Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floor tom

User Info Menu

Default Floor tom

Need advice for future reference. I'm going to put my 16" floor tom back on it's 3 legs, but I had previously mounted it on my ride cymbal stand using one 9.5mm L-rod clamp. But I wasn't comfortable with it, was thinking the weight would be too much and crack it. Anyone done this ? Did it work ok ? I couldn't situate my ride cymbal like I wanted it anyway, so this factored in too.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Floor tom

It depends upon the stability of your mounting system.

I gigged with a 15" floor tom suspended from a Yamaha WS 850 tom stand using a RIMS mount for about 5 years until I converted it over to legs. It worked fine for me. I would be a bit reluctant to suspend a 16 although I'm sure others do it with no problems. I just prefer the stability and play ability of floor toms with legs.

Btw, I had a 20" ride, a 18" crash, and the 15" floor tom all mounted on a single WS 850 with the triple hole clamp. I experienced no stability issues and was able to position each cymbal/drum exactly where I wanted it.
    Last edited by dangermoney; 01-13-2017 at 04:56 PM.

User Info Menu

I've never owned a set with suspended floor toms so my opinion is just based on gut feeling (i.e. I don't know...), - I'd have no problem with suspending a 14" FT but I'd worry about the stresses caused by the weight of a 16 incher, especially a 'square' 16 x 16. I suppose using a RIMS style mount would avoid stressing the shell, but I would be concerned about the longevity of the ball joint of the tom mount due to the excessive weight.

If you can't get your FT/Ride in a comfortable position when you suspend the tom then its pointless suspending the FT. If you find you lose resonance from the FT when you fit legs try some of those rubber 'booty shakers' under the FT legs and it should be restored.

User Info Menu

IMO...a mounted floor is not really a floor, but a mounted tom. FT's got their name because they stood on the floor.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I used to mount an extra 14" and 16" fl tom using an L rod, never had any problems.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=NPYYZ;699450]I used to mount an extra 14" and 16" fl tom using an L rod, never had any problems.

Damn, dude. Really? I bow down to the Monster kit!!!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    IMO...a mounted floor is not really a floor, but a mounted tom. FT's got their name because they stood on the floor.

all the best...
    I agree

User Info Menu

I have a vintage 16x14 Ludwig concert tom that I'm going to convert to Floor tom use. I'd rather not drill holes in it for the leg brackets (I may want to convert it back to a hanging concert tom), so I bought a RIMS mount, heavy duty Gibraltar L-rod clamp and a rigid L-rod bracket to hang off of a cymbal stand. It seems more than strong enough in trial. If not, I planned on trying two other options;

1) switch from L-rod to a Pearl 7/8" tube bracket mounted on the RIMS and use a Pearl tube arm.

2) buy a Worldmax floor tom suspension kit that uses legs.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I have a vintage 16x14 Ludwig concert tom that I'm going to convert to Floor tom use. I'd rather not drill holes in it for the leg brackets (I may want to convert it back to a hanging concert tom), so I bought a RIMS mount, heavy duty Gibraltar L-rod clamp and a rigid L-rod bracket to hang off of a cymbal stand. It seems more than strong enough in trial. If not, I planned on trying two other options;

1) switch from L-rod to a Pearl 7/8" tube bracket mounted on the RIMS and use a Pearl tube arm.

2) buy a Worldmax floor tom suspension kit that uses legs.
    nah! get three Ludwig floor legs brackets from ebay or somewhere and make it into a real floor tom.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...
    What does one call a floor tom mounted on a bass drum riser with a kick pedal attached? A mounted kick tom?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    What does one call a floor tom mounted on a bass drum riser with a kick pedal attached? A mounted kick tom?

I would say that by virtue of having a kick pedal attached it becomes a kick!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I would mount it with a rim mount. Never directly from the shell. A rim mount would resonate better too.

