Hi all! I have a drum recording question. How common are punch in's in drum tracks? Like someone does the first verese of a song and then they get to the chours and then the drummer makes a mistake. Is it pretty common for the drummer to stop and punch in at the start of the chours or is it more common for a drummer to just start over and just play the track from start to finish until they get it right?

Every recording experience I've ever had its been get it right from start to finish. But I was talking to a friend of mine who has done some drum recording for his band and he was telling me about how his drummer had to punch in on a part of the song to get it right. I know guitar players do this all the time but I don't know if I've ever seen a drummer do it.

Also, how common is it for people to go in after a drum track has been recorded and then adjust the tempo through something like protools? I've never had this done on any tracks that I've recorded and to be honest I don't know how I would feel about having that done if my tempo was really off in a section of a song. I would just want to re-record it. But I know that there are people that would just want to fix it in the computer to save time and or money. But I think I would feel uncomfortable knowing that I did not play the part right and it was fixed by a machine.

What is everyones thoughts on these things?