Thread: Building Drums???

User Info Menu

Default Building Drums???

Anyone had any experience on building their own drum kit? Not like completely from scratch, but ordering the shells and the lugs and rims etc and putting it together? Is it difficult? Does it sound alright?

Any info appreciated

Thanks.
    SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-GIGGA-TISH!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Building Drums???

I have heard of ordering a low level kit that you assemble yourself but the lugs are usually on. You basically put on the heads and rims. My MCX came all assembled eg: lugs, heads and Optimounts in one box per drum and already tuned.

User Info Menu

I don't have experience but know it will cost very much that way.

User Info Menu

Calling Signia Fan...................................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Aha, PVC! Perhaps I'll try that. Thanks everyone
    SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-GIGGA-TISH!

User Info Menu

If you have some experience with power tools, meaning you are able to use a tape measure and mark holes properly, center a drill bit and drill the holes once without slipping, going sideways, punching splinters out the inside, then this is a fairly easy endeavor. It is not neccesarily a way to save a ton of money and more often than not after factoring in your labour, the shipping, buying parts, screws, heads, large assortment of sandpaper, stains, paints, clear coat, polishing compounds, not to mention this is the short list of stuff to buy, you could easily buy a kit cheaper. Once the first kit is under your belt, this cost lessens somewhat.
    What you will benefit from is gaining knowledge, tech skills you may not have had, and an enormous kick to your ego and confidence knowing that the kit you are gigging on was put together by you.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Signia is spot on. Although I have not done as you ask with new shells, I have assembled my own "custom" kits several times with used shells. I have plugged existing holes with dowel rod, drilled new ones, flattened and re-cut bearing edges with sandpaper, stained & refinished the shells, etc..

In the near future, my plans are to do exactly as you describe. I will buy brand new Keller shells and refinish/stain them on my own. Then, I'll add the lugs, hoops, etc. of my choice for a complete personalized kit. If you don't have the supplies/tools/equipment to accurately layout and drill clean holes as well as a router to cut good bearing edges, it will be a little tough to do. HOWEVER.....

Several drum building supply places that sell new Keller shells, lugs, hoops, etc., also offer added services for cutting bearing edges (several styles) and drilling the shells for hardware. One in particular offers free drilling if you buy the hardware from them. Some also offer hole layout & marking so you can drill yourself. The stain & finishing of the shells is something only you can determine yourself if you can do it. Keep in mind that the super-smooth, glossy piano-like finish that you see on new drums is a very labor, time and supply expensive process. If you are familiar with wood finishing, then you already know!

So....if you are willing to undertake the wood finishing process yourself, then you can just buy the new shells with bearing edges and holes already professionally cut & drilled. At that point, assembly is nothing more than knowing which end of a screwdriver to hold.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Perfectly said. I have re-wrapped four kits now and it's mostly tedious. Not hard to do at all.
    I do love playing a kit that I made beautiful again and assembled entirely on my own. Feels different than playing my factory kit.
    Last edited by Johnny G; 12-31-2016 at 07:36 PM.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

I think what Signia said is really the key, "What you will benefit from is gaining knowledge, tech skills you may not have had, and an enormous kick to your ego and confidence knowing that the kit you are gigging on was put together by you.".

Just by messing around with old, crappy shells, I've learned a TON about drums. I never would have dreamed there was so much involved. It's made me a more passionate drummer as well. There's a special feeling when you play an instrument you built/rebuilt/personalized. It's the same as racing a car you built yourself or living in a house you remodeled yourself.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

There are companies on-line that will sell you everything you need to assemble a kit, and will even measure and drill the the shells of your choosing. I'm not sure if they'll also finish the shells. At any rate you just need some basic tools to do this. It will cost almost twice as much as a medium/pro kit retail.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I put these together back in 1991 . I got the 6 ply maple shells direct from Keller back when you had to order them by phone . I had some Maxwin toms and a Kent bass drum that someone gave me and I used the hardware from them for these , that's why the bass drums hardware looks different .This was back when the power toms were in vogue . The sizes are square dimensions 10,12,14,15,22 and I also have a 14x8 snare with Ludwig hardware .
    In the picture they look dusty , and they may be , but it's just the lighting . All I did was use a fine grit sandpaper and a natural all in one stain/varnish . It has a satin look to it .
    I never gigged with this kit because I didn't have cases for them and after a year I sold them , I think I got a grand for them , the buyer REALLY wanted them . Then three years ago I saw them listed on Craigslist for $200 and I bought them back !
    They sound really good . I remember cutting different bearing edges on the top and bottom . Top had a 45 degree and the bottom was a 30 round over like the Gretsch edge . And since there is no label/tag all i had to do was flip the heads on the RIMS mounts and get the tone I wanted from the same drum .
    I'm going to cut the shells down to a more conventional size and redo the edges . And replace the RIMS mounts with the Atlas mounts .

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

Great story. I love how your kit found it's way back to you. Those are indeed some very deep toms. Are you going to to just trim one end and redo one bearing edge or both? How do you do bearing edges? Router table or by hand?
    I love the look of the Atlas mounts. I think that will be a great choice.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    Great story. I love how your kit found it's way back to you. Those are indeed some very deep toms. Are you going to to just trim one end and redo one bearing edge or both? How do you do bearing edges? Router table or by hand?
    I love the look of the Atlas mounts. I think that will be a great choice.
    Thanks for sharing.
    The story the guy told me on how he got the drums was pretty cool too . I live in Tucson and he bought the kit used at the Guitar Center in Phoenix !
    I met a percussionist who has a custom cabinet making business and he also makes stave bongos and congas . So he is going to help me with the mods .
    I think we're going to plug all the holes first then measure and see where to cut them . I'm going with a 10x8 and the 12x9 . The 14 will stay the same . The 15 is a six ply too but it's a bit thicker than the rest and sounds thuddy so I turned it into one of those tiny bass drums and I use it for rehearsals when I have to move gear . I'm still on the fence with the kick drum . I LOVE the way it sounds but it's too impractical to move around for gigs . But I may cut it down to a 22x16 and possibly put a mount for the toms on it . I want to turn this into a gigging kit .
    Yon will cut the edges on the table first then fine tune them by hand . I'm doing the double sided edges again , 45/30 . And I'm leaving the finish as is . I kind of like that worn in look it has . It gives it a certain mojo ... I don't know..I guess it's just me .
    The drums are very light weight . The RIMS mounts are heavy so the Atlas mounts will stream line the look and fit better in the bags , less weight .