Thread: 2 questions

User Info Menu

Default 2 questions

My first question is I started upgrading my cymbals from those horrible Zildjan ZBT's. I decided to go with Zildjan K's. So far I have a 20 K ride, 16 K Dark Med Thin crash and 14 K hats. Looking for 2 more crashes to pair with what I have so far?

My second question is it seems more people are going with all coated heads verses clear. Are the coated head warmer sounding?

Thanks for your input.

User Info Menu

Default Re: 2 questions

Yes .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    yes .
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I'd add an 18" K crash. Maybe a 14" as well, but I'd stick with the same series and weights. Coated heads provide a warmer and slightly muted sound with less attack compared to clear heads. I think they would compliment the dark K cymbals very well.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

1. 16 K Dark Thin and 18 K Dark Thin. (Lots $ but that doesn't seem to be an issue)
    2. Warmer with slightly less attack

User Info Menu

It all depends on what type of music you are playing. For the cymbals, I would look at adding an 18 inch crash, and possibly a china. I also prefer ride cymbals bigger than 20 inches. If you are playing louder music, the bigger crashes will serve you better.

Personally I use a 20 and 2 18 inch or 2 20's and one 18. But I play more rock than anything else. I also like to have a couple splashes in the mix.

For the heads, I'm always trying something new every time I change them out. But the coated heads have a warmer sound and a little less attack.

User Info Menu

I would do another crash either up a size or down depending on music you play...

but I'd also do a K series EFX cymbal too
    Get a nice effects cymbal in there for fun.

User Info Menu

I also have the "Dark K Thin" version of the 15 inch and the 17 inch..............love them both.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum. I'm using close to the same cymbal set up as you but chose the K Custom series. 14" K Custom Dark hats, 16" K Custom Dark crash 18" K Custom Dark crash 20" K Custom Dry ride. I suggest a 18" crash.

As others have mentioned, coated heads have a softer tone than clear heads.

User Info Menu

Thank you for all the input everyone. Gonna look at the local music store to see about picking up a 18 K thin and possibly a 15 as well. I already have a 10" A splash , so maybe an 18 oriental crash. How are the Zildjan ones? Kinda OCD with everything matching.

User Info Menu

Check out an 18" Wuhan Linear Smash if your local store has any over there ...