Thread: First project of 2017 completed!

User Info Menu

Default First project of 2017 completed!

OK....it wasn't very big, and I technically started it in 2016 (this afternoon). But, it was completed in 2017.
    I had a brand new Wuhan 14" thin crash laying around for over a year. I was hoping it would be like a large splash but it was just too thin and had a very dark sound, so I replaced it with a Wuhan 14" medium crash. I tried it as a hi-hat top, but no luck. The Wuhan "thin" cymbals are like the hood on my '93 Ford Festiva...just thick enough that you can't poke your finger through it. Today, I dug it out and decided to try my luck at making an ozone crash. I made 3 "spokes" across the diameter with wide masking tape, then laid an old 12" 6-lug tom hoop on top of it. The 6 lug holes of the hoop gave me a perfect template to mark out center lines for 6 evenly spaced holes (I'm not as dumb as my wife thinks, LOL). I then measured up half way to the bell from the outside edge (2.375") on each line and BAM! Perfectly spaced hole centers. I used an 1/8" drill bit to drill pilot holes, then used a 1-1/2" hole saw to make the holes. After that, I smoothed, beveled and dressed the edges of the holes with a sanding roll in my Dremel. Here's the end result;

Now for the sound; It went from sounding like a cookie sheet to an effect cymbal I can actually use. It's explosive and bright on initial attack, like a splash, but has a China cymbal type sound on decay...like an expensive China sound. Not at all like my 16" Wuhan China. It took 90% of the trashy sound out of the crash, but left just enough for an effect. And, it still retains the same washy sustain as a crash. I can't wait to try it out tomorrow for our New Years Day gig.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: First project of 2017 completed!

Nice handy (re) work there. Awesome.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Nice job! I love the Wuhan trash crash sound ...

User Info Menu

Nice! looks good

this was my project

completed
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

That is awesome, great job.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Nice! looks good

this was my project

completed
    I'll get to that today, after the 3rd set. I love Jager, but no so much with Red Bull. I prefer it straight, right out of the freezer. Or better yet, when the Jagermiester Girls bring it around
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Took you 2 years to drill 6 holes?

C'mon Brian, take a vitamin or something. They built the bridge over the river Kwai in less time.

User Info Menu

My 1 and only project for 2017 is to make it to 2018. If not I'll find out if Dante was on to something.

User Info Menu

Great work! I would like to attempt a cymbal project, but my skill and nerves are at a low.

User Info Menu

i'd love to buy a cheap cymbal just so I could try this!

User Info Menu

Nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Took you 2 years to drill 6 holes?

C'mon Brian, take a vitamin or something. They built the bridge over the river Kwai in less time.

Well......the drill bit was dull

That's nothin. It took me 8yrs to screw a piece of plywood over the broken screen door. The more you do, the more your wife EXPECTS you to do
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Well, I intended to try it out this afternoon at our gig, but I ended up playing my full 5pc PDP kit. I used my new DW 6000 flat based cymbal stands and couldn't find a good way to attach any more cymbals. I'll have to wait until next weekend, LOL.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

"The more you do, the more your wife EXPECTS you to do"

Yeah, I've noticed that in those brief jokes that were my marriages.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Now for the sound; It went from sounding like a cookie sheet to an effect cymbal I can actually use. It's explosive and bright on initial attack, like a splash, but has a China cymbal type sound on decay...like an expensive China sound. Not at all like my 16" Wuhan China. It took 90% of the trashy sound out of the crash, but left just enough for an effect. And, it still retains the same washy sustain as a crash. I can't wait to try it out tomorrow for our New Years Day gig.
    You may want to try adding a few rivets and even some tambourine jingles with rivets. I have a "jungle crash" like that and it sounds awesome.

User Info Menu

Actually, we played a last-minute fill-in gig last Friday. It was a small place, so I used a 12" splash and this 14" ozone as primary crashes. They sounded great together and really sounded pretty good. Better than I even anticipated. It will make a great FX cymbal in a full set-up. It's awesome to take something that was headed for the dumpster and turn it into something useful.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Wuhans are great cymbals to experiment on, because they're made of nicer metal and they're cheap! Glad it worked out!
    Just be careful not to smash it a lot. If it was already extra thin to begin with, and now it has holes which remove more metal, it may crack very easily if you are not careful.

User Info Menu

Nice work Brian...

User Info Menu

I got a couple of first gen. Stagg cymbals 16&18 that are buried some place. I should dig them out and give it a shot!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    Wuhans are great cymbals to experiment on, because they're made of nicer metal and they're cheap! Glad it worked out!
    Just be careful not to smash it a lot. If it was already extra thin to begin with, and now it has holes which remove more metal, it may crack very easily if you are not careful.
    I had the same fear of it cracking. But, after deep contemplation, I decided it will be waaay more fun to smack the tar out of it until it does break. Then toss it, buy a new one for $40 and try something different!

I have a 16" Wuhan China that was free...I think it needs assaulted with a drill as well!
    -Brian