Thread: New bass drum head

User Info Menu

Default New bass drum head

I just got my new bass drum head for my 22". It is black with the Gretsch logo offset. Can't wait to put it on but haven't decided if I want to put a port hole in it. I guess it really doesn't matter does it? The sound I don't think will change any. Besides I am going to have it on the front of my 22" bass drum for everyone to see at the talent show. And I got a really good deal on it from Amazon.

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: New bass drum head

The port will change the sound. The air can escape faster. I kind of regret porting mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I ported both of my heads. No regrets...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I ported both of my heads. No regrets...

The one on the right looks more like a "peep hole" than a port hole

I have both ported and non-ported heads on my kits. I've determined that I like the feel and sound of a ported head...as long as it's not bigger than 4" (on a 22" head). I put a 6" port on my 22" PDP and I don't like it. It was all they had at GC at the time and I had a gig the next night which required a port for a mic.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 01-17-2017 at 06:08 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I prefer ported, mainly from the standpoint of how it feels on my right foot. I personally don't like the forceful rebound that you get on a non-ported head. I bury my beater when I kick.

Tex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    The one on the right looks more like a "peep hole" than a port hole

I have both ported and non-ported heads on my kits. I've determined that I like the feel and sound of a ported head...as long as it's not bigger than 4" (on a 22" head). I put a 6" port on my 22" PDP and I don't like it. It was all they had at GC at the time and I had a gig the next night which required a port for a mic.
    I have seen a few drummers use a mic in front of unported bass drums? I dont think you need the hole unless your playing big ol arena's
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I port all of my heads. But I play a lot of dbl bass

User Info Menu

I find there's a lot of rebound if one doesn't port the reso head, and yes it makes a difference in sound, a noticeable one, unlike virgin vs no virgin kick drums

User Info Menu

I put a Fiberskyn reso head on my set at church. Didn't port it, and I can't feel a noticeable difference................I do think it sounds better.

It was my first time............every other head I had was ported

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    I have seen a few drummers use a mic in front of unported bass drums? I dont think you need the hole unless your playing big ol arena's
    Very true! I've done that before. I've also had good luck sticking an SM57 on the floor by the kick pedal. I've just found having a port hole makes it much easier in terms of stage space, sound adjustment, wind noise (if playing outdoors), etc.. When your stage is an 8' deep flatbed trailer and you need to have guitar player, monitors, mic stands, etc. packed around you, our it's windy outside, it's nice to be able to lay a mic inside the drum. I also like being able to reach inside to change or adjust the pillow.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

That will look very good. Installing a port will indeed change the sound (for the better IMHO). It will also change the rebound on your resonant head.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 01-18-2017 at 08:27 AM.

User Info Menu

If you bury the beater when you play, port works better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    As far as recording, a huge difference in sound on a non-ported reso head so I had to mic the reso with a 57 since I couldn't hear the beater.

User Info Menu

My new kick drum head was delivered literally 10 minutes ago:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    My new kick drum head was delivered literally 10 minutes ago:

I like the older one better but it still looks good. Font reminds me of a ransome note.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I like the older one better but it still looks good. Font reminds me of a ransome note.
    The other one is on my 24" kick. I thought that it would be too busy when shrunk down to the 22".