If you were to mount from the shell, flip the drum over and use one of the floor tom mounts with an L rod clamp.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Stop trying to re-invent the wheel---legs=floor tom, no legs=not a floor tom---my mounted toms are mounted to the bass drum, and my floor toms have legs---anything else is time/money wasted for little to no gain!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    Stop trying to re-invent the wheel---legs=floor tom, no legs=not a floor tom---my mounted toms are mounted to the bass drum, and my floor toms have legs---anything else is time/money wasted for little to no gain!
    agree!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I play a floor bass drum and all my stands are floor stands. I play a mounted snare, toms, and mounted cymbals.
    Semantics...
    FWIW, to me, any tom 14" and over, not above a bass drum, with its heads in a plane roughly parallel to the floor is a floor tom. I don't care what holds it in the air.
    Last edited by noreastbob; 01-15-2017 at 01:28 PM.

User Info Menu

I actually sold a really nice kit, Yamaha Beech Custom, because the 16" tom was mounted and I was really concerned it would crack. That just seemed like way too much pressure at one spot with those Yamaha YESS mounts. 10 years later it's fine and the kid I sold it too beats the mess out of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    I actually sold a really nice kit, Yamaha Beech Custom, because the 16" tom was mounted and I was really concerned it would crack. That just seemed like way too much pressure at one spot with those Yamaha YESS mounts. 10 years later it's fine and the kid I sold it too beats the mess out of it.
    I've never been a fan of the Yamaha mounting system. Not only the weight, but the screws would strip after a while and you wouldn't be able to tighten the ball rod.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I've never been a fan of the Yamaha mounting system. Not only the weight, but the screws would strip after a while and you wouldn't be able to tighten the ball rod.
    I've never had any actual problems with the mounts on the drums, but they do concern me on any drum 14 or bigger. I do agree about the screw that holds the ball mount - they all eventually strip. Luckily it always just the screw and not the female part of the mount itself, so it's easily replaceable, but still a pain. I always have 2 or 3 extra screws in my case for when this happens, which always seems to be at a gig.

Why does Gibraltar not make any Yamaha style hex rod mounts? That would be a no-brainer replacement for me.

User Info Menu

I had my PDP tom also on an l-rod for a short time before putting it on a STM mount. Also held fine for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    I've never had any actual problems with the mounts on the drums, but they do concern me on any drum 14 or bigger. I do agree about the screw that holds the ball mount - they all eventually strip. Luckily it always just the screw and not the female part of the mount itself, so it's easily replaceable, but still a pain. I always have 2 or 3 extra screws in my case for when this happens, which always seems to be at a gig.

Why does Gibraltar not make any Yamaha style hex rod mounts? That would be a no-brainer replacement for me.
    I've been using them forever and I find that the old ones are bullet proof unlike the new ones which have the cheesy screws. I had a new one strip out on me at a gig and since then, I'm careful not to over tighten them and they have been doing fine since then.

Where did you get your spare screws from?

Also, I believe that Gibraltar does make a Yamaha style ball/hex mount.

User Info Menu

I was looking for the gas thread but came upon this one...

My new to me 16x16 Tama Rockstar floor tom MIJ. Now I have a matching set! Have been using the 16x18 for a long time and it has always sounded pretty good.

I have a set of 12 and 13" Tama Rockstar DX toms for the top end of my set but mainly use just the 13.

thumbnail (3).jpg
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I was looking for the gas thread but came upon this one...

My new to me 16x16 Tama Rockstar floor tom MIJ. Now I have a matching set! Have been using the 16x18 for a long time and it has always sounded pretty good.

I have a set of 12 and 13" Tama Rockstar DX toms for the top end of my set but mainly use just the 13.

thumbnail (3).jpg
    Nice find slinky! I know it's a good feeling finding a matching piece.

User Info Menu

my 16" Yamaha maple custom weighs a ton and it's on a simple yes mount for 15 years now.. no issues and a lot of playing and traveling.

User Info Menu

You mean it's not a Leg Tom Tom?
    All my drums are on the floor, although every single one of them has something holding them between them and the floor.
    Last edited by noreastbob; 12-09-2017 at 10:42 AM.

User Info Menu

My Yamaha maple custom has no legs on the 16" floor tom no.