All of these brands have sounded great for almost a century and continue to do so today ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 12-30-2016 at 05:19 PM.

User Info Menu

As much as I love the old Ludwig 3-ply shells, I think the quality and technique of modern shell construction is much better. Particularly in the joint/seam area. All those old 3-ply Ludwigs have a pretty substantial "bump" at the overlay joint. We worry about bearing edges on new drums being absolutely perfect, but back then there was an 1/8" difference at one location on every shell. By design, they were egg-shaped. For a period in time, Ludwig was applying the wrap to the flat plywood, then forming it, capturing one end of the wrap inside of the shell plies.
    I assimilate drums to automobiles. The older classics were (and still are) great, but the new stuff still outperforms it in almost all aspects. And at a relative price level remarkably close to what it was. That said, there's just something about the old classics that the new stuff can not duplicate. A certain "mojo" that stirs our emotions. I'll take a '69 Mach 1 over a new GT any day. And, I'll take a set of '69 Ludwigs over a new set of Classics any day.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

ahhh...the first amendment thing.

All of these things have their place. It just doesn't have to be yours.
    Agreed.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

"A certain "mojo" that stirs our emotions. I'll take a '69 Mach 1 over a new GT any day"

Brian, I understand where you're coming from, and having owned 9 Mustangs starting with a '65, and going from there, I've had my ups and downs with them.

What I would grab now if 1 of them showed up:

'69 Boss 302

'69 Boss 429

'69-'70 Torino with the 429 (Ford rated them at 375HP and NHRA factored them right up to 440HP)

If 1 ever showed up, I would grab a '71 Buick GSX. I've only seen 2 on the road. 1 at Englishtown about '89, and 1 on the highway in Missouri. A beautiful white 1 that I got a chance to look over in the pits. The car was pure stock 455 with the Stage 1 (from what I understand, Buick considered the 455 with the Stage 1 "stock") package and he made a couple of passes to get a time slip. Both his runs were in the 13.2-3 range at 104-5. It had a automatic and weighed almost 4,000 lbs. running stock tires.

The 455 Stage 1 was awesome and it was rated at 375 with the Stage 1 package. (that was a laugh, it was easily over 400HP) and a sticker under the hood that said that the torque was 540 ft-lbs.

The car was beautiful and the motor purred unless you were standing behind the car. While it wasn't loud, you could hear the power coming out of the pipes.

I'd take any one of them, BUT, I'm keeping my 4 cyl 'Stang with 385 HP and right at 400 ft-lbs of torque.

User Info Menu

I think I'd rather have a 428CJ Mustang or Torino. I just have a real affinity for the old FE blocks.
    I had a friend years ago that had a GSX 455 Stage1 (all stock). It was a beautiful car...and a sleeper like you said. His wife drive it and would race it occasionally. Stock street tires, full exhaust....she'd just put it in "D", hit the gas on green, keep it to the floor and let it shift on its own. She could crank out mid-13's all day like clockwork.
    Even though I'm a Ford guy, my favorite was a '70 'Cuda that another friend had. 440-6pk/auto with some mods (bored,balanced,cam,roller rockers,headers,ported heads,stall converter, gears, exhaust cut-outs, etc.). It was all black with the factory ralley wheels and a little rust on the rear quarters. That thing was testosterone on wheels. He was a farmer and kept it in the Chicken coup. I don't think he ever tuned it up or washed it. The inside smelled like mice. Every so often he'd pull it out, dump 5Gal of race fuel in it, hose the bird poop & dust off the windshield and head to town looking for a race.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I think I'd rather have a 428CJ Mustang or Torino. I just have a real affinity for the old FE blocks.
    I had a friend years ago that had a GSX 455 Stage1 (all stock). It was a beautiful car...and a sleeper like you said. His wife drive it and would race it occasionally. Stock street tires, full exhaust....she'd just put it in "D", hit the gas on green, keep it to the floor and let it shift on its own. She could crank out mid-13's all day like clockwork.
    Even though I'm a Ford guy, my favorite was a '70 'Cuda that another friend had. 440-6pk/auto with some mods (bored,balanced,cam,roller rockers,headers,ported heads,stall converter, gears, exhaust cut-outs, etc.). It was all black with the factory ralley wheels and a little rust on the rear quarters. That thing was testosterone on wheels. He was a farmer and kept it in the Chicken coup. I don't think he ever tuned it up or washed it. The inside smelled like mice. Every so often he'd pull it out, dump 5Gal of race fuel in it, hose the bird poop & dust off the windshield and head to town looking for a race.

1968 Ford Torino GT
    Specifications

Price Base price: $2,747.00
    Price as profiled: $3,939.72
    Options on car profiled: Cruise-O-Matic transmission, $220; 3.91 axle ratio, $115; Traction-Lok rear, $63.51; power steering, $84; power front disc brakes, $64.77; styled wheels, $17.69; white sidewall tires, $34; AM radio, $57

Brian, can you imagine^^^, and that's with a 428.

As for the 'Cuda. The 440 was a infinitely better street motor than the Hemi, although I would prefer a 4 barrel over tri-power. A 4 barrel makes it easier to tune.

The Hemi was a terrible street motor. You could tune it, drive it around the block, and it was out of tune.

I raced 1 at Englishtown somewhere in the mid to late '70's. Beat him by about 8 car lengths. Spinning and smokin' the tires may be cool on the street, but, at the track, when the light hits green, the last thing you want is wheelspin.

I wonder how many guys pulled up along side a GSX back in the day thinking, "this guy thinks he has a hot rod" only to be looking at tail lights a couple of seconds later.

User Info Menu

DRUMMING SHOES!!!
    what is wrong with normal shoes? And, why do they need to be so expensive.
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tamastar View Post
    DRUMMING SHOES!!!
    what is wrong with normal shoes? And, why do they need to be so expensive.
    I dunno what advantage drum shoes have over regular shoes. I just use a light pair of skate shoes, they work perfectly well. Also they don't make drum shoes for my giant feet anyway
    Last edited by xweasel; 12-31-2016 at 08:28 PM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

People who clap on 1 & 3....
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    People who clap on 1 & 3....
    Ahh.....the old "retirement home" clap

-Brian