Thread: talking sense into my bass player

User Info Menu

Default talking sense into my bass player

Hi all,

So my band is working on this new song, and the guitarist has a very interesting riff, rock with a bit of RnB and I really like it. I started playing to it and came up with something I feel to be very appropriate. Later the bass player showed up, and started doing something...well not much in line with what I was hoping (I was hoping he'd follow me, especially in this quarter-note triplet the guitarist accents at the end of the riff, so it would have some cool punch, ala Use Me).

I told him to just play my rhythm, which he listened to, and it seemed he didn't understand i want him to follow the snare and bd...and on that triplet thing he adds basically a pick up note to each so it sounds like a horse galloping instead of some smooth bass. He then responded he doesn't always have to lock with me, which is true, but then I had us play another song where I play exactly along with him (which between the SD BD means only about 4-5 notes per par) and how good it sounds...

Then on another new song, I do something break-beat inspired (which they both love) and I don't play anything between the 6th and 8th 8th notes, just leave the HH open. I told the bassist to do the same, just let that note there ring out. Again, same issue, doesn't understand (I actually wrote down 1+2+3+___+ to show what I meant), doesn't want to just play with me. In general, I feel he mutes the bass too often (I told him he has a sexy instrument and he should let it sing!)

The thing with this project is that it is very slow in developing, and honestly, right now it could start really doing something, and adding two more songs would mean we could start gigging if we add in 4 or so covers. So in order to get some progress, we really need to get this done, and I don't think I could make it any easier for him than simply saying "play with me".

I totally get not liking being told what to do. And I know the feeling of being asked to play something that maybe you can't. In this case, I feel it's actually easier for him, and while niether of us are professionals, it isn't rocket science how bass and drums work. I'm actually thinking of asking my teacher and his bassist (both pros) to come in a show us what to do...

Anyway, help, advice, comments, sympathy welcome!

User Info Menu

Default Re: talking sense into my bass player

theres been many times with many bands that we have seen a structural rhythm difference. But as a musician it's important to keep a constructive ear and take advice or ideas from anyone. You never know what just may be that magical sound and beat.

User Info Menu

Unless it's your song and you're in the studio and you are paying everyone to play the parts as you want them to be ... I would ay let it go .
    Obsessing over a very small part on an otherwise VERY GOOD song is pointless . When you start gigging there will way more important things to be obsessing about . You run the risk of running off a good , and maybe the only one you'll have for a while , bass player who has put in as much time as anyone else . And you run the risk of being cast as a jerk who has to have things his way . It's a very fine line and you can take it too far...but you can always pull it back and let this thing go .
    It's music and everyone has their own interpretation of it . That's the beauty of playing with others . I've been there MANY times . I wouldn't trash a friendship over it .

User Info Menu

I agree. I don't know how serious the band thing is for you, but I try not to get to concerned with such technical details anymore. In the past, I've tried to work out details like that. The problem is, once we get it down in practice, the first time we get on a live stage everyone forgets how we practiced it and it all goes out the window anyway. All it did was take up practice time that was better spent on nailing the basic song structure, feel, endings, etc.. Sometimes it just made the person stress out more and had a negative effect on their playing. Once we get a song down and are comfortable with it, we then go back and address the details. Unless his bass pattern is causing a serious clash or making it hard for you to play, I'd just find a groove that matches what he wants to play and move on. If there's a real potential in this group, I'd hate to see someone lose interest over stress.

You need to let paint cure before you polish it.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 01-02-2017 at 01:57 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    And you run the risk of being cast as a jerk who has to have things his way . It's a very fine line and you can take it too far...but you can always pull it back and let this thing go .
    It's music and everyone has their own interpretation of it . That's the beauty of playing with others . I've been there MANY times . I wouldn't trash a friendship over it .
    VEry good point, i actually did start feeling like the guitarist from my old band who I quit because of (i mentioned it to him the other day as we are still friends).

The thing is, it;s not a question of his groove vs mine,its a question of I have an idea what to play and it sounds good, he isn't sure what to play/what he plays sounds kinda crappy...

I want to send him this link, but even i have some social intelligence... http://www.premierguitar.com/article...s-get-personal

User Info Menu

It might help if you showed him an example of what you had in mind. Like on the triplet thing you could take a an old Iron maiden song like "The Trooper" and word it like "You know I really like What Steve Harris is playing here,I bet a similar part would sound pretty hip in our song!"
    But yeah I agree you gotta be careful to not come out as a control freak. Bass players are hard to find so don't run him off.....

User Info Menu

Ok, maybe I misread the thread title. "Talking Sense into my bass player"

Is this even possible? He is a bassist, after all.. LOL
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

We have 2 bass driven songs and just now found a bassist. He's also happy being a bass player and does not want to play guitar so that's good. But for the past 6 months or so it was just the guitar player and myself. It took a long time finding him so we're taking it slow giving him a chance to gel . If he's not stuck in his ways like some bassist are, and all the other band mates are giving input also he might catch on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post

I want to send him this link, but even i have some social intelligence... http://www.premierguitar.com/article...s-get-personal
    That was an excellent article.

User Info Menu

Wait till you have to talk sense to a guitar player. Their IQ's usually start in negative numbers. If you use more than 2 syllables, they look at it as English as a 2nd language.

I talked to 1 guitar player who thought that the theory of relativity was a explanation of who his relatives were, and he thought that a 4 speed car meant that the car could do 20, 40, 60, and 80, but nothing in between.

Our singer asked if she could just shoot him. I told her that that wasn't a good idea (actually it was) but the next time we rehearsed, to bring him crayons and a coloring book.

The amazing thing was that he wasn't the worse guitar player I've worked with.

User Info Menu

One wonders what they say about us on their forums....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    One wonders what they say about us on their forums....

Probably nothing. I doubt if they know what a drummer is or what he/she does.