Thread: New Crashes are Here!

User Info Menu

Default New Crashes are Here!

So I had posted a thread previous to the "Great Drum Chat Glitch of 2017" about getting some new crashes for both my son and my birthdays. Well I picked them up yesterday from my instructor. I had thought for some reason that they were the Bliss line from Dream, but are actually the Contact line. I bought both a 17" and a 16" for us. My son's birthday is Saturday, so I will have to wait to change our setup until after his party. I was doing some research on the Dream lines and a couple of sites said the Contacts resemble the classic Zildjian A's, which is nice as the rest of my set up are A's (hats, ride). I will post pics once the cymbals are on.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Crashes are Here!

Great gift dad!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spazapproved View Post
    great gift dad!
    +1

User Info Menu

+2

User Info Menu

So here they are on the kit!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

^^Very nice! Congrats! How do they sound??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    ^^Very nice! Congrats! How do they sound??
    I like them. They have a quick crash with a little trashiness and not a ton of sustain to them. Definitely a step up from the 18" ZBT Crash/Ride (which is now on my youngest son's kit).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    I like them. They have a quick crash with a little trashiness and not a ton of sustain to them. Definitely a step up from the 18" ZBT Crash/Ride (which is now on my youngest son's kit).
    Thanks! I'll definitely check them out!

User Info Menu

So here they are on the kit!
    Remind me of old A's................congrats

User Info Menu

congrats again. They look good.

User Info Menu

I couldn't help notice how you're using weights to keep the hihat stand from creeping up as you play and I have had similar issues too. Here's one solution: "Dog bone" or use clamps that have eyelet-to-wing nut clamping devices and find the nearest cymbal stand (in your case, it's the cymbal right next the hihat stand) and secure both stands together. Most of the time, the first crash cymbal is somewhere in the vicinity of the hihat stands and I found by anchoring both stand together will alleviate any movement while you're playing.

I found some extra clamps in my hardware box and with a little bit of luck, I was able to link the clamps together on the down tube for both stands.

Or:

You can purchase and actual dog bone clamp new ($60+) or used (prices may vary) that looks like this: Ddrum Mercury-D-Bone

Here's the DW version of a similar design: Note how each differ in length. If you choose to go this route, it will be a worth while investment because there nothing more frustrating than having stands move while you're playing.

User Info Menu

This is the "dogbone" (I call mine a monster clamp) I bought..............super versatile.
    I drilled the rivets out of my HH stand and completely removed the tripod.
    I clamp the hat stand to a nearby cymbal stand and there is zero clutter at my left foot.
    Getting to the slave bass pedal and back to the hat pedal is a breeze.

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    This is the "dogbone" (I call mine a monster clamp) I bought..............super versatile.
    I drilled the rivets out of my HH stand and completely removed the tripod.
    I clamp the hat stand to a nearby cymbal stand and there is zero clutter at my left foot.
    Getting to the slave bass pedal and back to the hat pedal is a breeze.

Hey Ricky! I was looking for this exact item online for myself and I even went to the Gibraltar website to see if there was a "knock off" but no luck. Is that a DW product? If so, can you tell what you paid for yours so I can price compare if I can locate it? Thanks!

User Info Menu

It is a Gibraltar product.................and a very good one................SC-EA300................heavy duty...............5 pounds or more.

Google it and you'll find it for around $70.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Thank you sir!

User Info Menu

Wow thanks guys! I hate having the weights there (and the stand still creeps) so I will definitely look at the dog bone solution. Yet another reason I love this forum!

User Info Menu

Photos of the result.....................

Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Wow thanks guys! I hate having the weights there (and the stand still creeps) so I will definitely look at the dog bone solution. Yet another reason I love this forum!
    You're welcome OldeEnglishD! As direct result of using either a double bass set up or just a double bass pedal, I fold the legs of my hihat and use a straight rack tube and I bolt it to either the rack or a cymbal stand but I find it necessary to hunt for a vertical tube in order to use the 90 degree multi-clamp and that scenario can have its limitations. With that in mind, I ordered the Gibraltar flex arm extension yesterday and I no longer have to sweat it out trying to find a viable solution to keep things from creeping away.

Last edited by late8; 02-02-2017 at 08:39 AM.

User Info Menu

You'll love the monster clamp..................so versatile.................and massive enough to hold vertical any stand you own.
    And once you get it set up like you need, it will hold that form forever if you so desire.
    In addition, if any guitarist gets a smart mouth about my chops, I have found it to be the best weapon in my hardware bag.
    That thing will crack his skull and his fret-board in seconds.......................gives them a whole new meaning to the word "percussion".
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

OK, I rigged a single attachment mount (attached to my main crash stand) to my bass drum cowbell mount and used the clamp that is supposed to go on the bass drum hoop to clamp one of the tripod legs to my hi-hat stand. Seems to be working for now, until I can run out and pick up a dogbone clamp. Thanks again guys, now I can get rid of the weights by my feet.

User Info Menu

OK, I rigged a single attachment mount (attached to my main crash stand) to my bass drum cowbell mount and used the clamp that is supposed to go on the bass drum hoop to clamp one of the tripod legs to my hi-hat stand. Seems to be working for now, until I can run out and pick up a dogbone clamp. Thanks again guys, now I can get rid of the weights by my feet.
    Glad it's working out! I can't wait until my flex extension arm arrives. It will give me more options if I don't have anything straight in front of me to anchor the hihat stand from creeping forward.

User Info Menu

Hmmm, not seeing the cymbal pictures. (if that's what they are.)
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Hmmm, not seeing the cymbal pictures. (if that's what they are.)
    I posted a picture of them on my kit above. Took a birds eye view to show them both.

User Info Menu

I posted a picture of them on my kit above. Took a birds eye view to show them both.
    Today the pictures work.....
    Signature here