Thread: Gibraltar price hike and parts availability

User Info Menu

Default Gibraltar price hike and parts availability

I spent most of the day pricing out pieces for a Gibraltar Stealth Rack and I'm drawing a conclusion that DW is liquidating much of the "old" Gibraltar inventory that were on the books when they were owned by Fender Musical Instrument Corporation (FMIC) before the DW buyout.

A few of the big box stores are showing "Item No Longer Carried" on common items on one website but have a few pieces left in stock at their "sister" stores with steep discounts. My local music store is out of stock on many Gibraltar items due to a $500 minimum order and they seem in no hurry to fill or to take any special order items for Gibraltar products.

Anybody else besides Zack have any issues getting the right Gibraltar parts?

Could this spell the end of some innovated products from Gibraltar?

Thanks.....

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gibraltar price hike and parts availability

Hope not. That was one of the brands I could always count on for quality made items that were affordable on a gigging musician's budget.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

While I haven't had any problems getting parts I've needed from them, I have noticed that many sites have either raised prices significantly or dropped them.
    I'm not really sure what's going on...maybe they are going to merge all of the Gibraltar drumset stuff into PDP, and LP for percussion hardware? That seems like a bad idea though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Hope not. That was one of the brands I could always count on for quality made items that were affordable on a gigging musician's budget.
    Me too. Gibraltar filled a void left by the major manufacturers on replacement parts when the OEM product(s) were no longer available. I hate to see them folded into the DW/PDP line. Competition always garnered competitive pricing and innovation.

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    While I haven't had any problems getting parts I've needed from them, I have noticed that many sites have either raised prices significantly or dropped them.
    I'm not really sure what's going on...maybe they are going to merge all of the Gibraltar drumset stuff into PDP, and LP for percussion hardware? That seems like a bad idea though.
    I'm fearing such a scenario. One would have to ask why have a brand name (Gibraltar) that was once in competition with their own brand DW/PDP?

User Info Menu

I bought an sc-gca last year. $45 works great. I looked at them when I got my new crashes a month ago and they're now $67.99. No grease on the bolts either. However the boom stand I got on amazon was priced great and the quality is incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I bought an sc-gca last year. $45 works great. I looked at them when I got my new crashes a month ago and they're now $67.99. No grease on the bolts either. However the boom stand I got on amazon was priced great and the quality is incredible.
    Wow! A $22.99+ difference in price? I ordered a chrome road rack with two side wings and with the price drop and an additional $27.00 off, I got for $270 shipped.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Wow! A $22.99+ difference in price? I ordered a chrome road rack with two side wings and with the price drop and an additional $27.00 off, I got for $270 shipped.

The cheapest I can find that rack here is $560 on Amazon. Which is about $440 US

-Mike

User Info Menu

At L&M taken by me.

-Mike

User Info Menu

My bad. $65.99

-Mike

User Info Menu

I have 3 of those, and they were $25 when I bought the first 2, and $40 when I bought the last one $65 is getting ridiculous!

User Info Menu

Competition always garnered competitive pricing and innovation.
    As you say Late8...Competition is what drives the horse. I'm sure some other maker will step in and fill the niche. This isn't hi tech stuff that requires a ton of R&D to produce.

all the best...

User Info Menu

yeah it's even worse that my boss won't place in any orders because they have a minimum order fee or they charge crazy shipping pricing. So my boss just refuses to order anything right now which sucks.

User Info Menu

International trade is a double edged sword. We all want to see jobs come back to the States, but as we negotiate trade deals, don't be surprised if we start to see rising prices on much of the Pacific Rim made products. I'm betting prices on many mid-level kits (like Catalinas, PDP Concepts, Stage Customs, etc.) will start to rise in the next year. Chinese made cymbals like Wuhan, Dream and Kasza will probably go up as well. In addition, your typical trip to Walmart or Home Depot will cost more as well. If the economy continues on its current path to recovery, oil will go up and hence plastics as well. That's just how things work.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

My bad. $65.99

Wow Mike! That's just nuts! Thanks for posting the pic!

Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    I have 3 of those, and they were $25 when I bought the first 2, and $40 when I bought the last one $65 is getting ridiculous!
    I agree, $65.00 for a cymbal grabber is too much! I paid the same as you $25.00 shipped including tax. I bought 3 for myself as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    As you say Late8...Competition is what drives the horse. I'm sure some other maker will step in and fill the niche. This isn't hi tech stuff that requires a ton of R&D to produce.

all the best...
    I doubt it if another company will step in. I've ordered Gibraltar and Ludwig hardware and in my opinion, it comes from the same factory in Taiwan where Pearl and DW/PDP hardware is produced. The cardboard shipping box that the hardware comes in is from the same shipper. It's a matter of relabeling the item with a particular company trademark at the plant then it ships.

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    yeah it's even worse that my boss won't place in any orders because they have a minimum order fee or they charge crazy shipping pricing. So my boss just refuses to order anything right now which sucks.
    Same situation with my local music store. They are NOT in any hurry to order from DW.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    International trade is a double edged sword. We all want to see jobs come back to the States, but as we negotiate trade deals, don't be surprised if we start to see rising prices on much of the Pacific Rim made products. I'm betting prices on many mid-level kits (like Catalinas, PDP Concepts, Stage Customs, etc.) will start to rise in the next year. Chinese made cymbals like Wuhan, Dream and Kasza will probably go up as well. In addition, your typical trip to Walmart or Home Depot will cost more as well. If the economy continues on its current path to recovery, oil will go up and hence plastics as well. That's just how things work.
    I agree with everything you wrote. Now is the time to stock up on hardware.

User Info Menu

My bad. $65.99

Wow, the last time I bought one of those cymbal arms they were $29.00

User Info Menu

I agree with the changes coming be on the watch for prices to just go ^^^^^^^

User Info Menu

i heard about the price hike about 4 months ago ..i ended up getting all new heavy duty stands and now my hardware case is way to heavy